Anyone else much prefer tarp to tent?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Anyone else much prefer tarp to tent?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've just been sorting through some of my gear and have realised that I've now only got 2 tents and hardly ever use them. I do have a couple of 'tarp-tents' but again, they don't see much use as most of the time I'll opt for the simplest, most basic shelter I can get away with.

I feel much happier under a tarp, it's nothing to do with weight, etc it just feels a much more natural place to sleep ... anyone else?

I understand that midges need to be accounted for here but lets talk 'in general'.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Taylor

Re: Anyone else much prefer tarp to tent?

Post by Taylor »

If theres a distinct lack of midges I much prefer my trailstar but if the buggers are about my Lunar solo wins the day.

I stayed on a campsite with the family 3 weeks or so back and had two dreadful nights sleep as the slightest noise woke me up and being in an enclosed tent that I couldn't see out, roll over, fart and go back to sleep was rather disturbing.
Same with hammocks, I have the tarp high enough to look all around unless its really gash weather.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I stayed on a campsite with the family 3 weeks or so back and had two dreadful nights sleep as the slightest noise woke me up and being in an enclosed tent that I couldn't see out, roll over, fart and go back to sleep was rather disturbing.
Same with hammocks, I have the tarp high enough to look all around unless its really gash weather.
Maybe that's it, a tent seperates you from the outside so it feels a bit 'us and them' where as under a tarp you feel part of it?
jameso

Post by jameso »

I have a really nice, super-light 1 man tent. Still in the bag after 2 years, keep meaning to sell it but also secretly hoping for that 'big tour' opportunity to come up where I'd consider using it.

I do prefer a bivi, with a small tarp if there's time and energy or added shelter is really needed. I find tents make me feel a bit shut-off from the thing I go out for. When I've been somewhere with a lot of midges I just kept riding or slept somewhere more windy. I've not ridden far in Scotland yet though.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

But with something like a Lunar Solo you could leave the front porch open and get the best of both worlds.....
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Since Elan-back I've only used my tent on D of E trips . I too much prefer being able to have a look about.

I'm awaiting the arrival of a Six Moon Design Wild Oasis (Thanks Stu :roll: ) as I like my Bivi bag & tarp but it can be a faff.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Maybe there's also something about the ease and speed you can get a tarp up / down ... hey, you can even do it with your eyes shut* :-bd

*although it does take a little longer
jameso

Post by jameso »

Open-porch tent - best, or worst of both? : ) would only be opened up in conditions where I'd consider a tent as unnecessary anyway. Tents do make a lot of sense in many ways but I do also like the lucky-find barn type of shelter, those great spots you find etc, as well as thinking the odd 'grim' night under a tarp or ropey urban bivi is all part of it, a worthwhile gamble in the less-is-more game?
composite

Post by composite »

s8tannorm wrote:
Maybe that's it, a tent seperates you from the outside so it feels a bit 'us and them' where as under a tarp you feel part of it?
This is exactly why I prefer a tarp. Nothing to do with any sort of ease to put up or weight or pack size etc., it's simply that I still feel connected to the outside under a tarp where as I don't in a tent. May as well be in a bothy and in that case I'd rather go with a bothy (than tent) and have the extra benefits. I like a bothy but you lose that being connected feeling. It was interesting on the WC2C when we stayed in that walkers shelter that with the big open doorway it retained some of the feeling of still being outdoors.
Last edited by composite on Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
composite

Post by composite »

s8tannorm wrote: hey, you can even do it with your eyes shut* :-bd
ton

Post by ton »

I have a really nice, super-light 1 man tent. Still in the bag after 2 years, keep meaning to sell it but also secretly hoping for that 'big tour' opportunity to come up where I'd consider using it.

interested in a tiny tent.
jameso

Post by jameso »

ton wrote:
interested in a tiny tent.
Maybe not this tiny one! : ) Easton Kilo 1-man. It may be 800g but it's compact to say the least.
composite

Post by composite »

Would you be interested in one of these Ton?
http://www.composite-projects.co.uk/201 ... r-x2-tent/
ton

Post by ton »

I would indeed mate.
it looks roomy over where my head would be, which is what I am looking for.
chris n

Post by chris n »

I like the idea of a tarp, but the practicalities of a tent usually win for me: better coverage, more stable and easier to pitch. I love the open feeling of sleeping in a tarp though, and this thread has convinced me to take the tarp instead of the tent on a one-nighter I've got planned this weekend.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Always prefer a tarp as i'm more connected with my surroundings, but for longer trips 3+ days the practicalities of a tent win out.

A few wet days and a bivi/tarp can become a bit grim.

Tarps arnt that difficult to erect, it just takes a bit of practice :-bd
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I started using a tarp only a couple of years ago and now find tents steamy and claustrophobic, when I used to find them snug and comforting. I'm also starting to struggle with bivvi bags, and Ive recently got a new Borah Gear one, which is as roomy and breathable as they get. At this rate, I suspect that this time next year I will be sleeping nude in a pile of leaves.
I'm just going outside ...
Mart

Post by Mart »

The more I use my borah bivi bag the more I'm liking it
Last couple of times I've been out I've not bothered with either tent or tarp
Breathes really well
2924 miles per Gallon
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

I prefer the tarp wen I know it's going to be dry. It's true about the feeling of being connected. You can see the stars, watch the moonrise and the sunrise just by opening one eye. The air smells fresh and whiffy farts drift away quickly.

The tent is my choice in wetter and busier places. Yes, the feeling of being disconnected from the outside is correct, for me it's like crawling into a cocoon. I feel safe and warm and it's visually private. The major downside is the possibility of death by dutch oven.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The major downside is the possibility of death by dutch oven.
Woah, hold on a minute, you've lost me.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

s8tannorm wrote:
The major downside is the possibility of death by dutch oven.
Woah, hold on a minute, you've lost me.
A Dutch oven is a slang term for lying in bed with another person and pulling the covers over the person's head while flatulating, thereby creating an unpleasant situation in an enclosed space. :o
Gari

Post by Gari »

:lol: I was taking you to mean how hot in can get in a tent when the sun gets at it......much prefer your definition.
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

Death by dutch oven is not fun. To the extent that both myself and the wife have a mutually enforced ban on farting when in a tent together, even though we both find farting for the other's discomfort hilarious under normal circumstances. Too much risk of collateral damage in a tent.
Gari

Post by Gari »

Who said romance is dead? :roll:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Marriage, it's the death of romance :lol: