Mille Pennines

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

DrMekon

Mille Pennines

Post by DrMekon »

A couple of people on BB200 expressed interest. I note that half the places are now gone, so heads up if you are thinking about it. Given Some food and shelter are included, less than £60 for entry for a 1000km event seems a bargain to me.
EVENT

Distance: 1006 km (provisional)
Ascent: 11750 metres (estimated)
Category: BRM (Brevet de Randonneurs Mondiaux)

THE START

Start: Bispham, Lancashire
Date: Friday 01 July 2016
Time: 10:00 am

OVERVIEW

At 1006 km, with a predicted 11750 metres of climbing, the Mille Pennines 1000 is not the longest or toughest event in the AUK calendar, but it will certainly rank among the most memorable and probably one of the most challenging!

From Coast to Coast, up hill or down Dale, from the shores of Lake Windermere to the shores of Kielder Water, the Mille Pennines 1000 offers long-distance cyclists the chance to ride some of the most spectacular and breathtaking scenery of the Pennine chain all in one weekend!

THE ROUTE

The route is essentially split into 4 stages, ridden over 4 days.

Stage 1 is a 270 km ride from Bispham to Hawes, taking in a circuit of the Lake District.

Stage 2 follows a 355 km circuit of the northern Pennines, as well as an incursion into southern Scotland.

Stage 3 focuses primarily on the north Yorkshire Moors, with its handlebar bending grades; including the famous (or infamous) Rosedale Chimney.

Stage 4 is 115 km, passing through 3-peaks country on its way to the Fylde.

All the above distances are subject to confirmation.

You can enter online or by post.

Entry fee of £55 (£59 when entering online via paypal) includes, but not limited to:

Brevet card with detailed route-sheet

3rd party insurance for UK based riders whilst participating in the event

Pre-event handbook, detailing event information, route guidance and draft route-sheet

Breakfast on the morning of the event (Friday 01 July 2016)

Breakfast on the morning after the event (Monday 04 July 2016)

Basic sleeping facilities (inflatable airbeds), food & drink and showers at the Hawes control (passed through at about 270 km; 615 km & 890 km)

Bag drop from Bispham to Hawes

Validation with AUK and ACP for successful riders

Any photographs taken by the organiser’s during the event

Entry fee doesn't include:

Travel expenses incurred travelling to/from the event start/finish

Hotel bookings for nights before, during or after the event (n.b. if you arrive back at the finish control at Bispham during Sunday night or in the early hours of Monday morning you can sleep there at no extra cost if you don’t feel like driving home)

Any travel expenses incurred due to you having to abandon the event (taxis/trains etc)

Commemorative Event cycling top (optional, but typically £40 - £50). More details in the new year.

Spending money

More details - http://millepenninesaudax.com/

Entry - http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-62/
atk

Re: Mille Pennines

Post by atk »

Umm'd and ahh'd about entering for the last few weeks, had a rather strong beer last night and went for it... now to plan some road rides...
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

I have also pulled the trigger. This, and the marathon discussed down the pub last night, should keep me motivated over the winter. :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For some reason that I can't understand, this sounds really appealing :???:
May the bridges you burn light your way
stucowp

Post by stucowp »

Well I'm sure it'll make great training for something what I'm not exactly sure!

God only knows why I've just entered! Miles and miles of tarmac oh how much fun and the hills think of the hills at 33%.....really any need?