Top tube bags - front and rear

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Top tube bags - front and rear

Post by benp1 »

I have a couple of options at the moment - a Topeak Tribag and an Alpkit Fuel Cell, the biggest one

The Tribag is too small to be of real use for me when bikepacking. The Alpkit Fuel Cell is a bit baggy and tends to flop to the side. I heard Revelate's version is a bit less floppy

I was also thinking of getting a bag that sat against the seat post, like the Revelate Gas Tank

So, any obvious recommendations for front and rear ones?

Anyone found the Alpkit one a bit baggy and changed to something better? (I wonder if it's because mine is too big and given the height of it versus the available space to mount it to all bags are going to be too floppy)

(I currently have mostly Revelate set up, mostly by luck, so I'm happy to go with them again)
Scattamah

Re: Top tube bags - front and rear

Post by Scattamah »

Revelate user here...their fuel tank + Jerry Can is a good combo. With the Jerry Can, you can get chub rub if you pack it wide. YMMV.

I've also been looking at the Apidura options and am keeping an eye on Wildcat to see what comes out of their labs.

Greetz

S.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

I've been experimenting with the Alpkit Fuel pod I just got and I'm amazed at how much difference packing it makes.

I still need to do some more playing around but clearly where you put any heavier items is key and I strangely found it more stable when it was filled to capacity. I assume as it stretched it against the velcro straps keeping them more taught which helped it stay put.

Has anyone ever used different straps with the fuel pod, as I find it hard to get the velcro straps tight?
(saying that tight might not be good? - sorry if that is a thread hijack)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Scattamah wrote:Revelate user here...their fuel tank + Jerry Can is a good combo. .
I'll second that
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Started with the Alpkit large and even with a bungee added to create tension between the rear of the bag and the seat post, it was still super-floppy and fairly useless. Topeak next, was OK but the zip puller came off on the first outing. Finally spent the money on a Revelate and whilst much pricier, it is a far better quality item that just works.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Fairly clear recommendation for the Revelate stuff then!

Thanks for your thoughts
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

VeganGraham

Post by VeganGraham »

I put self adhesive velcro tape on the frame and base of the bag. It doesn't stop it flopping over when empty, but it stops the whole thing rotating on the top tube.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

I use a large Alpkit one,careful packing required but that could be said
Of any, I supplement the Velcro straps with a couple of re-useable zip ties,
They tighten the whole affair up and are there in case of emergency for
Other tasks :-bd that said, I have a Relevate ( Salsa)frame bag and it
Is very good quality....
HUX

Post by HUX »

+1 for the revelate combo here
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

I've got the larger Alpkit bag and had the same issue with it slipping side to side. I got some sticky backed velcro from maplin and stuck a couple of small strips under the top tube. The alpkit straps then stick to these and lock the bag in place much better.