anyone bikepacking on a bouncy bike?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

scrumfled

anyone bikepacking on a bouncy bike?

Post by scrumfled »

....I've moved to the darkside, with a 2nd hand santa cruz superlight.

On the plus side, its great for old bones (spines, actually)....but I was wondering if anyone was using something of that ilk and if so what the experience was like and what you'd had to change....
voodoo_simon

Re: anyone bikepacking on a bouncy bike?

Post by voodoo_simon »

Salsa have just covered this topic
http://salsacycles.com/culture/e_freds_ ... e_any_time

I guess it depends where you're riding, if it's gravel roads etc, then a rigid makes sense but if it's 'big mountains' over a few days, the extra weight penalty of a full suspension bike could make sense.

I've only ever used a rigid or hardtail though, as my old full sus weighed close to 35 lbs. If it was a Giant Anthem or similar, then I'd happily use a full sus

Edit
I've actually done a bothy overnighter on the 35lbs full sus, bit slow and heavy at the start of the day but made the descents nice and easy with a loaded pack. I just let the bike day all the work :-bd
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I did the west highland way on my trek fuel ex. Medium camelback with bike stuff & food in it, bivvy + sleeping bag etc in drybag strapped to rear post.

https://flic.kr/p/dXeaWm
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

I will on my Anthem 29er . Its very nice when you get a little pooped, as you don't have to stand up as much :-bd
Weight wise ,its not much difference maybe lighter than my Mariachi .
scrumfled

Post by scrumfled »

thanks, useful links & piccies.

my bouncer weighs the same as my hardtail (old rockhopper)... but then i figure the weight saving matters more above the saddle ;)
Last edited by scrumfled on Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I bounce around all the time.
But I don't like gravel roads and hate, deeply detest tarmac.

Bring on technical and rough single tracks!

At the moment it's a BMC Speedfox SF29. Loved it on the multi day trips in the UK.
Only thing I should have changed long time ago is the front travel, from 100 to 120 mm, would've improved the geo for my likings
A Trek Fuel EX 29 would be a decent weapon too. The Superlight looks very decent aswell.
My BMC, with mod'ed 1x10 gears weighs in at 11.5 kg with rather healthy tires.

With a flick of two switches the suspension goes hard for those ugly road sections. That's the true dark side.

My only rigid bike is one with 4.8 " tires on 83 mm rims which I only use in snow.

Yet I would fancy a steel frame from Ollie W... but don't tell him...

Edit: http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... 7&start=75 for some piccies how I mostly set my susser up
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I started out on an anthem as it was the bike I had at the time. It worked well :-)
Mandicky

Post by Mandicky »

I'll be using my Anthem 29er for the BB200. I usually take a hardtail as I've got a nice, big framebag for it but I'm not planning on taking much on the BB200. I've test ridden the Anthem with a small drybag up front, a feedbag on the crossbar and a drybag saddlebag. I'm thinking I'll appreciate the extra comfort as the miles mount up :smile: