Peak District ITT. developing one

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ianfitz

Peak District ITT. developing one

Post by ianfitz »

There was some discussion about this at the northern chapter winter bivy. I seem to remember Blackhound saying there was one almost ready to go.

I think the peak deserves one. Although 200k staying in the dark peak would be somewhat convoluted and brutal.

What ideas have people got? Is the existing route available as a gpx?
Blackhound

Re: Peak District ITT. developing one

Post by Blackhound »

Hi Ian,

I even have an OS select map of 99.8% of the route! It is largely based on Tim Woodcock's 'The High Peak Trail' and listed at 165 miles. This includes some in/out of places like Buxton for accommodation so probably ~140 miles or 225km. No GPS as yet.

There are a few new bits such as concessionary paths since the book was published in 1995 that could be worth using. Would probably use TPT and Pennine Bridleway when feasible as it is well signed.

The book has the route start in Edale and then broadly:

Chapel Gate, Mount Famine, Furness Vale, Whaley Bridge, Goyt Valley, C&F, Macc Forest, Walker Barn, Langley, Three Shire Heads, Flash, Earl Sterndale, HPT to Friden, Elton, Darley Bridge, Rowsley, Beeley, Beeley MoorEastmoor, Owler Bar, Longshaw, Ringinglow, Redmires,Stanage Edge, Yorkshire Bridge, Ladybower, Cutthroat Bridge, Cut Gate, Langsett Res, Longside/TPT, Hadfield, Charlesworth, Lantern Pike, Birch Vale, Hayfield, Coldwell Clough, Jacobs Ladder, Edale.

Could send you the book if you want to PM your address.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

That would be great thanks. I will do.

Would offer to collect from there and back but I'm off to the lakes that weekend :-)
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

OK Ian, will scribble a few notes on the maps before putting in the post.
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

You could nip up into the South Pennines / Calderdale perhaps? When I lived there, I had an 80km(?) route worked out that I was going to dedicate as a permanent off-road Audax, but never got around to it. Linking the Dark Peak with Calderdale is easier now that the Pennine Bridleway is there.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Hi Blackhound and Ianfitz,

I don't know if you are aware of the bridleway/rights of way developments on the Easternmoor's, Longshaw and the Burbage Valley?
After the logging in Burbage, there should be a new route through the valley down near the brook, a legal development because of the logging.
The two major paths through Longshaw are going to be re-designated including the path from the main gate down to the Toads Mouth / Burbage track.
The main track across Big Moor is/will be a bridleway, the gates are in. If things go the right way, the edges and White Edge routes will get up graded. It will cause some upset but I think it will be worth it long term.

Paul
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Paul - I was unaware of those developments, I don't get that way very often. Would be nice to ride through Longshaw as it was the scene of my first ever orienteering race in January 1974!

Eastmoor to north of Fox House is virtually all road on the route from the book. Certainly worth considering.
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

I can grab the maps off you kevin and pass them on to ian after the spar and back weekend - if thats any help :)
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Sounds like a plan a-w. It is just a book with some notes, unless Ian wants to read it in The Lakes and I will post it.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

That's great AW. you can disregard most of my last text then :-)

I didn't know that about access to burbage, although the forestry work has been put back a year. I'd heard about the plans for the edges and longshaw. In fact longshaw had a bike open day some last year. It's good that tracks like that are being legitimately opened up.

We had a test ride of curbar/frogatt the other week. It's got great views and links up a couple of nice riding areas well. A nice bonus trail. Thinking back to that ride I remember spotting a huge flat area that would accommodate about 50 bivys. Quite exposed though, but perfect for a summer nights mass bivy trip. Maybe we should organise it once the edges are legit!
FLV

Post by FLV »

I remember you mentioning this Ian, it wounds pretty interesting. I'm more than happy to assist in recce's and anything else if you like
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

So can we now ride, or perhaps in the future, ride from nr A621 gr 276641 W to Wellingtons Monument and then North along Baslow and Froggatt Edges? I have ridden to Wellington Monument and down into Baslow but the bit over Froggatt shown as footpaths on my map would be great news. And if we could drop into Longshaw at 259782 all the better.
D Faff Master

Post by D Faff Master »

I've got a 300km route plotted out on GPS for the Dark Peak. I put it together when I was bored and recovering from my knee op back in the spring. I never got to ride it this summer as I simply wasn't fit enough.

However I'm planning on riding it during the Easter holidays as part of my prep for the Highland Trail.

Once I've completed a ride on it I'll make the GPX file public. The starting and finishing point for the loop is going to be from http://www.romanlakes.co.uk/mountain_biking.htm

The100km route on their site is worth doing too. However I prefer doing it the other way round.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Here's an update of the Eastern Edges new routes, http://www.ridesheffield.org.uk/2014/02 ... ompletion/

Paul
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Thanks Paul. That's good to read, I wasn't sure on the timescale of it opening but April is not too long to wait.

I'm sure it'll be worth including theses sections in a peak circuit.

I have Kevin's book now so will make a gpx of some suggestions soon
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I've done a bit of pondering and started plotting a bit of a route. 205km and 6500m so far (probably enough!) it crosses itself and has some loops but that's to make sure sections get riden in the 'right' direction!

I have a rough gpx does anyone know a map sharing site that I could upload it to for comments?

Ps. It looks utterly brutal...
slowupslowdown-under

Post by slowupslowdown-under »

Looking at it now on bikehike.co.uk
Need new legs
FLV

Post by FLV »

I think you just have to send out the gpx. We can all load it to bike hike then

I'd be interested in seeing it
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

I'd be interested as well, I've got a long weekend to fill as my wife still thinks I've got a gravel race to go to. :-bd
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Pete I think I may have sent you an older version. Will resend it...
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Could I get that off you too please ian :)
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Hi,

I wouldn't mind having a look either. Based Monyash / Flagg area and work in Castleton.

Paul
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I'll make a few tweeks, tidy up the gpx, and up load it to somewhere shared.

I'm not sure when I'll get the chance to ride it, probably don't want to go with 'that' April weekend now as the following one kids are off for a weekend away so I'm hoping to head up north ont sleeper train...
FLV

Post by FLV »

When its ready, You can share it via google drive. Just make it a private file available to open by those you invite by email. Or a public file open to all and sundry.

I can host it if you dont have google mail / drive.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Thanks Dave. Ill send it over.

I have a skydrive through windows 8, but that and the toshiba laptop conspire to be the biggest heap of tech junk ever. Neither work properly, slow, buggy, and W8 just doesn't do what it claims it does. It won't even display the music off my hard drive as a library. Argh it makes me so mad.

Think I better go and get my bike out to calm down ...