Peak District ITT. developing one

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ianfitz

Re: Peak District ITT. developing one

Post by ianfitz »

The route which Dave is going to host as a GPX is a draft version. It has a few things to be aware of:

The section after gamersly (near glossop) isn't very well shown on the file, its easy to follow either the pbw or kinder loop which both pass through there. Just need to decide which!

There's a short section at the south of the loop which I've not ridden yet, I'm hoping its a welsh style bridleway that's full 'o tussocks and has no clear path on the ground. This remains to be determined! It's the section around gratton moor if anyone local can advise on that ?

Also the current version plans to use the curbar-frogatt BW and a new BW through burbage valley. Neither are officially open yet but both sections are easily bypassed to keep street legal until then.

The curbar section can be bypassed to the east using the newly open BW across Big moor and burbage valley can be missed out by staying on the A625 to hathersage and taking the first right after surprise view.

The route essentially has three loops of varying size meeting up at Edale valley. This allows various sections to be ridden the 'best' way. Of course I accept that this is subjective - even if you are wrong! :-) I would suggest starting in Edale and if you look closely you'll see that it starts on the railway bridge in shaw wood farm. This is private land farmed by Andrew Chritchlow he's always been kind enough to let us use his land for parking for fell races and I would like to arrange a group start from there at some point in the future.

It goes without saying that until then we should start somewhere publicly accessible. Under the railway bridge in the village??
slowupslowdown-under

Post by slowupslowdown-under »

Sweet! :mrgreen:
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

Ian

Sounds like you've put a huge amount of time and thought into this. Just from what I have read on here it sounds like its going to be ace.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I'm local to the Gratton Moor bit. From Smerrill Grange up (S) is good. Long Dale is a bit rough in places but ok and easy to follow. Gratton Dale is easy to follow but fairly hard going for a short way - when wet very muddy with cattle hoof holes. When dry rough as the mud hardens!
I wouldn't mind having a look at the whole route as well please.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Ian,

Would like a copy of file as well when available. Thanks.
FLV

Post by FLV »

This link should work.

*edit - link removed, see further down*

All Ian Fitz's hard work.
Last edited by FLV on Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Great. Opened in Memory Map just fine. Rode a bit of it last week.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I've made a few tweaks to the gpx and will send it on to Dave.

There's murmurs of a low key group start on the saturday of what would have been the gravel outing...
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

There's murmurs of a low key group start on the saturday of what would have been the gravel outing...
Is the plan for an overnight stop?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

That's for individual riders to decide. Would be a start at 10am(?) and finish when you finish.

Usual ITT 'rules' apply see below from selfsupporteduk.net

Generic Rule-set
For a ride to satisfy the self-supported philosophy, it must comply with the rule-set listed below, and for the development of new routes a rule-set must be based around these key elements. Any other details related to the route or specific rules are up to the vision of the route director, normally the first person to step up and time-trial the route.

Complete the entire route, under your own power - no drafting
Be completely self-supported throughout the ride - absolutely no support crews, absolutely no gear sharing
Only use commercial services that are available to all challengers - no private resupply, no private lodging
If you have to leave the route, you must re-join it at the exactly same spot
No caches of any kind
No pre-arranged support, which means before you begin your ride - e.g. booking a B&B, arranging to meet a vehicle
No travel by any motorized means during your ride - by all means do so if necessary, but understand if you do your attempt is over
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

That's for individual riders to decide. Would be a start at 10am(?) and finish when you finish.

Usual ITT 'rules' apply
OK, up for that then.
flat_4

Post by flat_4 »

Quite tempted by this! Don't know the area at all so hard to judge timings etc as have to be back at work down South on Monday. Is it likely to be similar riding time to BB200 do you think?
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Quite tempted by this! Don't know the area at all so hard to judge timings etc as have to be back at work down South on Monday. Is it likely to be similar riding time to BB200 do you think?
Not done the BB200 but the bits I know of this route, (70% of it) there is little hike a bike. Should be doable over two days for most bike packing folk. :)
burty

Post by burty »

I am still looking for a ride to fill in on the 5th april. let me know if it is going ahead,
it might be good to just throw ourselves into it and see how it goes
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

i reckon this ones tougher overall, with far more technical riding throughout. I know the last section of last years BB200 was slow going, but even so I expect this to take longer.

If I was riding that BB200 course again I'd certainly stick rigid forks on my bike. there's no way I'd consider riding this with rigids. not saying that its not possible, just much nicer.

also I remember much of the night section being roads or forest tracks whereas a lot of this route is 'proper mountain biking' have a good think about how you will cope with that when tired/sleep deprived...

As it looks like quite a few of us will turn up then i will tweak the GPX, as it takes in routes which will be legal - but aren't yet! We need to keep it legal so I will makes these alterations and make sure people know the current route to use!
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

also I remember much of the night section being roads or forest tracks whereas a lot of this route is 'proper mountain biking' have a good think about how you will cope with that when tired/sleep deprived...
Cave Dale will be a joy at the end of a long day. :shock:
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Ooh having just been prompted to think about this (thanks ian!) . . . I have to say that I am actually interested, or I think I am - it may just be that my brain is suffering delusions as im so tired from a manic week

But im at a loose end on that weekend now so I will have to find something to do with it
flat_4

Post by flat_4 »

ianfitz wrote: If I was riding that BB200 course again I'd certainly stick rigid forks on my bike. there's no way I'd consider riding this with rigids. not saying that its not possible, just much nicer.
Hmmm, not got much of an option there...! Is it pretty rocky / big steps etc? Never ridden around there at all...

Unless you can really put me off I've pretty much decided I'll have a crack at it! :-bd Just need to check if there are any spaces at the campsite for Friday night.

Just going through the GPX on bikehike - there are some areas where the trace has straightlined so I'm not sure where to go. Is the plan to refine the GPX beforehand? I'm happy to help with plotting what I can, although obviously that may hinder ore than it helps as I don't know the route! :mrgreen:
FLV

Post by FLV »

flat_4 wrote:
Hmmm, not got much of an option there...! Is it pretty rocky / big steps etc? Never ridden around there at all...

Unless you can really put me off I've pretty much decided I'll have a crack at it! :-bd Just need to check if there are any spaces at the campsite for Friday night.
If rigid is what you have, just ride rigid.
People do ride rigid in the peak on a regular basis, Including Ianfitz and myself (though I do it with a 3" tyre), but certain sections will be unpleasant. Things like Jacobs ladder (stick in google images to get an idea) will certainly hurt more than with sus forks.
It will be significantly more tiring in my opinion but, those who ride rigid do get used to it so I'm told.

If you've never been before, its worth coming and doing the ride. Ians route takes in some cracking riding and scenery. For that distance in the peak, I also take a small rag and some chain lube too.

flat_4 wrote: Just going through the GPX on bikehike - there are some areas where the trace has straightlined so I'm not sure where to go. Is the plan to refine the GPX beforehand? I'm happy to help with plotting what I can, although obviously that may hinder ore than it helps as I don't know the route! :mrgreen:
Any particular spots? Most of the riding on the ground should be obvious. Its not like wales, most tracks are very well established.

The bit after glossop / gamesley, just follow the sustrans up onto gun road before turning off onto the bridle way over Robin hoods picking rods / combe edge. Its obvious when you're there, theres not really another way to go.

Cant see anything else that would cause an issue.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Either of the official routes through Gamesley are hard to follow especially if you don't know the area. Plus it's not really the sort of place you want to be hanging about.

I'be be inclined to choose this route.

composite

Post by composite »

flat_4 wrote:Just need to check if there are any spaces at the campsite for Friday night.
Which camp site is most convenient for the start point?

It turns out I have some extra days leave I need to use up so thinking of having a go at this mid week during the 2nd/3rd week of April.
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

Two campsites in Edale. One on the east of the road by the NT center (smaller, quieter), or a bigger commercial one just by the pub at the top of the road.

Stayed at both in the past and both are fine.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Hi All,

New Link for the Peak ITT file courtesy of Ianfitz

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Ppc6 ... sp=sharing
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Thanks. :grin:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

FLV wrote:Hi All,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Ppc6 ... sp=sharing

This is the one to use this year. It's fully legal :-)

Once the other tracks are upgraded we can change it back to the other one.