Ultralight Tent Suggestions

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

journeyman

Re: Ultralight Tent Suggestions

Post by journeyman »

I hear the uk supplier of SMD lunar solo had 10 arrive today for them all to be sold immediately, quote: "they flew off the shelf"...No doubt proving their ultra-light characteristic. I missed mine, now have to wait a further 4 weeks :roll:
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Anyone with experience of nordisk telemark 1p tent? Its a two skin tent under 900g. Set up in shop it looks good.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Question for anyone with one of those Hexamid things...

...the fly screen door, how exactly does it work? In the pictures it appears that it goes under the bathtub, and across the front of the tent, but doesn't fully enclose you. Which basically means any flies / mosquitos etc could just get at you from the back. Am I missing something there?
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

With the Solplex, the bathtub, bug mesh and outer skin is all one piece. 2 x YKK zip rainbow format. The original Hexamid looks like it's the same but the bug mesh goes under the tub (tub is optional in the Hexamid). I'm partial to the Solplex for two reasons...(1) I have one; and (2) it's all integrated and I don't need to think about clipping in a tub or destroying the bug mesh on the ground. The tub is surprisingly tough.

Greetz

S.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I quite like the look of the Altaplex. Not sure if that works the same way.

Edit - To be clear, the bug mesh on the Solplex is fully enclosed? As in, not open on any side unless you unzip / unclip it or whatever?
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Yup...once you're in and zipped up, the biters won't get to you. The Altaplex is the same as the Solplex just for taller people. For reference, a full length regular Neoair Xlite mat fits in the Solplex tub with room around it...not a huge amount, but enough to put a few bits 'n bobs inside with you

Re: the bug mesh...the front/back of the bathtub, the bug mesh runs vertically from the tub up to the skin. On the head/tail ends, it extends horizontally from the top of the tub to the skin. The idea being condensation will roll down away from the edge of the tub and drip onto the ground outside.

Greetz

S.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I think mostly what I liked about the Altaplex is that it pitches with only one pole, vs the two for the Solplex. Not a massive amount of difference I know, but it should arguably make it easier.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Technically, you can pitch the Solplex with one and run a line from the rear point to pull it out a bit. I did that for quite a while, but it's much better with front and rear poles. If you go with Zpacks, be aware their carbon poles, whilst lighter, are a touch on the bendy side when compared with a Bearbones carbon pole (I'm running Zpacks pole at the front and Bearbones at the back).

Greetz

S.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Interesting, cheers.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

2 big things put me off the Z packs stuff

1 - price
2 - price

It's expensive huh?

I'm also not a huge fan of the way cuben looks, which I know isn't Zpacks' fault. I appreciate it's worth it for the weight though
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I think you'll pay premium for anything that's made-to-order. That said (and yes, I'm horribly biased), their stuff is pretty decent. Any time I throw my tent into someone elses hands for a "weight test" I always get a good reaction. Had a few people offer to steal it from me too :)

Greetz

S.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The price of cuben's risen recently. They are expensive but once you look at the cost of raw material, you can begin to see where much of the cost comes from.
May the bridges you burn light your way