Guy Martins round Britain

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rufus748

Guy Martins round Britain

Post by rufus748 »

Guys off around the coast of Britain attempting to beat the 1984 record.
He's looking to cover the 4,802 miles in 20 days, just 240 miles a day....
Hats off to him.
JohnClimber

Re: Guy Martins round Britain

Post by JohnClimber »

Set off this weekend, should be well up the east Side of Scotland by now

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ium=Social
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

It doesn't appear he's posting his route of has a spot with him. Shame, it would be good to follow his progress as he'll be passing my door.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

This isn't the fastest time of year to set a record. :-S
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Which make it all the more impressive I guess!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If he's been riding this afternoon/evening then he's had a stonking tailwind to assist him.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Think he's been up the east Aberdeenshire coast today. Pity about the lack of coverage to follow him and see the route but I can understand why.

Good luck to him anyway 250mile a day is massive at anytime never mind in the dark days of December.
Si

Post by Si »

What constitutes an around the coast ride, do you have to stay within a set distance of the coast?
Can you use bridges and ferry's?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

He's attempting to beat a 1984 record so I imagine he'd be trying to stick to the same route (whatever that was).

That would rule out the likes of the Dornoch Bridge (1991)
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

When I heard about it yesterday at first I thought it was a challenge for next year, not a current December outing in cold and minimal daylight. Tough bloke.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I would have thought that it would be the public roads nearest the coast excluding dead ends. Not sure how new/replacement bridges are dealt with. Also what happens if the legal status of a road or bridge changes with respect to cycles?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Have been messing about with routes to do this for some time......it's a bloody long way, 2300+ miles. had hoped to do a little "dark" race round the coast one day.
250 miles a day is monumental, but made a little easier with someone supporting you, cutting out all the food and sleep finding time. Guessing as it's Guy he will have a van full of food and just sleep in the back each night. If he's going to claim a record he's going to need some form of proof.
would be good to see the route eventually.
The old git in the yellow socks
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

numplumz wrote:Have been messing about with routes to do this for some time......it's a bloody long way, 2300+ miles. had hoped to do a little "dark" race round the coast one day.
250 miles a day is monumental, but made a little easier with someone supporting you, cutting out all the food and sleep finding time. Guessing as it's Guy he will have a van full of food and just sleep in the back each night. If he's going to claim a record he's going to need some form of proof.
would be good to see the route eventually.
4802 miles to be precise... :oops:
D Faff Master

Post by D Faff Master »

Hope he's learnt how to navigate after his Tour Divide debacle...
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Hope he's learnt how to navigate after his Tour Divide debacle...
I dont think Guys TD ride was a debacle - I think he rode it in his own unique way - but was subject to a lot of attention because of who he is despite trying to be as low key as possible. Best explanation, that describes it better than I can is from Bikepacking.net http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/ultra- ... /#msg84757

Good luck to him on the Round Britain - thats big ride this time of year :-bd Hopefully he wont get lost - keep the greeny/grey stuff to the right :lol:
Last edited by wriggles on Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
D Faff Master

Post by D Faff Master »

Skirts the issue generally in his new book. As writing retrospectively I'd have been interested to know what happened at Spray Lakes Reservoir as that set the tone for the rest of the ride.

Finishes by comparing his ride to.
I had cycled 2,745 miles, and probably a bit more, in 18 days and 6 hours, quicker than the time that established the Tour Divide record, set by Matthew Lee in 2008, of 19 days and 12 hours. I averaged 149 miles per day, every day.
:lol:

Suggests he thinks his ride is even comparable! In reality he did a pretty quick ride from Canada to Mexico inspired by the Tour Divide.

Hopefully he'll go back and actually want to start and hopefully finish the Tour Divide Race.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Any sightings of him? I saw on the time trialling forum he was seen in Scarborough first morning on his way north on a mtb hybrid type frame with Road tyres and aero bars.
Mike

Post by Mike »

:-bd I say good on him and fairplay for trying something so epic at this time of yr!
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Totally! :-bd

Programme airs 29th December on channel 4
FlyingFox

Post by FlyingFox »

I envy Guy's enthusiasm and ability to be able to tackle any challenge he sets himself, however I have a feeling he really doesn't like being on camera even if it's a means to an end.

So when he is attempting a challenge especially in the UK he knows there will be a lot of support out on the route. I'm guessing to stay low key ensures that he won't get stopped for photos and channel 4 get to tell the story afterwards, and hence the viewing figures.

Best of luck to him and I look forward to watching the show.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Full support here for Guy,I've watched him at the TT for years,
He puts 110% into everything, navigating the Td with a page out of a book
Is typical,if you read his book it all makes sense, :smile:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Update from Guy

"Well it’s not gone quite to plan.
"I"ve cycled over 11,000 miles this year, including the Tour Divide in America, to and from work most days and I spent three weeks in China in October, back for a few days at work, straight to New Zealand for ten days racing motorbikes, back for a few days at work and then off.
"I badly pulled my achilles tendon on the left side after a day or so but thought I'd just get my head down and work through it. I kept good miles up and got to John O’Groats from Grimsby in 4 days and 8 hours, about 800 miles. But my leg was getting worse and I thought I could keep going and maybe do the whole lot in 30 days but I knew I'd be jiggered for a long time after and maybe even have serious long term damage, which would mean I couldn’t do the serious cycle trip I've got in my head for next year.
So I've put my push bike back in the shed for the rest of the year, giving my leg a chance to recover. I'm back at work and I realise I need to listen to my body more. By just manning up I was papering over the cracks. Thanks very much for the support, loads of folk wishing me well and that was mega.
"It is what it is and like I said ‘Ive got to stop it before it stops me’ and it did stop me."
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

The I'd seen that, shame :sad:

I wonder what the serious cycle trip he has planned for next year is?
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

voodoo_simon wrote: "I"ve cycled over 11,000 miles this year"
I'd expect him to have done more than that, that's only 3.5k miles more than me, and all mine is commuting pretty much. :geek:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Really with his TV and travel schedule? I am impressed with 11k
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer