Lock

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

didnothingfatal

Lock

Post by didnothingfatal »

Any recommendations on a lightweight lock?
Taylor

Re: Lock

Post by Taylor »

pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

Yep I use that exact one. I imagine it'd be easy enough to force it with a good yank, but it's nice & light & hopefully enough of a deterrent to keep the bike safe for quick trips into shops for a resupply etc
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Would anybody be interested if I could get a reasonable discount on a job lot of these?

Here's the blurb
"The Lock Alarm mini combination cable alarm is an innovative, portable devices suitable for securing any large items. When an attempt is made to cut through it's hard steel cable, or the main lock unit is attacked, a loud 100-120 decibel siren starts. The Alarm features a movement sensor that can be set to sound if the lock is disturbed and an adaptor to allow fitting to a notebook/laptop.The alarms cable length is 600mm and the lock body is 85 x 60 x 25mm."

I'm awaiting a call back on weight and possible discount for a bulk buy.

Regular price is £15.99 plus postage.
griffdowg

Post by griffdowg »

yer put me down FF It would also have many many other uses outside of cycling, double bonus :)

G
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

hmm I could be interested in one of those too. I wonder how much it weighs... :D
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Weight is 100g
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

:mrgreen: cheers!
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/retrak-re ... x&istBid=t

£12.00 and free delivery from PC world!!!!

I'd have to buy 50 to get it as low as £12
Matt

Post by Matt »

I've always gone with the Monkey Puzzle lock.

This involves clipping your helmet through the wheels, another bike, tying a jacket arms through another bit of the bike and draping the body of the coat over the helmet etc. Clip rucksack straps through and around stuff.

Basically make it awkward, then keep bike in view.

Steve also added to this 'making it awkward theory' by knacking the gears. Once its parked up either drop all the gears on the thumb shifter or up them so that if somebody does try to ride off they are faced with jumping gears/dropping chain*.

*Don't forget about this if faced with immediate uphill as I did
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I wonder how much a tiny padlock and cable would weigh in comparison to one of those retractable jobs.

I've got a tiny Abus lock I'll weigh tnt out of curiosity, along with 2' of brake cable.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Steve also added to this 'making it awkward theory' by knacking the gears. Once its parked up either drop all the gears on the thumb shifter or up them so that if somebody does try to ride off they are faced with jumping gears/dropping chain*.
Bit tricky with a SS :?

Alternatives:
- Bit of a faff, but you could remove the pedals and put them on the inside of the cranks
- Add fat ziptie somewhere on the drivechain to stop it going around.
- Ziptie the front wheel to the fork crown/ leg. (remembering to remove it before you set off again).
- Slacken your quick releases or your seat QR
- Small padlock through the disc rotor like they do on motorbikes

But as Matt says, keep it in sight if possible.
markenduro

Post by markenduro »

Those pc world ones look like they are for locking a laptop down, laptops usually have a small slot which the lock fits into and the end turns 90¤, I suspect it would not lock back on itself to form a loop. May be worth a trip to pc world to have a look before splashing the cash.
Edit, seems that it does format a loop and I'm talking crap. See here
http://www.retrak.co/Products/tabid/86/ ... fault.aspx
didnothingfatal

I reckon I may go for something a bit more secure, got a 80g sil nylon duffel to stash all the frame bags in, just need something secure but not ridiculous, I reckon something a little more secure

So far Knog Fisticuffs is winning

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=58689
Ian

Post by Ian »

So far Knog Fisticuffs is winning
You mean in terms of being the heaviest, right?
didnothingfatal

Need something a bit more than retractable lock, something that will really make someone think twice. Would you trust your bike in a town to thy lock?
MonkeySpacePilot

Post by MonkeySpacePilot »

I don't think locks for leaving a bike in a town centre is the usage being discussed, more something that can be carried and used for nipping into a village spa to restock.

Anyway my solution would be to concert to a fixie, then you could really laugh as the thieving scrote nearly kills himself.
didnothingfatal

The village shop the retractable one will be fine, but I'll probably have to enter proper shops in the alps for resupplying, that's my issue. Will also have the bike with me in Chamonix. So the retractable although great for the village shop, I'm going to have to beef up for towns.
VeganGraham

Post by VeganGraham »

Thread resurrection, I'm surprised this doesn't get discussed more often.
I've been using the old 'upturned bike as a tarp support' method of overnght security. Hopefully if someone takes the bike, the tarp falling on my face would wake me up.
I want to use my hooped bivi though, which would mean leaving the bike alongside me overnight. I can take the skewers out and hide them, but that doesn't stop someone walking away with it in pieces.

Any opinions on this for £30, apart from it being big & heavy?
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lock-alarm-4 ... -prod3960/

Or there's this for £4, although it could probably be snipped through quietly with a multitool while I sleep.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-Feet-Retracta ... B00B215PHE

Is there any sort of motion sensor alarm that could be used in combination with a cheap cable lock? All I can find is PIR ones for insecurity lights or car alarm add ons.
Is there a self contained unit that could be attached to a bike?
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

That big cable lock from SJS looks pretty good

I use a Knog Milkman - needed something small and compact for the odd cafe or shop stop. Have a few other Knog silicon covered cable locks that I could use if I'm really worried

I initially had a pound shop cable lock, works fine, probably lighter than the knog milkman, butess good from a build quality and neatness perspective. Good for emergencies though
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

When I lock up @ the supermarket, I take the front wheel out and lock it to the back wheel/bike rack and take the axle with me. Be an adventurous ride for the thief with no front wheel in place.

Greetz

S.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I know I'm probably fortunate but I do believe that, if you're worried about someone nicking your bike during the night ... you've pitched up in the wrong place.
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

VeganGraham wrote:Thread resurrection, I'm surprised this doesn't get discussed more often.
Or there's this for £4, although it could probably be snipped through quietly with a multitool while I sleep.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-Feet-Retracta ... B00B215PHE

Is there any sort of motion sensor alarm that could be used in combination with a cheap cable lock? All I can find is PIR ones for insecurity lights or car alarm add ons.
Is there a self contained unit that could be attached to a bike?
Gabes and I got the cheapo ones for the Cambrian 500. One of three broke straight away, but the others were fine so try before you take it out with you. I'm sure they are pretty feeble but enough for a pasty and milkshake grab from the Spar. I also have a Knog Party Frank which is a silicone covered cable lock. A bit more secure, not too heavy and the silicone stops your bike getting battered and the lock rattling against stuff in your frame bag.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

I carried a Krptonite cable and an old combination padlock that I had lying around when I went touring.

Stuart is right though.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I know I'm probably fortunate but I do believe that, if you're worried about someone nicking your bike during the night ... you've pitched up in the wrong place.
+2

But if you search 'personal alarm' on fleabay & amazon there's plenty of choice for one with either a pin-pull, that you could attach to something with some fishing line, or there's even some motion sensor type ones that you could leave inside bike luggage..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!