MYOG stoves questions?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

MYOG stoves questions?

Post by Ray Young »

How do you make a meths stove that will burn longer with less heat? I want a cooker to simmer on rather than boil rapidly.
Does the size of the chamber in which the meths vapourises make a difference, i'm thinking big chamber=less pressure=smaller flame. Is this right? Also, what effect does altering the size and number of holes make?
So far I have made 3 pop can stoves but I was less than happy with them because of their build quality (the first one went straight into the recycle bin!) and 2 penny stoves which I am much happier with (far less fiddly to make). One has a burn time of 12 minutes and I will be making a simmer ring for it to see how that works.
Last question, all the stoves i have made burn with a yellow flame at the top, is this the norm or can you get them to burn more efficiently? :geek:
Bearbonesnorm

Re: MYOG stoves questions?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Can of worms this one Ray ;)

There are so many things that will have an effect on performance. You're right about size, I do find smaller stoves tend to burn hotter but other things will have an effect too ... material, wall thickness, jet size, jet location, jet number, internal wick (or not).

If I were looking for a meths stove that's suited to simmering / slow cooking, then I'd be tempted to buy one rather than make one. A Trangia style burner will more often than not be pretty steady even without a simmer ring. I reviewed a Tatonka stainless stove a few weeks ago - http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.com/ It would fit your requirements down to the ground. If you're still wanting to make one, consider trying the following:

1/ Large fuel capacity, the extra fuel tends to slow the burn rate as it keeps the stove cooler.
2/ Smaller jets and less of them.
3/ Fit the stove with an internal wick / damper ... the wick from an oil lamp will work.
4/ Make it double walled rather than a 'penny' type ... you'll have a greater control of internal pressure OR build a centre burner and devise a way to control / limit the air entering the stove through the outside wall.

And yes, you'll know when you've cracked it because the flame will be pretty much blue all the way to the tip ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Thanks Stu, I read your blog but I really do want to make my own. I've seen an aluminium drinks bottle that has a long neck compared to other bottles so was thinking of using that to make one similar to the one you made. I think it would double the fuel capacity to that of a normal shape bottle.

PS. Any chance these things might explode if made wrong?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Any chance these things might explode if made wrong?
I've been trying for years with no success ;)
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

s8tannorm wrote:
Any chance these things might explode if made wrong?
I've been trying for years with no success ;)
It will happen, just when you least expect it. :o
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

Can easily teach you a method to blow up a gas stove if you want?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It will happen, just when you least expect it.
All I'm going to say is ... are you some kind of fortune teller Ray? ;)
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

All i'm going to say is...sods law ;) .
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's the first one I've ever had go bang ... it was great, quite exciting :D
didnothingfatal

s8tannorm wrote:It's the first one I've ever had go bang ... it was great, quite exciting :D
The copper pipe?
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Well, sods law also states that, on this occasion you would not be suitabley protected in the politically correct health and safety type attire, which you do of course wear, as a matter of course, on every other occasion when you are playing around in your shed with things that your mother probably told you were or could be, potentialy dangerous. :roll:

Please tell me more and I hope your OK.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The copper pipe?
No, the copper pipe is still looking like a winner ;)

I've been testing a Backpacking Light pocket stove. It's designed to run with wood or act as a stand for a meths stove. I'd been experimenting with different meths stoves to see what would work best. To cut a long story short, I decided that it wanted something with central jets so quickly knocked up a very small 'penny' stove. Things were looking quite promising, so I thought ... I know, lets pre-heat the stove itself and see how much the extra heat will increase the internal pressure (I was hoping to lenghten the flame). Oh yes it works ... a bit too well :shock:

Good job I had my HSE approved shorts and T shirt on or it could have been nasty ;)
didnothingfatal

Sounds like you're ready to preheat gas canisters, recommend something a little more than shorts & tee :?
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Well if the fair weather bikers who drive around Edinburgh in the summer are anything to go by then shorts and a tee will be fine, but only if worn with designer trainers. ;)
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Have recently used a Trangia burner in the largest Ghillie kettle. Worked but seemed slow compared to good wood. Would a "bespoke" stove work better do you think? And if it would, does anyone fancy explaining it to an eejit or knocking me one up for beer tokens?

And before you ask, I have scavenged natural fuel succesfully in the drier months and lugged in dry fuel before. During winter / wetter months on dig days this seems the easier option. Maybe my fire feng shui's a bit poor but ten blokes breathing down your neck for a brew is off putting ;)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Cheeky Monkey ... What are the dimensions of your kettle?

Inside Diameter of base? I assume it's wider at the top than the bottom?
Internal Height of Base?
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

It's one of these:

http://www.freewebstore.org/GhillieKett ... 14223.aspx

That's the best I can do at the mo' as it's in my garage and I'm in Gibraltar :roll: If you need proper dim's I'll sort it out when I get back.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Leave it with me CM ... I'll knock you something up, it'll be much faster than a Trangia ;)
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Cheers fella. I will happily make a donation in beer tokens for time / materials / postage / etc and give you plaudits via the SingletrAction site 8-)

if it works ;)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Here you go CM ... not the prettiest thing I've ever made but it serves its purpose well enough. It brought a smaller kettle than yours to a rolling boil in about 5 minutes. Let me know where you want it sending.

Erm ... Frankenstove perhaps?

i know it's blurred ... it was bloody hot up there!
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Oh you little star. Finally back in Blighty, will PM you details. Ta.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just going back to your origional request Ray ... here's an idea for 'slowing down' your stove a little and getting a better simmer. A give you a 99p stainless sink strainer ;)

Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Thanks Stu but i've taken your original advice and bought a ready made brass stove "trangia" style. Will need to fashion a pot stand and windshield.

PS is a 750ml alpkit mytimug of sufficient size to cook in? When I say cook I mean rehydrate dry meals etc..
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

PS is a 750ml alpkit mytimug of sufficient size to cook in? When I say cook I mean rehydrate dry meals etc..
I'd say so Ray, it's possible to get by with a 450ml mug if it's only ready meals and a brew.

These don't look like a bad windshield / stand
http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/esbi ... 9316-p.asp
gairym

Post by gairym »

s8tannorm wrote:These don't look like a bad windshield / stand
http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/esbi ... 9316-p.asp
Damn you Stuart!

I followed your link to take a look at that wind-shield and was soon sucked into looking at knife blanks.

Every few months I lapse and begin again to research my perfect knife blade in order to make THE perfect knife.

It's been a while since I've obsessed over this but now that can of worms is well and truly re-opened - thanks!

;)