Salsa Cowchipper??

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

stevenshand

Salsa Cowchipper??

Post by stevenshand »

I know there's a few on this forum that ride drop bars. I'm wondering if what kind of thoughts people are having on the new new Cowchipper bar from Salsa? As the name suggests, it sits somewhere between the Cowbell and the Woodchipper.

More info here : http://salsacycles.com/components/categ ... cowchipper

and

here : http://www.shandcycles.com/2015/06/05/s ... to-the-uk/

fatbikephil

Re: Salsa Cowchipper??

Post by fatbikephil »

I might give them a whirl - currently running cowbells on my fargo as I didn't like the way the drops pointed down on the woodchippers and the bar end shifters stuck out. The cowbells are pretty much a normal drop bar with slightly wider drops so these should give a bit more leverage.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

If they had been called the cowtipper I'd have bought some, just because.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I've a set awaiting shipping to me for testing at the moment. Looking forward to them - already own Woodchippers and Cowbells.
Singlecrack

Post by Singlecrack »

Are they not an expensive On-one midge bar ?

Seriously what is the difference. ?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Singlecrack wrote:Are they not an expensive On-one midge bar ?

Seriously what is the difference. ?
Good question, what is the difference?? - I think the midge has a sharper bend round to the drops and a shorter length of bar on the drops (if you get my meaning). Be interested to see them both side by side. Also the midges are £25 for the 31.8 clamp which ain't too far away from the cheaper version of salsas bars.....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I always thought the Midge was spoilt by the short 'hooks' ... I haven't got big hands and they still feel very short. If the Cowtippers* have the same length hooks as the cowbell but with more flare, I reckon they could be a real winner.

*thanks Nigel
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ian

Post by Ian »

I had Cowbells on the Kite, then Woodchippers. Didn't really get on with the Woodchippers for the angle of the drops.
In any case, I've got a pair of Luxy's to go on the Stoater. They seem to address the short hook problem of the Midges, but the drop isn't too deep, which is good.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

s8tannorm wrote:I always thought the Midge was spoilt by the short 'hooks' ... I haven't got big hands and they still feel very short. If the Cowtippers* have the same length hooks as the cowbell but with more flare, I reckon they could be a real winner.

*thanks Nigel
Pleased to be of service. :-bd
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

I've now spent a chunk of time riding on the Cowchippers - both on the Fargo, and now on the Escapade.

I really, really like them. They get rid of the things I dislike about the Woodchippers:
  • The narrow together feeling of the hoods (which also effects usable storage).
    The depth of the drop and lack of real balance point on the drops (I tend to not death grip on descents, so lack of hook was not nice on WC).
    Finally the distance that the hoods are from the straight section (annoyingly far on the WC).
The amount of flare is nicer than the Cowbells when you're riding down quite steep ground, and you still get a lot of hand placement options as per normal on a drop bar. The Cowchippers are a bit nicer to descend on the hoods - unlike the Woodchippers where this feels horrible due to the narrowness and turned in nature of the hoods - my opinion anyway.

So far, I can't fault them. Weight is whatever - not something I'm too worried about with them.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Have you ridden the Ginetic Digest bars?

http://www.geneticbikes.com/products-de ... d=HBGED44K
polarcherry

Post by polarcherry »

What are they like on the hoods for normal riding. I have Cowbells now but used to have Midges wanted to love them and thought the angle on the hoods would be really natural and comfy but never got on with them.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:Have you ridden the Ginetic Digest bars?
I have not - though I am aware they exist. Shape is not something that fits with where I want my hoods to sit for riding on the tops.
polarcherry wrote:What are they like on the hoods for normal riding.
No bother at all, for me, but they will have hoods turned in a tad more than on a Cowbell. Will post an image later.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ImageCowchippers by Greg.May, on Flickr
Scud

Post by Scud »

Anyone seen the new Alpkit bike components including these?

https://www.alpkit.com/products/love-mud-bomber

A lot more reasonably priced. I've just bought a second Fargo and the price of trying Salsa bars at £75 a pop puts me off and not found any 2nd hand on ebay.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you're on a budget, the Genetic digest are worth looking at .... for all I know they might even be the same bar as the Alpkit one but I've not seen the two side by side.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Scud

Post by Scud »

What are the Ginetic/ Woodchippers like riding on the hoods. I do a fair chunk of my 200 mile a week on Fargo as roads are so bad where i live so it has standard road bars at present, and would still spend a lot of time on hoods?

Worried that i may find being in drops better, but lose comfort on hoods. sorry to hijack thread!
Gari

Post by Gari »

I love my woodchippers, ride on the hoods almost exclusively, occasionally on the tops. Off road and on.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Scud wrote:What are the Ginetic/ Woodchippers like riding on the hoods. I do a fair chunk of my 200 mile a week on Fargo as roads are so bad where i live so it has standard road bars at present, and would still spend a lot of time on hoods?

Worried that i may find being in drops better, but lose comfort on hoods. sorry to hijack thread!
I ride on the hoods on my digest bars a fair bit.
Scud

Post by Scud »

thanks gents.
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

For those interested something with a little more subtle flare we have our own flared drop bar available now.

Attached some crappy pics but can supply better pics for anyone else interested.

WIDTH 400 / 420 / 440 / 460 mm
DROP 130 mm
REACH 86 mm
FLARE 8°
WEIGHT 294 g (420w)
polarcherry

Post by polarcherry »

Look great Steven - how much are they going to be?
PeteG

Post by PeteG »

Could be interested in those myself. Nice looking flare with a conventional looking top/hood area.
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

polarcherry wrote:Look great Steven - how much are they going to be?
This bar is much more like the cowbell than the cowchipper. I really wanted a bar that had flare but where the majority of the flare was happening below the levers. This way the riding on the hoods position wasn't compromised too much and you don't need to have your levers at a funky angle.

We've been fitting them to the production Stoaters for a wee while now and feedback has been very positive so far. Although the primary aim was to have an OEM bar, to get them cheap enough we had to buy about 14 years worth of bars so we should have some to sell as an aftermarket product!

Not 100% sure on price but trying to keep them low as possible. I suspect somewhere around £30-£35.

I think that there's now so many of this type of bar around that they really need to be affordable in order to make it as easy as possible to try out. I'll work out a price and post it and more details tomorrow.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Steven, I'll take a set of the shand flared bars once you've got them available. :-bd