Highlands help please.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

HUX

Highlands help please.

Post by HUX »

As usual I've left my trip planning to the last minute and am now having a headache looking at maps. The touring tyres are on the bikepacking bicycle and I'm hopefully heading up to Oban on Tuesday morning. That's as far as I've got!!
Can anyone recommend any nice long scenic landrover/fire road type tracks that are going to be rideable and enable me to get off the tarmac for a while. Is Glen finnnan rideable?? I have 8/9 days to play with. Any gpx's would be extremely welcome. Thanks in advance.
ericrobo

Re: Highlands help please.

Post by ericrobo »

Many years ago I went Oban to Aberdeen, by taking the single track road west from Oban via Glen Lonan coming out at Taynuilt, then across the swingy bridge over the River Awe to Inverawe House, then follow the good tracks east side of Loch Etive, then head east up Glen Kinglass, not bad riding, culminating in a bit of hard single track, a bit of bog, then coming out at Forest Lodge.

From there you could take the West Highland Way.

I went north of Loch Tulla to meet the A82, south on it for half a mile then east to Achallader, then eventually to Gorton (it's a bothy I think). All good up to there then 3 miles of horror fighting groughs and tussocks, heaving the bike, to reach Rannoch Forest. Good forest tracks from there...
ianfitz

Re: Highlands help please.

Post by ianfitz »

theres also the oban to fort william sustrans route. much of it on traffic free trails. (it only goes as far as ballachulish/glencoe so far. theres a few miles on the coast road but most of it is away from cars.

theres a cracking bothy at Cadderlie which is about 12 miles up loch etive from connel, the last part is gravelly track but should (?) be ok on touring tyres I'd guess.

the route is fairly flat and has some really incredible views out to sea.