Tarps

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

tonyb

Tarps

Post by tonyb »

I need the easiest ,lightest option ,I'm not into knots so so any tips for a complete set up will be appreciated ,
I love my rab bivvy bag but in aware that sometimes I might need a tarp ?
jBay

Re: Tarps

Post by jBay »

Line locks are your friends
jBay

Post by jBay »

scott of the woods

Post by scott of the woods »

Alp kit bicycle 3.5 is a good lightweight option, good price to
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Light, easy, cheap: pick two :oops:

I'm assuming that this is mainly for single person use. Something like this http://www.trekkertent.com/home/home/9- ... -tarp.html will give you the lightest tarp but at a cost for a 125g 2.5x1.5m tarp of £140. Cheaper but heavier would be a silnylon tarp like the Alpkit Rig3.5 https://www.alpkit.com/products/bicycle-3-5 weighing 300g at £45. Alternatively you could make your own from Tyvek or similar (you might find some for sale not far from here :roll: ) roughly 220g for a 2.5x1.4m costing about a tenner. This latter should be good enough for occasional use in sheltered locations.

None of the above weights include lines. You'd have to tie the lines to the tarp somehow but you'd only need to tie those knots once. The Tyvek tarp would be trickiest as you'd also need to add attachment points if you wanted lines somewhere other than the corners (you can use a knot called a sheet bend to attach directly to the corners).

I'd go for the Rig3.5 then either attach the lines you need using a bowline and leave them on or use mini karabiners and then a simple overhand loop style knot to attach to to the karabiner and clip the karabiner to the tarp. At the other end of the line use a lineloc so that you can tension.

Stuart's written a few posts on the review section about tarps that are worth checking out.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Is there still that trekker tent cubn tarp o for sale in the classifieds?

That's about as light as it gets
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If budget's not too much of an issue and you really want the lightest possible, then as has been said, go cuben. If not, the Rig3.5 takes some beating.

Tarps aren't difficult to use, it just takes a little practice. However, you do need to remember that you're trying to produce a storm-worthy shelter. Loosly draping a tarp over whatever's available and pegging it down, won't result in said shelter. Tarps require tension and they require tension in multiple directions to make them stable ... as Bob says, plenty of info on the reviews section.

Oh and if you'd like some lines - http://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/s ... at=shelter :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

fwiw i have a bicycle 3.5 , its good BUT i would give careful consideration to a 7 over a 3.5 for versatility unless you want lightness at all costs.

the 3.5 is good for getting your head out the rain but its a pain if you want to cook or anything without getting wet
tonyb

Post by tonyb »

Cheers for info ,yeh reckon I need more experience seeting tarps up more than anything else
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

tonyb wrote:Cheers for info ,yeh reckon I need more experience seeting tarps up more than anything else
It's just another skill really, do it enough times and you start to wonder why you ever thought it was difficult.*

*This does not apply to the occasion when you've convinced your better half that bivvying is a good idea and you are struggling with the tarp in the dark in 30mph winds and horizontal rain and you are getting "that look" :roll:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
tonyb

Post by tonyb »

I've been lucky I've never really need a tarp but as I get out more I know I'm goner need to use one ,I used one this weekend and was pure basic luck that that it stayed up and took me a while to bodge it up.
I better get on YouTube and start learning some tips