Leg warmers - any recommendations?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slarge

Leg warmers - any recommendations?

Post by slarge »

I am looking for some leg warmers for a bit of a jaunt round Scotland in a months time. They need to be thin, lightweight, and not too warm as my legs don't tend to get cold (they are more to keep my legs tick and midge free, whilst giving the option to cool off if the weather gets warm) . Anyone use these and have any recommendations? Ta
Ian

Re: Leg warmers - any recommendations?

Post by Ian »

Someone will no doubt suggest something much cheaper, but Assos leg warmers are good for me. They'll also feature on my Scotland trips.
InspiredRamblings

Post by InspiredRamblings »

The Craft 3D warmers get great reviews. I've got a pair (of the XS ones even though I'm 6ft - Always riding advise to go for the small ones as they're so stretchy) that I haven't worn in anger yet and might have to sell as I think I may be able to get away without padded shorts and I don't think the leg warmers will stay up with just a pair of boxers to grip them... If you fancy them, let me know.
Salsa Horsethief XT (2020)
Jamis Dragonslayer (2016)

http://www.uninspiredramblings.com
composite

Post by composite »

I have the Endura Thermolite Leg Warmers and can highly recommend them.They keep me warm, stay in one place and don't fall down. In light rain don't soak up the water and even in heavy rain they never feel saturated and then dry pretty quickly.

Just don't wear them all day and then sleep in them and then keep wearing them all the next day. :| Not kidding you I have 2 scars on the top of my thighs where the gripper strips rubbed through the skin. It was a cold night and I didn't have spare clothes blaaa blaaaa.
Since then I have worn them for long periods 10-12 hours riding and they have been comfortable and not sore at all. I think it was the sleeping in them that was a big error in judgment.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Merino wool.
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Aldi ones. Cheap and cheerful and work very well. Lasted me years. Used their arm warmers too.
I'll echo Composite's view about not wearing all day and night.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I can't remember if mine are Aldi or Lidl, but they're great

The arm warmers are too big though which is annoying. They came in one pack so can't take them back

Despite that, buying both is still cheaper than buying leg warmers on their own!
slarge

Post by slarge »

And this is where I struggle! 5 replies and 5 different recommendations, for something as easy as a legwarmer!
:???:
The Assos look good, but I will rarely wear them so is £50 well spent? The Enduras will be too warm based on my leggings of the same material, and the Craft ones look the most promising so far. The Aldi ones only come out once a year. Decisions......
I'm not going to ask about overshoes, I am just going to get some cheap roadie ones and wreck them with lots of hike a bike.
Ian

Post by Ian »

£50...?!
I don't think I paid more than £30 for mine. Quite a few years ago now though.

The other thing about the Assos ones is the grippers are on the outside of the upper seam, so they grip your shorts and not directly against your skin.
SimonD

Post by SimonD »

MY DHB ones were £8 just plain blue lycra from wiggle
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got some of the cheap On-One merino arm warmers. They've been great, so I've no reason to suspect the leg warmers won't be okay.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I've got Santini ones. Really like them (just to add another recommendation to the pot!)
Nick

Post by Nick »

I just picked up a pair of Royal Racing legwarmers from CRC.

Seem nice enough for £8.42, certainly better than the Aldi ones that were fine for a few years before I ripped them.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/roya ... -prod88075
InspiredRamblings

Post by InspiredRamblings »

I also have the Endura Thermolights. They've been great, esp in the wet, but I find them pretty warm and tight on my (not so big) thighs....
Salsa Horsethief XT (2020)
Jamis Dragonslayer (2016)

http://www.uninspiredramblings.com
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

Another recommendation for the cheap DHB ones. I used them last weekend on a bivi with a cutting easterly wind and they did the job without me overheating on the climbs out of the wind. I slept in them too and they stayed up all night (ie: didn't slither down to my ankles). I've got some Orca 3/4 merino ones and some thicker full length ones, they're fine in colder conditions (when I'd probably be wearing tights anyway) but too hot for changeable Spring time conditions. My DHB ones are a sober black, unlike simonD's blue ones if that's any help :-)
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Have some Crikey, how much ones that are good, several years old and still going strong. I had some defeet ones but weren't keen on them (despite the, arm warmers being excellent!)
Gilbo71

Post by Gilbo71 »

I've got some Crikey, how much ones too, they are the only I've tried that have either stayed up or not been that tight they cut off the blood supply - but they are quite expensive.
slarge

Post by slarge »

thanks all - I haven't made up my mind yet, in true STW fashion I will ignore the input from you all, buy something with paypal gift, moan when it doesn't arrive, and end up out of pocket with nothing to keep my legs warm.

Or buy one of everything and sell them in a year or 2 for tuppence.
SimonD wrote: by SimonD » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:15 am
MY DHB ones were £8 just plain blue lycra from wiggle
Blue! Blue? that's a clash waiting to happen - even for £8 I don't think I could get away with that. Would clash with the red nipples on my wheels!
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

What about Luso, made in the UK as well-

http://www.lusso-clothing.co.uk/Roubaix-Leg-Warme
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I'm also looking for leg (or maybe knee) warmers for an upcoming Scotland trip. The On-One Merino ones look good but prob too hot for this time of year, I reckon. I'm off to Wiggle to look at the DHB ones.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Bio-tex knitted stretchy fabric from PX/OO. £11 a pair (legs & arms) and water beads on them. Perfect.
royAB

Post by royAB »

OnOne (or a.n.other) merino for both arm & leg (and merino is cool in the heat oddly)
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Another yes for Endura ones like composite has. But like him, the grip-strip is pretty harsh if you leave them on for a whole day, they have stripped a layer of skin off my thigh a few times now. But now I'm used to it, i remember to move the strip up/down a bit when I stop during a longer ride.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Well I've ordered some DHB ones. Reckoned I couldn't go too far wrong for £8
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The problem with these seems to be that the description is never too clear on how thick/warm they are. Like the OP, I'm after a set of very lightweight legwarmers but looking at mail order sites it's difficult to distinguish between the various fabrics.