Solar Storm Run Time?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Solar Storm Run Time?

Post by Ray Young »

I have decided that over the weekend of the BB200 I am going to have another crack at completing my Borders 350 route but over four days instead of three this time. With the shortening days I realise some night riding is inevitable. Roughly how much run time will I get from a fully charged solar storm light set on the lowest setting? I am taking two standard "as supplied" batteries both of which have had very little use.
Last edited by Ray Young on Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slarge

Re: Solar Storm Run Time?

Post by slarge »

If you have the same battery pack I got then 20 minutes on the lowest setting. And just out of the drive on the highest. Utter junk!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

slarge wrote:If you have the same battery pack I got then 20 minutes on the lowest setting. And just out of the drive on the highest. Utter junk!

Sorry to hear that, I have had two hours on full before dying and three hours on low with more to come (no flashing green LED's).
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

All depends how good the laptop was they stripped the cells from. :wink:
slarge

Post by slarge »

I have to cut it some slack - it was £12.95 all in. The light unit is good and the charger didn't explode, but I need another battery!

I guess for you if you have 2 batteries you have up to 6 hours night riding. And just stop when the lights go out?
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I can't give you a definite answer but I've had at least three hours from mine, using it on low for climbs and bumping it up a notch or two for techy bits, without any sign of the battery getting low. Using low only I'd be surprised to get less than four hours from mine, and probably more. But the batteries are famously hit and miss, so who knows ...
Karl

Post by Karl »

I've bought one of these battery packs, it came swiftly and does improve the run time considerably. Couldn't say how long it lasts, but was well in excess of 4 hours on high setting so low setting could be a lot. I'm using 2 packs for the BB200 so can let you know after that if you can wait a week before doing the borders.

Cheap for the money really and had no problems so far.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-15600mAh-8 ... 3cde3ce1cd
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Thanks for the info. I reckon I should get 3 1/2 to 4 hours per battery so hopefully an extra 2 h 20 mins to 2 h 40 mins per day. This should give me about 14 1/2 hours riding time per day.
As I now have a proper GPS I shouldn't be going astray like I did on my last attempt which I must admit was part of the reason leading me to quit.
Talking of GPS, what zoom in scale and alarm distance do people find the best for route navigation? I have an etrex 20.

Thanks for the heads up on the eBay battery KBRPro, may well invest in one.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

what zoom in scale and alarm distance do people find the best for route navigation?
I tend to zoom in and out as required but find that either 800m or 500m is my default setting. I don't use the 'off route alarm'.
May the bridges you burn light your way
scrumfled

Post by scrumfled »

battery packs vary a lot, even within the same batch. best answer is to just burn test it at home while you're doing something else :-bd
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

scrumfled wrote:battery packs vary a lot, even within the same batch. best answer is to just burn test it at home while you're doing something else :-bd
take care doing that so it doesn't overheat. The lights are ahem 'designed' to be run while moving
Karl

Post by Karl »

I didn't know there was a off route alarm. I have a Dakota 20, is it available on this and is it any good? Sorry to hijack
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

KBRPro wrote:I didn't know there was a off route alarm. I have a Dakota 20, is it available on this and is it any good? Sorry to hijack
It's OK but depends on how the gpx was created. If you traced one over OSgetamap or similar then the roads, etc might not be exactly where they are on the map due to scale, it could potentially be buzzing all the time, or if you deliberately change course to divert to the pub/spar/shallower crossing.

If you're following a gpx that was recorded by someone riding the route then you're probably OK.
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

The batteries supplied as standard with the Solarstorm are well known to be rubbish. You may have to fork out for a decent battery. Have a look at 'torchys' batteries on ebay or mtbbatteries. Both these sellers have a good reputation for the quality of their batteries and lights.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fluxient-6600 ... 43d01d3e45

http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/mountain-bike-batteries/

They cost more but I can't find any negative reviews on any of them.