Stop me buying a PHD sleeping bag!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Adventurer

Stop me buying a PHD sleeping bag!

Post by Adventurer »

I'm so close to pressing the buy button on a PHD minim 400 -5 bag, also looked at design your own but came out more expensive but actually a -2 temp rating.

So why a bag. I sleep very cold.

I know all about quilts and I have a cumulus 400 quilt, it's very nice but I can't get fully comfortable with it.
I've tried it on top of the mat ad with it tucked under the top of the bag but I can't seem to stop some cold air coming through the gaps at times. I'm a side sleeper which can raise the rides a little.
The othe thing I hate is a cold head and neck. Most of your body heat is lost through your head. Ive worn hats, merino hats etc but find they are not comfortable when sleeping or just not warm enough. When I try to stick my head in the quilt I'm so much more warmer and comfortable but you can't stay like this with a quilt.

I'm using a exped downmat with the quilt.

I've tried the quilt and I'm just not sold on it.

I've looked at alpkit but a pipedream does not seem warm enough and they use stichthrough on them. All the other bags are too heavy.

So I think it's PHD bag...........
Scattamah

Re: Stop me buying a PHD sleeping bag!

Post by Scattamah »

Well...you could always play import tax roulette and go for Zpacks. -7C, 473 grams, with current exchange rate is around 260UKP.

Greetz

S.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

No! I'll not try to talk anyone out of buying a PhD bag.

I've got a couple. The quality is incredible, both down and construction

It will last for years. There are other good bags on the market too but a bag designed and made in the UK by skilled people is worth paying for (I think!)

My summer bag in particular has had some real abuse and still looks, and works, like new. It's just unbelievablely warm considering the pack size and weight (335g). I'm lucky it was a barely used second hand bargain but I would pay full price tomorrow if I needed to replace it.
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181822026408? ... EBIDX%3AIT
i have one of the 230g one of these , they do a hevyer one too , for £60 including postage from china its awesom, down is good , packs down tiny , ok constructin though verry light, ok down to like 2 degrees, lower than that i just throw a down jacket or primiloft on / over it. bargin though.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've a PHD Minimus 200 and it's a pretty warm bag given its weight/size. I was looking at a bag for 3 season use (there's a thread from a month or so about it - http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... f=7&t=6217), in the end I went for a Cumulus quilt 150 which might seem like a duplication but I intend using both together during the cooler months and during the summer my wife can use the quilt as she already has a 3 season bag.

Note that I haven't had chance to use this combination yet as the nights haven't been cold enough. :grin:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Do it. Everything I own from PhD is pure class.

Small company. Real people. Actual humans.

Support them.
slowupslowdown-under

Post by slowupslowdown-under »

Big love for PhD!

Bought a quilt and a bag

Quilt was superb this summer during a self supported road bikepacking jaunt from the top to the bottom of france and the bad was amazing in Wales a few weeks ago when I got to spend a few days out in the hills.

Amazing workmanship and thoroughly recommended

BUY IT!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Another vote for PHD great company and I love my bag one of the best bits of kit I have
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Yup, I like mine too :-bd
Giacomo

Post by Giacomo »

I've a PHD K series something or other... It's amazingly light at about 400g... I love it.

PHD care a great deal about their products and the people using them. Customer service is fantastic.

Push the button
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Between us we are doing a truly terrible job of stopping him aren't we!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ianfitz wrote:Between us we are doing a truly terrible job of stopping him aren't we!
I'm heading round shortly with a gun and a sign saying "Step away from the button"! :grin:

Just noticed one point in the OP: "Most of your body heat is lost through your head". Not true, if you were completely naked then you'd lose heat fairly evenly from across your body surface. Quite possibly correct if the rest of your body is wrapped up in several hundred grammes of finest goose down and your head isn't.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

ianfitz wrote:Between us we are doing a truly terrible job of stopping him aren't we!
Pm, I'll help out, but this instead, no one will ever snore next to you (thanks to George for the original link!)

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shiny-wetlook-n ... 0408.m2460
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

voodoo_simon wrote:
I'll help out, but this instead, no one will ever snore next to you (thanks to George for the original link!)

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shiny-wetlook-n ... 0408.m2460