Ultralight Tent Suggestions

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Ultralight Tent Suggestions

Post by Richard G »

I've realised that sleeping under my bicycle 3.5 really isn't working out for me in anything other than perfect weather. I find myself faced with a choice of having reasonable head room, but no length, or having no headroom, and being able to get the thing hunkered down fully for weather protection (and I don't enjoy the experience of trying to wriggle into the shelter in the rain). I appreciate I could find a bigger tarp from somewhere (bicycle 7 is probably big enough, but heavy), but on reflection I think I'd rather dump the tarp and the bivi and go with a tent that has a bathtub bottom. I'm thinking losing the bivi will help me sleep too (still not managed more than a couple of hours in an entire night), as I'll have more scope for moving around / can use a quilt.

Ideally I want to keep it sub 900g all in (including poles), but I can live with heavier if it means it's properly robust. Headroom is pretty important to me, I'd definitely like to be able to sit up fully under it, but I'm not massively tall at five foot ten inches, so I'm guessing that wont be a problem for most. I've looked around a bit without a great deal of luck so far, but I've found this one, which seems pretty good: http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid.shtml

Anyone have any other suggestions for tents that fit the bill?
ianpv

Re: Ultralight Tent Suggestions

Post by ianpv »

Trekker tent stealth is what I use. 800 gms with alloy poles and heavy pegs. Big enough for me at 5'10", big enough porch for your gear. Bit tricky getting in with a central pole but overall I like it, and not too expensive.
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

second hand ultralite 100 by vango if you can find one. has a few compromises. but excellent little tents.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you want something with a true sewn in groundsheet, decent ventilation, that's quick / easy to pitch and doesn't weigh much, I'd look towards a SMD Lunar Solo or as ianpv says, a Trekkertent Stealth.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Funnily enough, I've literally just been looking at the Lunar Solo.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

It's a shame that I can't fit properly in any of these tents! Always thought the Lunar Solo looks like a good tent (and I know it's one of the better options for tall folks)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Funnily enough, I've literally just been looking at the Lunar Solo.
Ooh, if you do buy one, don't buy an SMD pole for it ... they're very much on the flexy side of stiff.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I've got a set of your poles. Would I need something different?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got a set of your poles. Would I need something different?
The Lunar uses a single pole that's longer than either of your 'tarp' poles. However, I'd be happy to turn your 2 poles into a single new one for a Lunar ... and obviously, even happier to make you a lovely new carbon pole for it :wink:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Ha, I shall bear that in mind.
Gari

Post by Gari »

^^ like what you did there :grin:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Subtle, no? :cool:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

@Richard - you passed a Hexamid Solplex the other night...that blue tent by the gate on the rocky climb...that's my Solplex. I was dry all night. ~500g with poles and pegs in the bag.

Greetz

S.
Gari

Post by Gari »

I have a hexamid, great shelter though I wish It had a slightly longer beak occasionally. I have been looking at the Locus shelters over the past few weeks, I was thinking about getting a Khufu as I would like a shelter that I can completely close esp in winter. Can't decide whether to get a cuben or Tyvek one.
http://locusgear.com/items/khufu-tyvek/?lang=en
http://locusgear.com/items/khufu-ctf3/?lang=en
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Now I've finally sussed out how to pitch my Lunar Solo I can't wait to try it in the field/wood/valley/hilltop etc

http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... f=7&t=6209

It compresses down (on the right) to only slightly more volume my borah bivi bag and my silwing tarp, plus it uses uses the same pole

I can't be bothered to get the scales out, but using the finger holding weight test it's only feels a fraction heavier then the 2 seperates, so unless it's guaranteed dry ground, no rain in the forecast and/or no midges it's going to be my go to option from now onwards.
slarge

Post by slarge »

The Terra Nova laser lite is a cracking little twin skin tent. Around 950g or 850g in race trim.
And you could use just the outer at around 500g.
eBay could be your friend, as they are 10-12 years old for the older ones....
Karl

Post by Karl »

Another recommendation for the trekkertent stealth. Love mine. Ultra light and versatile.
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Does anyone know where you can get a SMD Lunar Solo in the UK/EU currently? Everywhere seems to be OOS
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Scattamah wrote:@Richard - you passed a Hexamid Solplex the other night...that blue tent by the gate on the rocky climb...that's my Solplex. I was dry all night. ~500g with poles and pegs in the bag.
Funnily enough, it was that which got me thinking. Well, that and the next to no sleep on that night. :lol:
Nikk

Post by Nikk »

Tarptent Moment DW is great https://www.tarptent.com/momentdw.html I like, moved from a Scarp which is a bit heavier and larger. The Moment DW is plenty big enough for me (6 feet) and a good place to be in the cold damp wet tired.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Does anyone know where you can get a SMD Lunar Solo in the UK/EU currently? Everywhere seems to be OOS
I think it's out of stock everywhere but I don't think it'll be long before they're replenished.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Note to self, when hosting a guest during the B150, I should remember to bring pegs and guy ropes as well as a tarp and Stu's carbon poles.
sillybigfella

Post by sillybigfella »

I have a Gram-Counter Gear Litehouse Solo I'm not using and may part with. It's a gnat's fart under 900g.
I’ve been abart a bit
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

dlovett wrote:Note to self, when hosting a guest during the B150, I should remember to bring pegs and guy ropes as well as a tarp and Stu's carbon poles.
..and lights, and clothes, and food, and properly secured cleats, and some way of repairing tubeless tyres.

Should I go on? :lol:
sillybigfella wrote:I have a Gram-Counter Gear Litehouse Solo I'm not using and may part with. It's a gnat's fart under 900g.
Cheers for the offer, I'm very much leaning towards one of those ZPacks tents though.
Drliamski

Post by Drliamski »

sillybigfella wrote:I have a Gram-Counter Gear Litehouse Solo I'm not using and may part with. It's a gnat's fart under 900g.
i would probably be interested mate, have you got any photos?