GPS basics

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

macinblack

GPS basics

Post by macinblack »

Well, I've finally got round to acquiring a GPS device (etrex 30.) I've never had a GPS before and so despite hitting Youtube tutorials aplenty, I'm still unsure.

I normally use Viewranger on my phone but now I'm travelling longer distances, I've bitten the bullet and gone GPS.

First hurdle - I've transferred a VR GPX route direct to the Garmin. The route is saved on an OS map - On the device the route shows on the base map only and then only up to 250 waypoints.

Does the device also need the OS mapping installed? (Is it just the route that's copied over or the map it is saved onto too?)

Why stop at 250 waypoints ( basically halfway along a 100 mile route?)

I await enlightenment!

Cheers Mac.
Zippy

Re: GPS basics

Post by Zippy »

off the top of my head, I think it's to do with the specifics of waypoints vs trackpoints.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I use bike hike and send it to the GPS as a track.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you want to see the route overlayed on an OS map, you'll need to install an sd card with the mapping on.

As Dan said ... ideally the route wants to be in the form of a 'gpx track' not a 'gpx route' that way it avoids the 250 limit. Bikehike.co.uk is a good place to load any gpx route (or make your own) and convert / save as a gpx track, then simply download it straight onto your gps.
May the bridges you burn light your way
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Thanks folks,

I'll do that and get onto iOffer.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I've been using an eTrex 30 for years as my cycling GPS so if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I swapped over to an Edge 1000 last week and so far I'm hating it. :(

BTW, the maps over at talkytoaster are a reasonable free alternative to OS maps (OSM). Not as detailed, but if you're using them for cycling, anything that isn't on there you don't really want to be trying to cycle anyway. ;)

http://talkytoaster.co.uk/maps/

Oh, and the full OS Maps are REALLY slow on the eTrex 30. It's not really got the juice for it.
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Okay thanks, I'll try talkytoaster. I've got a lot of OS already on Viewranger - I'll just have a sneaky peak on there every now and then to satisfy that particular fix.

I take it if you plan your track and load it onto the GPS you can then follow it along and record progress for the dreaded Strava purposes?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

eTrex is pretty good in that it's always recording, no start / stop unless you choose to clear / save the track. Far better than forgetting to start the ride then realising you'd not recorded an entire session. :(

As for the route, you can just show it on the map and follow it passively.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Oh, and another option to get the maps is detailed here:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/down ... 00810.html
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Nice, thanks for the advice. :-bd