Removing tyre advice

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Blackhound

Removing tyre advice

Post by Blackhound »

I was trying to remove a tyre last night and could not get a start on it. Two weeks ago I tried to remove the front- in the hot weather- but I could not shift it. Returned to it last night and it popped off first time. Then the rear refused to budge. I must have been there 30 minutes.
The rims are tubeless Hunt 4 season gravel disc and tyre a WTB Riddler 45mm if of any relevance.
It feels, almost, that it is glued in. To be clear I am running tubes, no sealant.

There is slow puncture in the rear so I need to get it off, the tyre is nearly new (Two big rides) so I don't want to cut it off, I am far too tight for that.

Any advice? TIA.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Removing tyre advice

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have you got access to a vice Kevin? Failing that, a pair of vice grips will usually break the bead. Failing that, then a G clamp :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Hard to do with smaller tyres but stand on the tyre and use the rim as a lever - dont put the wheel on the ground disc side down or you will bend it
Some of the new tubeless rims are just impossible* to remove without tools** and even an inner tube will pop the bead on them - looks at alpkit sonder rims on my broken road

* it make me wary to go bikepacking on them as a puncture will be game over or i need to carry tools for this
** my preferred method is some mole grips or plumber plyers and a tea towel over the tyre [ i did it once without and popped the tyre with the knurled bit of the grips]. Less leverage on smaller tyres but never had it with my road or gravel tyres
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Thanks both, I haven't got a vice but will try some grips again.

Their has been some progress. I left the wheel outside overnight and when I tried a short while ago one side popped off, I removed the tube but the other side still will not budge.

Over the years I have had few issues with tubeless and sealant and always got tyres off when necessary so this is a first. I wondered if it was to do with tolerances. I have two sets of wheels, mtb and gravel and switch wheels as required. These 45mm tyres went on the gravel wheels but next time I will try on the mtb Mavic rims. I am sure I checked they were suitable.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Thanks Stu and Lazarus. Using grips did not seem to be working so went back to thumbs and it had loosened off enough for me to remove it. I just did a little skip around the garden with a wheel in one hand and a tyre in the other.

I took these wheels on a small trip to the start of the TCR and back, I would have been in big trouble if I had a flat when I was over there. The rear had started to soften slightly but not enough to deal with on the road.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I feel your pain, literally, I had bleeding fingernails trying to get a WTB tyre off a rim last year

Had to do the standing on the tyre thing whilst pulling up on the rim
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Pedros levers and if that fails, try standing on it to snap the bead
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:02 pm Pedros levers and if that fails, try standing on it to snap the bead
I always use 3 levers (well, when they're stubborn like that). Pedros and ParkT. All industrial types. Works really well and by the time the first 2 are wedged in, the 3rd just breaks the seal - sometimes with alot of pressure...
slarge

Post by slarge »

I keep getting a thing on Facebook for a tyre bead tool - looks like a crooked pair of pliers. Hasn't come up for a few days or I'd post a link.....
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I use Pedro's levers and some BBB tool for difficult tyres but with no success. Maybe it is a WTB issue as Shewie also struggled. I like the tyres but a bit put off getting another pair.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Not much help, but I recall having a lot of trouble with Hunt 4 season rims and WTB tyres a few years ago. They were the last set of WTB tyres I used and hadn't encountered a problem since, until fitting my usual tyres onto a new set of WTB rims a few weeks ago! Perhaps its a WTB thing :???:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have the tyre bead tool but only really works for seating them, not taking them off

Nothing to add as most of the things I would've done have already been recommended. Always slightly worrying when a job at home is grief, would be impossible out on the trail!