Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Teetosugars

Very Small compression Sacs..

Post by Teetosugars »

For Bivi bags?

Anybody make them?
Is there any point in them?

Just trying to pack all my gear as well as possible..
atk

Re: Very Small compression Sacs..

Post by atk »

Never bothered with one. Pack bivvy and sleeping bag together for quick unrolling. Roll back up for the next day. If things get wet, sleeping bag goes in dry bag, bivvy rolls up and gets stuffed in seatpack or wherever there's space.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Compression / stuff sacks, often make packing more difficult and obviously add weight ....... but not much :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My bivvy bag came with one (well - it has one of those roll-over tops). It's way too big to actually compress it :grin:

Exped do a whole range. I use a couple, more for organisation than anything else. Being brightly coloured also makes them easier to locate in the dark or semi-light.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

I stick my Hunka XL in an 8 litre (I think, might be 4) Alpkit drybag just to keep water off anything else if it's wet.

I agree generally with what Stu is saying but when stuff gets damp and has to go into a bag with other stuff then it's a necessary evil in my opinion.

I don't think you'll gain much from a 'strapped' compression sack for a bivy as you can press most of the air out of it whilst rolling it up so it's as small as it's going to get in the sack pretty much.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Never bothered for bivvy bags themselves as they aren't like down clothing which loft and thus need that air to be expelled to be packed as small as possible.

I put my down bag in the bivvy bag then put that in a dry bag for carrying so there's some redundancy in protecting it.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
gentjim

Post by gentjim »

Planet X have some going cheap if you're still after one:
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CCPUSCS/po ... er-compsac
gravitysucks

Post by gravitysucks »

I use small 8 or 10ltr dry bags, its surprising how much smaller you can make a bivvy or tarp etc my compressing the air out of it. Makes everything waterproof and takes the worry out of it. Use slightly larger bags so it makes it easier to compress the air out.
I have 4 for 5 different coloured bags so my stuff it all separate and I can easily grab my sleeping clothes, tarp etc without fuss.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

It's fairly obvious we all have our different systems :roll:

What Stu's getting at is that putting "everything" in to a stuff sack means that each has a defined shape so that when you come to pack the main bag there's (wasted) space between them. Having at least a few items "loose" lets you pack them in to the cavities, it also lets you pad the solid items so they don't bounce around and rub against one another.

I try to keep the dry stuff separate from the damp/wet stuff so sleeping bag and gilet inside bivvy bag which goes in to the main dry bag for the handlebar harness. Dry clothes go in the seat pack; tarp and general hardware goes in the frame bag. If things get wet on a ride then the following morning there's a bit of reorganisation to keep things separate, I'll try to maintain the wet & dry distinction if I can but it's quite possible that a wet jacket for example might get stuffed in to the dry bag along with the bivvy bag so that the dry stuff in the seat pack really does stay dry.

We've got quite a few sizes of dry bags from about 1 litre up to 13 litres so we've plenty of options. I like it if my down kit has at least two impermeable barriers between it and the elements :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Cheers all, as ever.
Things have come on a long way since having to cram everything into my belt kit and Bergen for a living, so just trying to keep up!
Think I'll just stick to having the doss bag and bivi bag in my sweet roll, separate.
Thanks for all the advice, it's all listened to and taken in.
Ta. :-bd