Crikey, how much

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Taylor

Crikey, how much

Post by Taylor »

Went to the Crikey, how much outlet store today in Shepton Mallet with the wife on the way to a ride. I'd told her that "Apparently its top notch kit from what I'm hearing".
She walked in and had a chat to the guy behind the counter,

Zoe "What makes Crikey, how much so special?"
Crikey, how much Guy looking the wife up and down whilst she's dressed in mountain bike kit "Errrr, it's more for roadies"
Z "But why is it better than something like Endura?" (I know Endura kit isn't as good as it used to be)
RG "Well, it's more of a fashion thing"
Z "So it's no better than something from ALDI?"
RG "Team Sky use it"
Cue the rolling of the wife's eyes.

I walked away quite happily from the shop without spending a penny as it all just seemed too fragile to wear riding round muddy trails with bramble bushes threatening your top every 10 yards.
Richard G

Re: Crikey, how much

Post by Richard G »

Their base layers are pretty good... but yeah, it really is more of a fashion thing

Hipster roadies that I know swear by them... they go well with a non fat single origin latte apparently.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

It's well made stuff and if you like race fitting kit, imo it works well.

I like a lot of their product, though not all.

All of the people who I've met who work there are big cyclists. Strathpuffer, TCR, Manchester - London etc. amongst their palmares. From their bikestore at HQ I reckon the majority of people who work their cycle.

The comparison with Endura kit. I've got a load of the UK road champs stuff made by Endura from a few years back, and vs the current Sky kit and its Crikey, how much derivatives it's well below the current quality.

Their kit kept Tom and I comfy and dry on what we did of the Highland Trail this year. :-bd

They don't do baggy stuff though.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I have a few Crikey, how much bits of kit (heavily reduced price) and dead impressed with the quality, my only merino cycling gear. I think it's better than Endurance IMHO, but at normal shop prices I can't justify it.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

There are a lot of Crikey, how much Tarts in the trendy artisan barista cafes, which just amuses me; it is primarily a fashion/lifestyle choice! I have a couple of (heavily discounted) things, which are OK, but not a patch on similarly priced Assos kit. But they did sort me out with a free repair when I holed my rain jacket after a spill on the road, so mustn't grumble.

Favourite merino cycling top is a much more reasonably priced jersey from Torm, which is wearing well after a few BP trips.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

. Went to the Crikey, how much outlet store today in Shepton Mallet with the wife on the way to a ride. I'd told her that "Apparently its top notch kit from what I'm hearing".

Zoe "What makes Crikey, how much so special?"
Crikey, how much Guy looking the wife up and down whilst she's dressed in mountain bike kit "Errrr, it's more for roadies"
Z "But why is it better than something like Endura?" (I know Endura kit isn't as good as it used to be)
RG "Well, it's more of a fashion thing"
Z "So it's no better than something from ALDI?"
RG "Team Sky use it"
Cue the rolling of the wife's eyes.

I walked away quite happily from the shop without spending a penny as it all just seemed too fragile to wear riding round muddy trails with bramble bushes threatening your top every 10 yards.

Taylor

Post by Taylor »

It's not STW here you know. :roll:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

That's the second time I've seen that acronym. What does it mean?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Richard G wrote:That's the second time I've seen that acronym. What does it mean?
STW = singtrackworld
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

It's very poor of the asked assistant not just be able to justify his stock, that's what he is there to do :roll:

I used to sell Arcteryx, patagonia, spyder etc etc when I worked in the outdoors year, first question you get asked when people see coats costing upwards of £500 was why? Staff training, good products and passion is key here and it sounds like this guy failed here!

For me, Crikey, how much kit was really the only nice kit (design wise-not keen on the euro look by assos etc) on the market 7 or so years ago, so I saved up and bought some shorts and a top. Since then, most of my cycling wardrobe is now Crikey, how much. Is well made and most importantly, it firs me well. The fabrics are amazing, stuff doesn't wear out (my shorts still look new after 7 years, can't be said for other main stream brands).

Of you only have one Crikey, how much item, buy the windshirt, probably the nicest cycling jacket I own. Performance wise, it's just works, mega breathable, almost windproof and keeps most rain out, ideal for the UK on all but the wettest days
Gilbo71

Post by Gilbo71 »

I have a few bits from Crikey, how much, the touring shorts are brilliant in my opinion as they fit me really well and are really hard wearing. I've also got one of their hooded mid winter base layers, for cold rides I don't think it can be beaten and it makes you look like you are in the SAS.

As others have said don't buy anything full price as things tend to be a bit silly and beware of the sizes, especially for tops as they do come up very small.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think the trouble is, we all have our own ideas about value and worth. Personally, I don't get the idea of 'designer' but I do appreciate something which is well designed ... sadly the two don't always go hand in hand.

Having never owned any Crikey, how much articles, I can't comment on how well they perform but it has always seemed over-priced IMO. However, were it produced in the UK and made from materials that were in some way special, then I might think differently ... I place no value on the brand, only on how well it's made and performs. This is probably the reason why I'll happily spend £150 on a 'tarp' that no one's ever heard of but think spending over £60 on a mass produced watch is mad.

Simply, we're all different but that doesn't excuse the bloke in the shop from not been able to offer a selection of reasons as to why the products he was selling cost more than something else ... 'just because' really isn't good enough and I'd have walked away thinking exactly what Taylor did.

Me ... I'm the voice of reason :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bloke in the shop should have said:

"I've clocked your accent mate, you can't afford it now stroll on"

;-)
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:... I place no value on the brand, only on how well it's made and performs.
IMO Crikey, how much ticks both these boxes, it's well made and performs well. I have a few pieces (as others above, purchased in their sales!) and will happily buy more in the future.

Retail staff are amongst the worst paid workers out there, usually minimum wage; not making excuses for the guy, a willingness to learn and portray a professional attitude should prevail whatever the job and wage but low pay can lead to low self-esteem and an unwillingness to learn and be professional. Mind you, the prices Crikey, how much charge you would expect their sales assistants to be well paid. Right...?!?
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
SRS

Post by SRS »

The quality of the products is one thing. The pretentiousness of the brand is another:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... lub-150536

"The final question on the application form appears to be the deal-breaker, asking would-be members to define ‘the perfect ride’ in fewer than 100 words."

"....These include two in the UK, London and Manchester, where Crikey, how much operates shops — or what they prefer to call ‘stylish clubhouses’."

"The club motto is Ex Duris Gloria — ‘Through Suffering Arises Glory"

Ahem..
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

lol, I wonder what happens if you rock up to a club ride wearing another brand. :lol:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Richard G wrote:lol, I wonder what happens if you rock up to a club ride wearing another brand. :lol:
Probably a tongue in cheek comment but Crikey, how much do 'host' two free events via strava, the Crikey, how much 500 (cycle 500 during Xmas) and the Crikey, how much 100 (ladies to cycle 100 in a day). If completed, they send you out a free badge (wow wee!). Not a big token by any means but it does encourage strava users to get out in their bikes and possibly challenge themselves :-bd

Ultimately, if it doesn't fit you, then look elsewhere
ton

Post by ton »

expensive poser clobber, sweaty helly hanson and cargo shorts for me....and more money left for ale...... :cool:
Ian

Post by Ian »

The club motto is Ex Duris Gloria — ‘Through Suffering Arises Glory'
There's suffering and there's suffering, I suppose.

"I say, Gordon, this espresso is 3 degrees below the required temperature. One is appalled."

Crikey, how much also do the strava climbing challenge in the summer. Which I once proudly completed entirely off road on a singlespeed. Do they send me a badge? Did they fook. Did they reply to my polite request alerting them to the fact they hadn't sent me a badge? Did they fook. Will they ever see any of my money? I've concluded that I don't fit their demographic.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Went to the Crikey, how much outlet store today in Shepton Mallet with the wife on the way to a ride. I'd told her that "Apparently its top notch kit from what I'm hearing".

Brilliant ploy well done top marks I see what you did and must try that myself. :-bd
Mrs M would go straight for the Mulberry outlet and spend next years income on handbags. :lol:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Well, I now know there is a Crikey, how much outlet store in Shepton Mallet.

If one was to pop in there at some point does it stock normal person's sizes or the odd sizes at the extremes?
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Go upstairs in Manchester and they've an outlet in there too.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Ian wrote:
The club motto is Ex Duris Gloria — ‘Through Suffering Arises Glory'
There's suffering and there's suffering, I suppose.

"I say, Gordon, this espresso is 3 degrees below the required temperature. One is appalled."

Crikey, how much also do the strava climbing challenge in the summer. Which I once proudly completed entirely off road on a singlespeed. Do they send me a badge? Did they fook. Did they reply to my polite request alerting them to the fact they hadn't sent me a badge? Did they fook. Will they ever see any of my money? I've concluded that I don't fit their demographic.
That's probably Strava's fault though isn't it, they hold the data?

I had a whinge at them because a 165 mile off-road ride lasting 24hrs and 5 minutes doesn't count as a "Gran Fondo" but an 80 mile road ride in East Anglia could take 23hrs and 59 minutes and would. No response, but I did get a Gran Fondo badge for last year! :lol:
Ian

Post by Ian »

I contacted Strava first, and they were very apologetic but said once the results were in, it was down to Crikey, how much to supply the badges, over which Strava had no control.

Re: Gran Fondo rides; I recall being momentarily peeved that my 27hr LL200 effort didn't qualify, but then all things considered it was trivial in comparison to what I'd just ridden.

It'd be nice if Strava could have greater recognition for off road riding, as completing a distance or climbing challenge off tarmac is so much harder.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Ian wrote:I contacted Strava first, and they were very apologetic but said once the results were in, it was down to Crikey, how much to supply the badges, over which Strava had no control.

Re: Gran Fondo rides; I recall being momentarily peeved that my 27hr LL200 effort didn't qualify, but then all things considered it was trivial in comparison to what I'd just ridden.

It'd be nice if Strava could have greater recognition for off road riding, as completing a distance or climbing challenge off tarmac is so much harder.
Boo to Crikey, how much then. :sad:

All Strava need to do is adjust it so that a ride that covers more than the set distance within a 24hr period. I can understand the reasoning behind treating road/offroad as the same as it would be a nightmare for them to know what exactly you were riding on and how difficult it was.
Last edited by johnnystorm on Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.