Full Zip or No Zip?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chew

Full Zip or No Zip?

Post by Chew »

I've been on the lookout for a winter bag for a while, and now the PHD sale is on.

The question is to go for a full zip or not?

A full zip will probably give me more temperature options, but with the added weight it defeats the object of getting a PHD bag.

Anyone using one of these bags not miss having a zip?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Full Zip or No Zip?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Will they not do you a half zip? I find it more than enough for venting and makes getting in and out much easier than no zip.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Chew

Post by Chew »

mmm...i though half a zip would be the worst of both.

Its very rare my current bag is unzipped, but if it is its usually just an inch at the bottom for a bit of venting.

How long is the half zip?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How long is the half zip?
On my Force 10 bag it goes down to just above waist height.
May the bridges you burn light your way
psling

Post by psling »

Apparantly these are going to be available in UK in the new year: https://www.sierradesigns.com/product/b ... 0-3-season.
No idea how effective they may be but it's always good to see new ideas being developed; looks interesting to me.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I had a no zip bag, and couldn't get on with it.

I now have a 1/2 zip bag which is a reasonable compromise.
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

I guess it comes down to personal preference, I have 2 zip less bags and for me, the weight saving more than offsets the lack of ventilation. If you have a lighter weight bag already, does this lessen the need for a zip as you won't be using the bag over such a wide range of temperatures?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

For me, the zip is less to do with ventilation and more to do with access, comfort and flexibility.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

No zip.

Get a quilt.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I have one with about 1/3rd zip, the other one I then decided that no zip will do fine as plenty of access with the PhD cut. Happy with both, but should really sell one of them as they're both the same comfort rating!
Chew

Post by Chew »

Taylor wrote:No zip.

Get a quilt.
Yes i keep hovering over a quilt. An Enlightened one looks to be the same price once you add in shipping and duty :???:
FLV

Post by FLV »

Chew.

You are welcome to borrow for a short time or just have a half hour in the living room my PhD minim no zip, or my uk hammocks quilt to try out.

I could drop off Friday for either, but would need to collect the quilt Sunday as I want to use it midweek next week. No such rush on the bag

I also have a PhD diamir 500 if you wanted a go with that, though it is 10 years old.

I've used the minim a lot, being a broader chap, it's quite restrictive when in there with a jacket on, but I think you would have a little more room than me.

Drop me a text if you want any, I'd need to know Thursday (or earlier if you wanted to come down to glossop)
Mart

Post by Mart »

For me it depends on how warm the bag is and the conditions you want to use it. I have a super warm Mountain equipment, which I use when in Scottish Winters
You can use ut when less warm, but then thats where the zip comes in handy. For thay reason I go full zip, to get maximum flexibility out the bag in defferent conditions

The answer may depend on what other sleeping bags you have and do they cross over in temperature ranges?
As someone who has 2 bags (Winter and Summer) I could be tempted with a 3 season to go inbetween
2924 miles per Gallon