Best GPX file reader/app for iphone?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

theredsnapper

Best GPX file reader/app for iphone?

Post by theredsnapper »

Hi Guys,

I'm just looking at some navigation apps etc for the iphone/iOS system and was wondering which, if any, gpx app you might recommend?

Cheers in advance,

Red
ericrobo

Re: Best GPX file reader/app for iphone?

Post by ericrobo »

I tried Anquet maps, including for the iPhone. Nothing but problems, so I ditched it and bought Memory Map which I used to have... cost I think about £60 - the iPhone app is very cheap. Once you buy Memory Map you can load it onto 5 devices - and on the iPhone it is brilliant.
drain

Post by drain »

ViewRanger is very good, IMO. Map tiles seem very good value, and available for outside the UK too, came in handy in Spain earlier this year on the Camino de Santiago. The web platform works well, and the web community is useful.
theredsnapper

Post by theredsnapper »

Thanks guys, I'll have a look over these when I'm home tonight!

;)

Red
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I've got Viewranger on my iPhone. The maps are cheap, the website is great for planning and the app is perfect for checking where you are on an OS map.

I don't have a bar mount for my phone, so haven't given it a fair test as an on-the-move continuous navigational aid. The main reason is that it chews through the phone battery quite quickly though and I doubt I'd get more than two or three hours continuous use on my iPhone 5. I imagine that's true of all similar apps.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I use Viewranger for route planning and general online mapping. I like the way it syncs between devices.
Have only used it for short walks due to phone battery life.
I like it as a secondary GPS. I use my Etrex HCX on the bike and for hiking (got a nifty carabiner holster). Viewranger is great for checking the route if OSM mapping isn't clear or for taking a detailed look at a route in the tent/pub etc.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Ever so mild hijack but.....

I'm looking for some software that could (as a secondary device only to be used if primary GPS device dies) show me my location on some free mapping and also allow me to follow the .gpx track I was using for sufficient time to reach a main road etc...

Would viewranger do this?

I read somewhere that it can store maps for offline navigation but I can't see where/how to do this???

Also, how do I upload a .gpx track to it?
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Gairy, yes it would.
Upload/create a route by gpx on the website and then sync your phone (it will download all new routes and tracks). You'll need to log into the website with your app account details.
To save a map, either buy an OS region or tile and then download it to the phone or create a saved OSM map within the app itself by selecting map tiles "my maps".

I have bought various OS regions at 1:50,000 scale e.g SE England for £5.99. Once purchased, it doesn't cost you to download them again on other devices or view them online. Handy for when maps update and you can download a newer version.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Viewranger for me too on an android phone. Used it for a couple of two day rides now. I use it more like a map rather than a GPS. I only switch it on when I need to check the route . If I am not sure of my position then I will switch on the GPS briefly. Both two day rides used only half the battery, turning aeroplane mode on helps too. The only downside that I have come across is you only seem to be able to share routes with other viewranger user's.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I'm sure you can export a GPX file from Viewranger to share with non-users. Might have to do it from the website, though.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Charliecres wrote:I'm sure you can export a GPX file from Viewranger to share with non-users. Might have to do it from the website, though.
You can from the website but only routes you've created - not ones that you've bought/downloaded from Viewranger.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Dan_K wrote:
Charliecres wrote:I'm sure you can export a GPX file from Viewranger to share with non-users. Might have to do it from the website, though.
You can from the website but only routes you've created - not ones that you've bought/downloaded from Viewranger.
I shall look into that, save me from having to plot routes twice that I want to share.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Yup, just checked. If you select a route on the MyViewranger site it gives you the option to export as GPX.