Lakeland 200 - real world experience PLEASE

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BuzzardBoy

Lakeland 200 - real world experience PLEASE

Post by BuzzardBoy »

Due to last minute sign-off I have Monday and Tues next week to try this. Whilst Ive done some bikepacking this will definitely be a step into the unkown. Weather doesnt look good and reading some reports the hike-a-bike involved sounds pretty dire. So on to my question.

As a person who likes the journey but definitely prefers it on the bike, how much hike-a-bike does the route actually entail? These two days are a VERY rare oppurtunity to get a great route in but whilst I'm prepared to cope for the weather I really dont want to be carrying a loaded bike for most of the day.

Any real world experience of the route would be appreciated before I make a final call.
Richpips

Re: Lakeland 200 - real world experience PLEASE

Post by Richpips »

The main pushing bits.

From Wastwater to the foot of Honister took me ~ 3 hours
Up to Boredale Hause ~1 hour
Up High Street ~2 hours
atk

Post by atk »

About a week after Rich's dry run, I set off for a casual pace multi-day attempt. Staverley to the top of Walna Scar road was ride-able despite it absolutely pissing it down, the only pushing was due to lack of fitness/not gearing down the singlespeed...

The next day was dry but there were some boggy bits between Walna Scar and Wastwater, requiring some careful hopping between tussocks after mis-judging lines - probably easily avoidable by a more experienced/skilled rider!

There's then about 7km from the bottom of Kirk Fell, over Blacksail and then over Scarth Gap, which we found unrideable (either up or down in our case). About 4 1/2 hours for us to get over in total, but that did include some lying down and swearing at the top of Blacksail, weighing up options while talking to people at the YHA and then playing with some half-poodle thing half way up Scarth Gap. I can't comment on anything after the top of Honnister, but I'm led to believe that it gets 'easier' until a final big climb near the end although I may be wrong...
d45yth

Post by d45yth »

I think it's been mentioned before, but I think the thing to do is carry most of your gear on your back, rather than the bike, to make the hike-a-bike bearable. Some might disagree with that, but the hike-a-bike round here can be bad enough when not bikepacking, nevermind with a loaded bike.

I know some very good bikers who, like myself, have rode everything in Cumbria, and I can't persuade any of them to do the Lakeland 200!

Edit: I think the thing to do is carry the absolute minimum. It's already a lot colder than what it was just a few weeks ago though, so I don't think that's possible.
- The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -