Trans Pennine Trail - WIld Camping Opportunities

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Zoglug

Trans Pennine Trail - WIld Camping Opportunities

Post by Zoglug »

Afternoon all,

Im currently looking at cycling the length of the trans pennine trial with friends in September but am worried about a potential lack of opportunities to wild camp. A lot of the route appears to be rather urban which in my mind brings risks of my bike disappearing. Has anyone cycled the route and camped along it? Is it possible to do so safely? Should i just grow a pair and stop worrying! :lol:

Any advice would be great :-bd
Richpips

Re: Trans Pennine Trail - WIld Camping Opportunities

Post by Richpips »

How many days are you thinking of?
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I have camped at a couple of places. Next to Hurstwood Res was like a motorway between dog walkers, bloody mtb night-riders and joggers. Nobody said owt though. Also camped by Roych Clough about 3 times.

There are some quiet spots and once it gets late there is nobody about.
Zoglug

Post by Zoglug »

Ive got 4 days penciled in to cycle it, should be possible. Plan is to get the train as close to Hornsea as possible, cycling through to Southport before getting the train home. If im ahead of schedule, i may even cycle home the last day. Appreciate it is not the most exciting of routes and I had thought about other rides such as the Pennine Bridleway or the Trans Cambrian Way, but i dont think my fitness or ability would carry me over those routes.

Cheers Blackhound, that gives me a little hope i should be able to find some spots to sleep out each night. :-bd
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Whoops. I read PBW and not TPT.

I have stopped at a picnic site near Crowden before dropping to Royston Vasey:-) for breakfast. You will be surprised what turns up.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Zoglug wrote:Should i just grow a pair and stop worrying!
Maybe :wink:

It is urban in places so you may have to plan a bit further ahead and make sure you clear these sections before dark, or stop early. The trail will be quite busy in places so you may have to go slightly off route to find somewhere discrete. Yes that is a skill to learn, but the only way you learn is by getting out there :-bd

Are you set on going East to West?

Yes adventures riding back home are great, but if you get the prevailing wind across the plains of East Yorkshire you'll have plenty of miles of headwinds.

Across East Yorkshire and down to Doncaster you shouldnt have any issues (excluding Hull)
Doncaster to Penistone will be a bit patchy
Penistone across to Hadfield you should have plenty of options
The closer to Manchester you get the less options you'll have.

We've all been rumbled at some point early morning by dog walkers, camping a bit too close to civilization. You may get a few "you're a weirdo" looks, but no other issues.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

the section between Stockport and Liverpool will be too busy, the trail is never more than a mile or so from urban areas, and as nice as it looks DO NOT camp around Sale Water Park unless you want to make some new 'friends with benefits' :-0

If you are really pushed around this section then detour off towards the Bridgewater Canal, there are some more secluded areas there that I've bivvied out at, in particular around Dunham Park