Bar ends

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Solo

Bar ends

Post by Solo »

When I got my first 29er I ran some bar ends on it for a while. Then fashion / magazine and forum trend got the better of me and I went for wider bars, etc. Although I have a FS 26er for more playful stuff, etc but the 29er was still my go to bike. I then replaced my 29er (now my son has it) with another a few months back - a Solaris - but my riding hasn't really changed ie. where I ride but I kept the wider bar set up and not the flat bar and bar ends despite the fact that for the mile munching I missed them (secretly) so when I was away last week and I walked into what seemed like the Portuguese equivilent (from the outside) of Sports Direct I spotted these:

I didn't buy them the first time I spotted them but later that day watched a guy on a Scott 29er ht with similar stubby bar ends powering along, then I had to go back and grab them.

You might spot the price in Euros so for £24.41 (after exchange rate) I got 2 pairs.

The stock Race Face bars will go back on the Cotic and hopefully the white bar ends will look right. I bought the black ones 'just in case' but if not then I am sure either my father or son will want them. If not, it gives me a chance to see which colour I prefer!

For fashion purposes I reckon my old set up might look better but i have a sneaky feeling which I'll like best when out riding.

Anyone else still out there rocking retro stuff like this!?!
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Bar ends

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The bar ends on my Inbred are old school purple ... although you can't see 'em under the bar tape :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Solo

Post by Solo »

Well I was an early adoptor of bar ends BITD with the Onza quill ones! Then upgraded to the alu L bend version.

Funnily enough (albeit OT) a large supermarket had a display of a new range of 29ers too! Including a display board listing all the pros of big wheels. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a picture of it.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

I run bar ends on my 29" wheeled Fortitude... Riding would feel very limited without them.

Also had some Onzas in the 90's... Christmas present from my wife one year.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bar ends are retro now?
Ian

Post by Ian »

ScotRoutes wrote:Bar ends are retro now?
You read it here first :wink:
Mandicky

Post by Mandicky »

I've just fitted some bar ends...... in the middle of my bars. I guess I should call them something else?! :smile:

http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... =13&t=4293
Solo

Post by Solo »

Mandicky wrote:I've just fitted some bar ends...... in the middle of my bars. I guess I should call them something else?! :smile:

http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... =13&t=4293
Cool idea.
Solo

Post by Solo »

Ian wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote:Bar ends are retro now?
You read it here first :wink:
:lol: retro in the sense of not seen much these days! I counted 1 bike sporting them in the current issue of ST (ironically, given my initial post, on a Scott). I can't imagine you'd see any in the main stream MTB mags now.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Solo wrote: I can't imagine you'd see any in the main stream MTB mags now.
Or for quite some number of years past I would imagine.
Last edited by Ray Young on Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Solo

Post by Solo »

Fitted them last night but haven't got a picture yet.

Sure enough, in cool terms, the bike doesn't look quite as good (at least that was the opinion of my 2 teenagers, wife and to a lesser degree myself).

It is, however, more about the ride. Time and miles will tell on that one.

It may also mean, due to the larger 'feel' different factor, the fs might get used more (or should that be used at all!).
Keiracon

Post by Keiracon »

Retro is sooo fashionable :-bd
VeganGraham

Post by VeganGraham »

I'm old enough to know that practicality and comfort are more important than fashion.
Bar ends & lycra for me.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
jBay

Post by jBay »

29er wide bars and bar ends for me :)
Solo

Post by Solo »

jBay wrote:29er wide bars and bar ends for me :)
What width? I was tempted to try them on my wide bars but they had a slight rise too and thought the originally flats might suit the set up better.
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

Had some on my Inbred for JogLe. Loved them. Tempted to trim a little off my bars (my bars ends stick out further) and keep them on. So comfortable for cursing out to the playground/climbing.
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
Solo

Post by Solo »

First ride with them yesterday (about 15 miles of mainly tow path munching) and I used them lots. I've got one or two aches today but think that is more to do with being off the bike for over a week rather than any set up issue.

I like the bar ends but less convinced on the bars. The look isn't great which nags my shallow side! But more importantly with the hands on the grips I thought the reach felt shorter than I'd like (less width plus more back sweep I think*) and I kept moving my hands right to the edge of the grips/butted up against the bar ends.

What width is reasonable for bars with bar ends would you chaps say?

* for info: my grips are Spesh xc lock on. Old bars were fatbar lite at 740mm and then race face ride flat at 710mm for bar end set up.
Last edited by Solo on Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What width is reasonable for bars with bar ends would you chaps say?
How tall are you? Long arms, short arms? Built like Arnie or Kylie?
Solo

Post by Solo »

Just over 5' 11" with long limbs. I would certainly fall into racing snake catergory!!

The bike is a medium Solaris with 60mm stem btw.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just over 5' 11" with long limbs. I would certainly fall into racing snake catergory!!

The bike is a medium Solaris with 60mm stem btw.
I'm surprised the 710mm bars feel narrow, maybe just a case of not being used to them yet?
Solo

Post by Solo »

I guess what I mean is that with the bar ends fitted they effectively become 675mm which feels narrow after riding 740mm on both the HT and the FS for the past few months.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I guess what I mean is that with the bar ends fitted they effectively become 675mm which feels narrow after riding 740mm on both the HT and the FS for the past few months.
With you now ... yeah, I tend to find adding bar ends feels like the bar width has reduced, which I suppose it has if you consider where your hands are.
Solo

Post by Solo »

I'll give it a few more rides anyway as, like you say, it might just mean getting used to it.