Thermartex bedding blanket

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jpw247

Thermartex bedding blanket

Post by jpw247 »

I know when we're on top of the sleep bag we compress the down and reduce the air it traps and thus its abiltity to insulate. Therefore I am particularly interested in using this either under the roll matt or the sleep bag itself to reflect and possibly radiate some heat back. Has anyone used this in anger yet and if so is it any good?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Thermartex bedding blanket

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've been testing one for most of the last year. It's a very difficult thing to test and draw any conclusions beyond ... I think it works or I don't think it works.

Hopefully I'll have a full review sorted out by the end of the year but it's designed to reduce heat lost through radiation not through conduction, which is what's happening between you and the ground. What you really need is something that actually insulates - bubble wrap perhaps?
May the bridges you burn light your way
jpw247

Post by jpw247 »

As always I appreciate the input. I agree this will be difficult one to quantify given the variables involved. The cost is relatively inexpensive but space in my kit list is at a premium. Given the size of the product itself and your experiences with it, would it therefore be joining you this winter?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It will be joining me when things get proper cold. There's no doubt that it works but it works best under a specific set of circumstances ... the more insulation you already have beneath the blanket the more efficient it is. So, for us that really means using it to optimise our present (and adequate) insulation rather than trying to 'stretch out' a bags usable range, ie if you think you'll be too cold without the blanket then chances are you will be with it. Hopefully, I can explain better in the review :wink:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Hey stu, given your methods filming etc the stoves can you not set up a controlled experiment with this? all you need is a digital thermometer that log temperature over time and you are away...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Hey stu, given your methods filming etc the stoves can you not set up a controlled experiment with this? all you need is a digital thermometer that log temperature over time and you are away...
Don't you worry, I've had thermometers, timers, hotwater bottles and everything else you can think of involved :wink:
jpw247

Post by jpw247 »

[quote="s8tannorm"]It will be joining me when things get proper cold.

I think that statement says it all really. I can't wait to read the reviews though. I can just imagine the experiments you must get up to in your workshop. Just out of curiousity how are you doing on your new stove. Do you think a batch will be ready for xmas pressies?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

s8tannorm wrote:
Don't you worry, I've had thermometers, timers, hotwater bottles and everything else you can think of involved :wink:

hot water bottle with integrated recording thermometer. a variety of configurations of blanket with and with out sleeping bag in controlled conditions = science! job done...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Do you think a batch will be ready for xmas pressies?
You must have missed the post about the first batch been ready and available ... although they haven't been added to the shop (yet).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ian

Post by Ian »

I spent an entire day conducting the same test and every time the results were the same, regardless of whether the blanket was in place or not
Einstein's definition of insanity, that is. Repeating the same experiment and expecting a different result :ugeek:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

So.. for the increase in weight - warmer sleeping bag or take this instead?

I'm guessing the former, but the latter is cheaper!

Maybe good as an emergency blanket inside a bothy bag or similar?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Einstein's definition of insanity, that is. Repeating the same experiment and expecting a different result
I wouldn't argue with Einstein but obviously an experiment needs to be conducted a number of times before the results have any real meaning. :wink:
Maybe good as an emergency blanket inside a bothy bag or similar?
Yes it would.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I use the 2014 version of this (small size) which has a reflective layer integrated into the mattress. personally I don't think it adds a huge amount of warmth as the level of heat lost through radiation is far lower than through conduction, but every little helps for the small increase in weight.

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... -mat-p3612
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I use the 2014 version of this (small size) which has a reflective layer integrated into the mattress. personally I don't think it adds a huge amount of warmth as the level of heat lost through radiation is far lower than through conduction, but every little helps for the small increase in weight.
Exactly, like I said in the review, the blanket (or any other reflective affair) will do very little if it's underneath you.