Hello

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

robbie

Hello

Post by robbie »

Just newly registered and wanted to say Hi :-bd
Currently riding an on one scandal and genesis IO and looking to get in to doing a bit of bike packing.
Looking for some recomendations on a sleeping bag, bivi and mat to get started £200 budget?
Cheers guys
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Hello

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's hard to see beyond Alpkit for a bivvy bag and maybe the other items too.

Hunka £35
Airo 120 £30
Mountain Ghost (synthetic) £90 or PipeDream 250 £130

Although, some shopping about on the mat and sleeping bag may pay dividends, for example

Salewa Phantom reduced from £270 to £119
http://www.rockrun.com/deals/sleeping-b ... -phantom-1

Regular Neoair Venture reduced from £60 to £49.99
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/therm-a-res ... at-p292551
May the bridges you burn light your way
Soarlikeaturkey
Location: Abducted by aliens (returning to London after the probe)

Post by Soarlikeaturkey »

Hello mate, I'm new too. I've been buying bits for the last twelve months as I saved for the new bike.

Alp kit is great for budget gear as s8tannorm mentioned before. I own a Hunka xl bivi bag too. Cheap as chips and more than adequate with a mozzie net for your head if it's gonna be boggy. I can't fault any of s8tannorm's suggestions but these are the alternatives that I came up with when I was stockpiling...

Keep eyes peeled on Amazon for the klymit goodies. Their sleeping mats are incredible. I bought a top end one recently and then saw the short version for thirty quid. I didn't buy it and the following week it's back up to an even hundred. They're worth looking for online to see if you can get one cheap! The bulkier static v can be obtained for about fifty quid. The Klymit Inertia ones look strange but are incredibly well designed, light and strong. The cut out ones can be hand pumped to a very high psi and fit in a bottle cage. I have the Inertia XL Recon.

If you were successful with a sale item Klymit and Hunka bivi, you'd be good for cash for a Mountain Hardwear Lamina 35 bag which is a very good compressible hollo fibre bag down to 2 degrees for 85 quid. I've got a warmer one and am very impressed. They're scrunchable like a down bag and only a little heavier! You stuff them and don't roll them.

If you were successful, you'd actually be under the 200 mark with some rather Gucci kit!

Also check out Wiggle as end of last summer I picked up an vaguely exciting light weight summer bag for thirty quid in the sale. The beauty being that liners and a fleece jacket can always bump up the warmth if the temp drops!

Hope this helps also!
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Hello :-bd
Trying to ride bikes.
robbie

Post by robbie »

Cheers for the tips guys :-bd plenty to keep me occupied looking for deals!