Jones bars, comfort and numbness

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Re: Jones bars, comfort and numbness

Post by ScotRoutes »

Single Speed George wrote:I might just be weird, lucky, or just young and resilient , but don't get all thus weird expensive bike packing bars stuff... I have never got any particular hand pain and I have rigged forks. The bars I use are just normal but super wide like 800 haha , flat aluminum bars , with quite fat lock on grips ... Spot on for me anyway and cheep! And just well ,normal ;)
I'm pretty ambivalent about Jones bars. I have them on the fatbike as they seem to add a level of added "finesse" when negotiating soft snow. My (bikepacking) Pact has carbon flats with bar ends - and I was using it rigid this weekend too. I must try the Jone Loops on it at some point, just to finally decide if they are adding anything.
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

Ben98 wrote:
Single Speed George wrote:I might just be weird, lucky, or just young and resilient , but don't get all thus weird expensive bike packing bars stuff... I have never got any particular hand pain and I have rigged forks. The bars I use are just normal but super wide like 800 haha , flat aluminum bars , with quite fat lock on grips ... Spot on for me anyway and cheep! And just well ,normal ;)
Every time I look at your setup it astonishes me that you don't finish each ride with no arms, the whole front end of your bike just looks unbelievably stiff.
It did have "comfy" steel forks originally but was rubbish round corners so stiffened it all up I quite like that precusion , and seem to cope with tgr rough ride OK
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

My tuppence worth, I've had Jones loops on my Ogre for a while now; I had flat bars with Ergon grips (the ones with built in bar ends) previously.
I've cut down the Jones bars from 710 to around 660 - too many trees round here, knuckles are a bit exposed. I have the Ergon grips without bar ends. I spent a lot of time riding with Allen keys in my pocket and changed the angles of the bars and grips many times before I was happy. The result was very different to my first guess. The bars are angled down towards the rear, but not by much - 4 or 5 degrees tops. The grips angled much higher than I thought, but to properly support the heel of my palm. Very nice now.
Obviously I get more hand positions but I can also move my back about more (this is one of things I like about drops).
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike