Multi tool

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

brotherhuw

Multi tool

Post by brotherhuw »

Easy question. Which one would you suggest? Light weight but everything you need being the main criteria. And the cheaper the better... My lidl special has finally given up the ghost. Been a good tool though!
Justchris

Re: Multi tool

Post by Justchris »

I have a topeak alien 2. It has every thing you could possibly want tool wise. However the plastic tyre levers snapped without much pressure on them. The finish on the Alan keys has tarnished. It weighs an absolute ton. As it has a heavy duty safety locking mechanism. Some of the allan keys are so short, 1.5cm or so, that you cannot actually use them. It has so many tools that some of them are redundant for my particular bike. Like the 14mm spanner. And one of the small multi spanner is so small that it cannot be used as it has no leverage ability.

I now use a multi tool wich I got free with my daughters bike from chain reaction. With a few bits swapped out form the topeak. Chain breaker, spoke adjuster etc.and have saved a load of excess weight.
Even after adding two plastic coated metal tyre levers, and a small pair of multi tool pliers. To give a more comprehensive tool set.

Cc
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Topeak Mini 20 Pro.

Does everything an alien does and is lighter and more compact.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Lump

Post by Lump »

Agreed with Topeak Mini 20 Pro Multi Tool. I have one on all my bikes and small light and has everything needed for me.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I've got a leyzyne 10 which has a chain tool too
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

oooh i just had a quick google and found this - http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p33171/Topeak ... Aj0E8P8HAQ

love my alien - have looked at lighter ones but loads seem to have very short stubby tools - not sure they'd reach some parts
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Topeak nexus 2
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

loads seem to have very short stubby tools - not sure they'd reach some parts
:shock:
May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I'm fairly convinced they're all much of a muchness - everyone just recommends what they own!

My Crank Brothers M19 (or M17?) is pretty good. The Knog one I have isn't brilliant but it looks great and has nice form factor so stays in my commuting bag for the odd emergency
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Crank brothers 17 for me, had it for years and I'm sure I'll have it for a few more years
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

The alien 3 apparently fixes the failings of the alien 2. Ie levers that snap. Useless spanners. Crappy bendyness when torquing etc

Cc
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Topeak Hexus 2 for me. I've got an Alien 2 but as Chris says it's heavy so I no longer carry it out with me.

It's also very much obsolete for me, in that I don't have any fixings on my bike that require a ring spanner so it's just extra weight. I take a Leatherman with pliers as well, and it has come in useful on many occasions
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I think I've got a different multi-tool for all three bikes :roll: - basically means I can't forget to take one. That for my commuter is a Topeak Hexus which I haven't had to use yet so can't comment on the effectiveness of the tyre levers.

I'm not sure if I've any bolts that are inaccessible to any of the tools though some are quite awkward and clearly placed assuming that you have a long Allen Key for example rather than one with a multi-tool body a centimetre or two away
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I like to use a seperate chain tool, so use a Topeak mini 9 ... had it years, never let me down.

May the bridges you burn light your way
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

AlasdairMc wrote:Topeak Hexus 2 for me. I've got an Alien 2 but as Chris says it's heavy so I no longer carry it out with me.

It's also very much obsolete for me, in that I don't have any fixings on my bike that require a ring spanner so it's just extra weight. I take a Leatherman with pliers as well, and it has come in useful on many occasions
Take it santa will be bringing you the new topeak multi tool with the tig welder included!!!!
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

The problem i have found with many of the ultralight multitools is that the chain tool is made of cheese
I swapped to a simple 2,3,4,5,6 & T25 tool ( Specialized EMT pro road if i recall ) and carry the head from the Topeak super chain tool
I use the stem cap bolt as a handle if i need to use the chain tool.
the whole lot is less than 100g
FLV

Post by FLV »

mtbmarkymark wrote:The problem i have found with many of the ultralight multitools is that the chain tool is made of cheese
Thats why I use the topeak one I linked above. 65g for the chain tool, ditch the allen key and use your mini multi tool.
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Not a multitool per say, but a collection of individual tools that both remain fully functional, compact, and diverse enough to cover more unlikely breakdowns.

The Topeak survival box, great usable chain tool, room for patches and mounts to the bikes frame out the way.
Works great so far and had quite a bit of use, and actually use it for alot of garage repairs and part swaps when i cant be bothered to dig out the real tools.

For shorter rides though, I just take out 2 of the keys (4 Allen sizes as different on each end, a co2 pump and tube and strap it under the seat

Now if you were to ask me about non-cycling multitools....well you should see my collection of Gerber,Leatherman and Victorinox...... :lol:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Hexus 2 here...but I do like my old Survival Box although the updated version with the Phillips head is nice (wifey has one).

That Mini 9 looks pretty sharp too.

Greetz

S.
brotherhuw

Post by brotherhuw »

Thanks all, my wife is now reviewing you recommendations and I shall have a useful xmas present. Ta