Lock

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Re: Lock

Post by benp1 »

Does anyone ever worry that their bike might get ridden off by a random from a bothy?

(I'm a cynical city dweller unfortunately)
VeganGraham

Post by VeganGraham »

if you're worried about someone nicking your bike during the night ... you've pitched up in the wrong place.
It would be nice if this was true, but bothies get vandalised and mountain rescue team vehicles get stolen from far more remote locations than where I go on my microadventures in Shropshire.
I didn't know personal alarms came with a hand grenade type pin, I thought they just had a push button.
One of those should be easy to set up with the device pegged down and the cord wrapped around the bike.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

benp1 wrote:Does anyone ever worry that their bike might get ridden off by a random from a bothy?

Yup, I wasn't comfortable leaving mine outside when I stayed in one. I do have a Knog Milkman, but in reality it's not more than 60 seconds worth of protection.
deft punk

Post by deft punk »

benp1 wrote:Does anyone ever worry that their bike might get ridden off by a random from a bothy?
Most folk in the hills are honest & theft is rare, but it isn't unheard of. Taking off a wheel and/or using a light lock should deter most opportunists though.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It would be nice if this was true, but bothies get vandalised and mountain rescue team vehicles get stolen from far more remote locations than where I go on my microadventures in Shropshire.
That's because there's no one there to stop the idiots. I very much doubt anyone would start to rip the doors of a bothie if someone else was there or a landrover would get stolen if someone were sat inside it.

The locations of bothies are easy to find and they act as a focal point and a landrover is likely to be parked by the side of a road or track ... very different from us pitched up in a random 10 square metres of forest somewhere.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

deft punk wrote:
Most folk in the hills are honest & theft is rare, but it isn't unheard of. Taking off a wheel and/or using a light lock should deter most opportunists though.
Another (very fiddly) option if you use quick links is to split the chain though I wouldn't like to put it back on a cold morning :oops:

In general, as Stu says, if you pitch up somewhere random in the middle of nowhere then it's extremely unlikely that anyone knows you are there let alone make the effort to get there and nick your bike.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
VeganGraham

Post by VeganGraham »

I know what you mean, it's a lot easier to hide a bike and bivi than a Land Rover, it's just that even in normal life, I've occasionally had other people say to me in the morning "Did you hear that thunderstorm/banging gate/barking dog/police sirens last night?", "Er...no."
If I'm tired, once I'm well fed and tucked up warm, I could easily sleep through someone walking off with my bike. It may be a very small chance, but I'd feel pretty stupid waking up to find my bike gone, knowing I'd done absolutely nothing to prevent it.
I reckon one of those pull pin alarms for under a fiver has got to be worth it.

Go on, you know you want one...

Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Another one for consideration, which a few days ago I gave nasty amazon £10 for: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosvision-Ultra ... =bike+lock. "Bike, ski, and pushchair" it says, so if you're a parent who likes biking and skiing it's 3-in-1 :-). "Ultra" secure is stretching things a bit though. My scales say 88g. Maybe coat your bike in anti-climbing paint as a deterrent?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Ian

Post by Ian »

No more so than being murdered in my sleep by some axe wielding maniac.

Enjoy your next bothy trip :-bd
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Oooh, cool!

Just tie it to the ground and one of you wheels right? I reckon that has to be more lightweight than a lock...
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Ian wrote:

No more so than being murdered in my sleep by some axe wielding maniac.

Enjoy your next bothy trip :-bd
As long as they don't take my bike! :lol:
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

Been looking at some other options...

But possibly with a longer chain? :)
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Yorlin wrote:Been looking at some other options...

But possibly with a longer chain? :)

Knowing my luck, id roll over in my sleep and pull my bike ontop of me using that

I either camp up trails and use their lockups (afan has been very helpful with this). Or my bike is part of my shelter in some way

For day rides or stocking up at a shop I have a cheap cable lock, very light but bulky, probably wont survive bolt croppers but its mostly to stop someone just riding off and I'm never long.
Its unlikely they'll go to the hassle in the middle of public (I hope) and a nothing can stop a determined thief, but you can make it less appealing to the opportunist

Or I'm usually with my partner and we take in turns shopping to watch the bikes, makes things easy