Cycling pants to keep the bottom dry

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Cycling pants to keep the bottom dry

Post by redefined_cycles »

As per title. I wonder if anyone can suggest any decent pants that I need for a 24hour ride next month. At the mo I have my Madison dry pants but they are at risk of getting me too warm. Then there is the Endura singletracks which dry pretty quickly as long as it gets warm. Although the Endura are a bit worse for wear and the velcro straps have been knackered for some time now. Then the Fox pants which are shower resistant but again becime saturated pretty quickly!!

Sorry about the mouthful above. I'm thinking something along the lines of thw Montane walking pants as they will dry quickly and have rave reviews but money is an object at the moment. However if I was to fid the right pants that BBs have used in multi trips with a comfy bottom in the rain then i would be willing to consider.

Thanks in advance
ScotRoutes

Re: Cycling pants to keep the bottom dry

Post by ScotRoutes »

If it's not cold then bare legs :grin:

Lycra dries quickly.
redefined_cycles

Lol. Forgot to say. Lycra doesn't really do it for me and about the cold thing. Yesterday s ride was a little eye opener. Went without my under helmet hat for the first time this year. But when it started raining midway and the windchill really got to my head I relaised my mistake. Luckily I had the goretex LoweAlpine with a hiody so I stuck that under the helmet. Hands were fine too cos I had my winter gloves for backup. Only thing that had me thinking was my wet bottom and decided I really need to cover this 'just in case' with summst that really keeps the water out. At the same time i don't wanna overheat and also bare legs would be fine I guess!!

Asking alot I know :roll:
Chew

Post by Chew »

Guards are a must on long rides if it's going to be wet. Think more solving the problem than trying to fix it, as you'll get far more wet from the ground, than above.

If it's just for showers, then just get some cheap waterproof trousers and chop down to size.

Also if you're out for 24 hours, then you're going to get a wide range of temps at this time of year, so think about layers. Over night it could get to 3/4 degrees overnight, but 10/15 during the day.

If you want to test stuff there's a 200k Audax next Sunday starting in Halifax?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Waterproof shorts will keep your arse dry and you have fewer overheating problems, but also mudguards.
ton

Post by ton »

mudhuggers front and rear and chopped down military goretex. winner winner chicken dinner......... :cool:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Just for reference I have a pair of Endura Singletracks and the Montane Terra Pants that you mention. They're quite similar in many ways but the Montanes are a lighter weight fabric and have larger (more effective) vents so would be a better option for warmer conditions. The Montanes do justify the rave reviews they're really excellent. Not waterproof at all but would dry fast. What about the Endura Spray kit which combines a waterproof backside panel with breathable fabric elsewhere? I've wondered about them myself (my lycra is reserved for the road bike), they are a bit spendy though iirc.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ton wrote:mudhuggers front and rear and chopped down military goretex. winner winner chicken dinner......... :cool:
Seconded with a few extra bits of polyprop sheet to fill in the gaps (seat tube and down tube)
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

I have some altura cycling trousers I've hardly worn and some 3/4 endura super light trousers which I've only worn once if you are interested. In a medium though.
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

ton wrote:mudhuggers front and rear and chopped down military goretex. winner winner chicken dinner......... :cool:

This! :-bd
redefined_cycles

Adventurer wrote:I have some altura cycling trousers I've hardly worn and some 3/4 endura super light trousers which I've only worn once if you are interested. In a medium though.
Thanka for this mate. Probably out of my price range at the mo as I could only afford 20 or so on said items...
redefined_cycles

Like an encyclopedia are you guys. Thanks... looks like I may havr to consider cutting down my Marmot waterproofs as the bottom protectors and invest in some water catchers (you know what I mean... the brains not working wuite right at the mo)
redefined_cycles

Chew wrote:Guards are a must on long rides if it's going to be wet. Think more solving the problem than trying to fix it, as you'll get far more wet from the ground, than above.

If it's just for showers, then just get some cheap waterproof trousers and chop down to size.

Also if you're out for 24 hours, then you're going to get a wide range of temps at this time of year, so think about layers. Over night it could get to 3/4 degrees overnight, but 10/15 during the day.

If you want to test stuff there's a 200k Audax next Sunday starting in Halifax?
Thanks again sir Chew. The audax is probably gonna have to be .missed and gear already been tested (or so I thought). Just the torrential downpour caught me off guard but you could say it was a pass for my gear as I got home with warmish and dry fingers and non frozen head/feet/legs. Just caught me off guard as I could have sworn summer had set in. At least i learnt that I can get away with under-hat as the goretex jaclet hood was very effective.... top half a came home dry. Just the inconvenience of the backside wet. I had said to myself that I'll have no crud catchers on the Canyon after the cruds (o whatever they called) broke on the Condor within one winter (£22 down the drain although to be fair they were a tight fit on the retro Condor racer looking thing!)... lots of :grin: :-bd :grin: for everyone...