Fat bike curious. What would you recommend

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pushbikemike

Fat bike curious. What would you recommend

Post by pushbikemike »

I find myself looking at fat bikes and thinking I'd like that that.

So, if you have one would you recommend it? What one do you have? Whole bike or build your own?

The ice cream truck ops is tempting me.
I don't ride my full susser anymore. So may sell it to part fund this.
VeganGraham

Re: Fat bike curious. What would you recommend

Post by VeganGraham »

Get a 29+ single speed.
That way, not only will you spend most of your time in the wrong gear, you'll also be on the wrong bike.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd recommend trying to borrow one and live with it for a week or so :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

VeganGraham wrote:Get a 29+ single speed.
That way, not only will you spend most of your time in the wrong gear, you'll also be on the wrong bike.
:grin:
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I'd recommend trying to borrow one and live with it for a week or so :wink:
Now that would be sensible. Are you not convinced by fat bikes? I think you posted a review on the review section. I'll go look for that.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

What sort of riding do you aspire to do with the bike?

A bigger tyre (ie 5 inch) isn't necessarily better than a smaller fat tyre (ie 4 inch)
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

voodoo_simon wrote:What sort of riding do you aspire to do with the bike?

A bigger tyre (ie 5 inch) isn't necessarily better than a smaller fat tyre (ie 4 inch)
I would carry on riding usual stuff around tweed valley in Scottish Borders. Natural grassy tufty terrain. Had enough of full suss bike maintenance. The 29 sinks abit in some if the marshy bits. The ice cream truck ops comes with a 3.8 tyre setup. Although the new Marin pine mountain 650b plus looks interesting.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Now that would be sensible. Are you not convinced by fat bikes?
I do like them Mike BUT I'm struggling to buy into the notion that they make a good all-rounder. In certain conditions they excell, in others they're not quite so good.

What Simon says about deciding what you actually want it for makes a lot of sense.
I think you posted a review on the review section. I'll go look for that.
I did, it was written on the basis of looking at a fat bike as a possible 'do it all' bike ... here's part 3

http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.co ... art-3.html
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Cheers for link.
It would be as a second bike. For winter or foul weather adventures. 29er would be kept. Full suss probably sold
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Always thought the ICT was 5 inch, oh well, you learn something everyday :lol:

4 inch or so is great for trail riding, I'd only get 5 inch of you're expecting a lot powdery snow (which is possibly with Scotland)

I'm using a mukluk, which suits my needs perfectly. The odd bit of snow, plenty of forest Singletrack, beach every so often etc
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

voodoo_simon wrote:Always thought the ICT was 5 inch, oh well, you learn something everyday :lol:

4 inch or so is great for trail riding, I'd only get 5 inch of you're expecting a lot powdery snow (which is possibly with Scotland)

I'm using a mukluk, which suits my needs perfectly. The odd bit of snow, plenty of forest Singletrack, beach every so often etc

Normal ICT is a 5", ICT Black OPs is a 4" (as per MBUK fella in Rov).

I'm on my second On One Fatty, bought mainly as a cheap way into fat biking in case I didn't like it. Fatty one went because it was too small and was replaced (eventually) with a large framed one.

I get decent use from mine as A) I'm minutes from a beach and B) a lot of the trails around here are sandy or stuttery so fat tyres work well. I also have a child seat on mine so its better than a normal bike for hauling wee nipper around.
I've recently acquired a Krampus and it is significantly faster and more nimble on normal trails if that matters to you. I haven't taken it down the beach though.

In Rovaniemi on the firm snow I sailed past a bloke on a Moonlander who promptly sailed past me when we hit the soft deeper snow...if that figures in your plans then the ICT OPS would be a good compromise as you can always pop on some 5"ers if required.

If you aren't in the slightest bit bothered by strava and the like and you find a Fatty fun then it could be for you.....if you do a lot of Tarmac then it would be hateful! :lol:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

pushbikemike wrote:I find myself looking at fat bikes and thinking I'd like that that.

So, if you have one would you recommend it? What one do you have? Whole bike or build your own?

The ice cream truck ops is tempting me.
I don't ride my full susser anymore. So may sell it to part fund this.
Building your own one seems like a good idea as full builds don't always look good VFM. And then you start pricing up funny length BBs, crank spindles, axle widths, etc and they start to make sense!
gairym

Post by gairym »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I did, it was written on the basis of looking at a fat bike as a possible 'do it all' bike ...
That's bike-industry propaganda.

As has been mentioned they're absolutely great at what they're absolutely great at!

One advantage of the newer 5" ready (if not equipped) fatties is that they should all take a 29+ wheel for 'normal' riding whereas some of the older 4" ones will take a b+ max (though that's the new fashion sizing and so arguably that's all you need).

I'm currently sourcing a new 5" fatbike frame (just sold my Mukluk which is the perfect fat-intro bike in my opinion) with exactly that in mind.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That's bike-industry propaganda.
It is Gairy but like so much in life, when enough people believe a lie it ultimately becomes the truth ... you only need peruse the internet to find people busily trying to convince themselves that a fat bike makes an ideal, year round trail bike.

I know I come across as anti-fat bike but I'm really not, I suppose I just don't like the way certain aspects of the industry portray them ... and really struggle to believe how many folk actually believe them :wink:
gairym

Post by gairym »

Agreed.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I'm pretty sure my fatbike is a better only bike than some I've had (I'm looking at you 1999 FSR Extreme). :lol:
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Cheers lads. All helpful stuff. Like the idea of being able to put in 29+ wheels.
The surly krampus mentioned above is also tempting. But wondered how that would fair in snow or marshy bog.
Time to sell some unused bike parts, if possible, and try out some new bikes. :grin: if I can raise enough cash.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Ahem :oops: Selling my unbuilt Rooster and various bits, if of interest. Just mentioning it :cool:

http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... f=9&t=6024
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

you only need peruse the internet to find people busily trying to convince themselves that a fat bike makes an ideal, year round trail bike.
I did that for two years with my OO Fatty. Rode it everywhere on everything, but now only using it in the mud/snow - there is already a lot of the former round here (not much of the latter) so its already getting a work out after summer hibernation and will be on bikepacking duties this weekend.

As for an intro to fat biking, you cant go past the Fatty for value, but OO are doing a couple of new models this month. Im rather keen on this, but I dont think my marriage could cope wiht a second fat bike in the garage.

I'm just going outside ...
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:Ahem :oops: Selling my unbuilt Rooster and various bits, if of interest. Just mentioning it :cool:

http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... f=9&t=6024
Cheers cheeky monkey. I think a large frame suits me better.
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

TheBrownDog wrote:
you only need peruse the internet to find people busily trying to convince themselves that a fat bike makes an ideal, year round trail bike.
I did that for two years with my OO Fatty. Rode it everywhere on everything, but now only using it in the mud/snow - there is already a lot of the former round here (not much of the latter) so its already getting a work out after summer hibernation and will be on bikepacking duties this weekend.

As for an intro to fat biking, you cant go past the Fatty for value, but OO are doing a couple of new models this month. Im rather keen on this, but I dont think my marriage could cope wiht a second fat bike in the garage.

Now I like the look of that. Is it on their website?
dunk090

Post by dunk090 »

I bought an OOF a year ago, which was a bit of an impulse buy and my first mountain bike purchase since a Rocky Mountain XC full susser about 10 years ago.

It has re-kindled my enjoyment of cycling, although perhaps that just coincided with the kids getting a bit older and being able to do slightly more adventurous rides. As it's my only off-road bike I just have to use it, so it's been on countless trips round the Pentland Hills (climbs really well) and a few excursions along the East Lothian beaches. Also done the Natural Tweed ride this year (only fatty) and was one of four Fatbikes in the Kielder101. Done several of the red trails at the 7stanes centres this year too.

I'm not the lightest or gentlest of riders so that was part of the attraction of a Fatbike. If you have time I would suggest getting a frame & wheelset and building up the parts as I've changed the original contact points on the fatty. This might also be heresy, but I found myself going too slow down hills with a rigid fork, so put the 100mm travel Bluto's on the front and it's vaguely exciting. I have had people stop and get out of the way at Glentress!

The OOF is a great introduction to fat biking. I'm waiting for a Ti frame now from Brant's new venture, but that's just me making up for 10 years of not upgrading my previous bike :smile: When it arrives I'll just use a lot of the bits from the fatty then upgrade them as they wear out.

If you want to spend a bit more then the new Fatty trails look interesting. Or if you want to be old-but-new school then the new Surly Wednesday would be worth a look too...
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m15b185s898 ... Au0Z8P8HAQ
This is the best value I've seen. Now, where to find £900 :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

This is the best value I've seen. Now, where to find £900
Na, I think the Silverback fat bikes look better value: http://www.silverbacklab.com/bike/mount ... ble-scoop/
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Cant find a price on the website Stu? Though I suspect you're right...