Which carbon 29er fork

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chicken Legs

Which carbon 29er fork

Post by Chicken Legs »

I have had a couple of carbon 29er forks, the Van Nicholas was damaged by flying slate (thanks Gabes) and a Maxxis which will not be purchased again !
So what is the general consensus on the following; Van Nicholas VNT £215, Whisky No 7 £285 or the Niner carbon rigid nude £350.
It would be very easy to go for the Van Nicholas, (cheapest), as it did take a hefty whack and still remain intact but I couldn't trust it with a dink
in it, so what are your thoughts on the other two ?

Andy
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
ScotRoutes

Re: Which carbon 29er fork

Post by ScotRoutes »

In typical fashion, I'll suggest another alternative - Exotic CC.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Can't speak about the Niner rigid nude as I've got the Niner RDO carbon...but I can say that Niner do a good job in the fork department. Only downer about it is my Revelate bar harness is chewing it up :(

Greetz

S.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I have to say I've been very happy with my Shand-branded one. Like all other carbon forks out there, its the product of some far-eastern factory, but in terms of style, it's a lot nicer than some out there, and it terms of function, at least as good as the rest. Can be had for circa £250, but you'll need to email them I think.
Dragons by special request (and cost!)
Gari

Post by Gari »

Sorry to hijack the thread, but what a-c length are those forks Ian please?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I'm looking at an exotic one. You can get one with a 15mm maxle for just over £100 and the crown design with alloy steerer means less faff with bungs and routing a cycle2charge cable. The circular leg profile should also mean adding cages is easier.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

For a little/lot more money and one hell of a lot more comfort look no further than http://www.laufforks.com/lauf-trail-racer/
Ian

Post by Ian »

Gari wrote:Sorry to hijack the thread, but what a-c length are those forks Ian please?
485mm
Gari

Post by Gari »

Thanks. Way too long:-(
Ian

Post by Ian »

I think the Bahookie is corrected for 120mm forks, so that's a point worth noting for anyone considering one.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I'm on a similar mission, looking for a set of 15mm through axle tapered disc compatible forks with an a-c of around 400-420mmm and clearance for 45-50mm tyres. The only success I've had is with the whiskey number 9 cx fork or if I compromise on tyre width, there are a couple of options from TRP and Easton. All of these are between. £350 and £400 which seems very expensive. Many of the newer breed of gravel bikes and disc cx bikes are being specked with through axle but getting reasonably priced forks seems tricky at the moment. Any thoughts?
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Thanks for your input chaps, the Shand looks nice, the Lauff looks odd to me, (sorry John) but I do quite fancy the niner,
decisions, decisions :???:
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Gari

Post by Gari »

@pistonbroke, that is exactly what I am after for my WTF. Most of the newer gravel bikes have 400mm a-c forks on them; RLT, OnOne models such as BishBashBosh and the Tomac etc, but not for resale separately :sad: Kenesis do a CX fork but not 15mm unfortunately.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Chicken Legs wrote:Thanks for your input chaps, the Shand looks nice, the Lauff looks odd to me, (sorry John) but I do quite fancy the niner,
decisions, decisions :???:
It sure looks odd, you can't see it while you are riding it but you can really feel it "absorb the ride"
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

my on one carbon monocock forks are great and only £140, pretty comfy , and dead strong.. taken them over jumps and down drops etc good stuff !!! Image
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Another option?

http://enve.com/products/mountain-fork/

Bit expensive but they look unbelievably good.
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

I've got a set of the Niners' ......excellent quality, look great, very light yet robust but pricey
I've also got some of the carbon legged aluminium steerer exotics.......cheaper, still light but harsher ride
hope this helps
paramart

Post by paramart »

as above I own both niner and exotics, niner for general use and the exotics for bikepacking duties, niner tracks really well and super strong and light, but the exotics have had a real battering and I like the fork crown as harness fits better and no need to tape it up, would recommend the alloy steerer though
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I've had the on one carbons they are strong! Quite stiff though.

Run niners now. They are much more compliant and comfy
FLV

Post by FLV »

My Whiskey forks are good (No 9), They are good. Stiffer than Krampus steel forks, not as stiff the on-one's that Ian and George mention.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Using the Salsa Firestarter fork, which is damn near as the same Whiskey N0.9 Mountain fork, for over two years now. Can't fault it in any way. Comfortable, light, and has taken a hammering offroad.

Have used an exxotic in the past and found it a bit flexy for me under hard cornering, but no worse than an old pair of SIDs

Johnclimber - with regards to the Lauf forks I repeat:

tenbears10

Post by tenbears10 »

Salsa do a carbon firestarter fork which is 15mm through axle I think. I've not used it because I went for the cheaper steel option. It also has the 3 bolt pattern on the legs to use salsa's anything cages (which I do have).

What GregMay said :-bd
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

I'm with FLV, Whiskey no9 forks are great. Happy with mine, stiff enough, but compliant enough. Nice and burly too. I had on-one forks on the lurcher, I didn't find them that stuff, and man, they were fugly.
Mart

Post by Mart »

2924 miles per Gallon
FLV

Post by FLV »

Axles came loose in mine. All the time, First one and the one mike replaced it with.