instant porridge oats with milk in sachets ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

mtbmarkymark

instant porridge oats with milk in sachets ?

Post by mtbmarkymark »

Does anyone know of a source of porridge in sachets with milk powder already added. ?
I want the sort that come in an foil sachet so you just pour in boiling water, stir and leave to stand for a few mins
You used to get these in army ration packs

Alternatively does anyone know of a suitable sealable foil sachet so i could mix my own
i'm thinking Ready Brek + nido milk powder mixed.

The idea is to just boil up a large mug of water, pour some out to make porridge, then make a brew in the mug. voila no washing up.

Cheers Mark
Chew

Re: instant porridge oats with milk in sachets ?

Post by Chew »

Pour and Store bags?
Pre mix at home and then just add your water when you need it. Easily wash and reuse the bags several times and they are fine with boiling water.
composite

Post by composite »

I actually had this exact breakfast on Wednesday morning looking out over Llyn Brianne Reservoir.

60g of Ready break, 30g of powdered milk in a very cheap zip lock bag (not even the good quality pour and store ones). Boil some water, pour it in and mix until you are happy with the consistency.

EDIT: You can add dried fruit as well.
Mandicky

Post by Mandicky »

I'm a bit lazy so I buy the instant porridge pots and empty the contents into a bag. They come in all sorts of flavours and I'll always add some sultanas too :smile:
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I have done both of the above. Either decant from a pot into a plastic bag and add watrer. Or I have added powdered milk to the oats and done it that way. And add fruit as has already been said..

If you buy a couple of pots you can decant as above into a little bag and store them in the original plastic pot. Takes up little room or weight and gives an extra pot for eating out of while you have a brew in a mug.
Eoghan

Post by Eoghan »

Last time I was out I went with a couple of different brands of instant porridge (Sainsbury's own brand and Alpen). The Alpen were vastly superior and worth the price premium. I bought them at the last minute so didn't have a suitable bag to pour them into - so just took the extra bulk of the pots - what bags work best?

I've had Oat So Simple which are quite good as well.

Having hot porridge and a mug of white coffee whilst propping yourself up on an elbow in a bivvy bag is one of life's great experiences that so many could have but so few ever will.
slarge

Post by slarge »

would it work with cold water? (Just thinking of cooker-less camping options!)
Nick

Post by Nick »

I've used this stuff before, which is good hot or cold (better hot of course). Quite sweet and apparently full of all sorts of good stuff that you need, who knows. Ate it out of the bag and it tasted good.

http://mountainfuel.co.uk/product/morning-fuel/

I reckon Ready Brek or cheap "fine" porridge (expensive jumbo oats stuff tends to need cooking properly ime), with dried milk, sugar, a multi vit tablet if you felt it necessary and the dirt on the spoon you used to eat the meal the evening before, would probably do you just as well though.
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

Thanks for the replys. I've done some more research and found some suitable bags. They are ziploc silver foil (mylar) bags. 50 for £8 from fresherpack.co.uk. i have checked with them and they are suitable for pouring boillng water straight into. M.

@composite. Know it well, have eaten my sarnies at the soar y mynth chapel many times. Never made the climb without dabbing....
Mart

Post by Mart »

A couple of freezer bags (on inside the other)
- 2x oatibix
- 3 tablespoons of Milk Powder

And some other stuff to suit
- Sqeeze of Honey
- Raisins
- Sliced up Apricots
- Pine nuts (or some other nuts)

Just add water and eat
2924 miles per Gallon
FLV

Post by FLV »

I don't like porridge.

If if bivi out with someone who eats if for brekkie the always look so pleased with them selves scoffing it that I want to try it.

Very time I do I regret it though
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

FLV, I was the same until last year and then I forced myself to like it. The ones with the golden syrup are a good starting point.

Anyone else find they feel 'empty' about 45 mins after eating porridge? It didn't give me that all day fullness that everyone raves about :sad:
nobby

Post by nobby »

slarge wrote:would it work with cold water? (Just thinking of cooker-less camping options!)
I always eat my oats cold.

Pre packed bags with 55g of oats & 25g of currants (before I went dairy free last year I also included powdered milk) just add cold water and eat. It is one of your 5 a day, about 250kcals, and the texture is much better than the wallpaper paste slop that is traditional porridge.
If you need it hot pour your coffee or tea on and save on fuel and water.
You can also use the oats & currant mix to bulk up the Heinz soup tubes giving you a bit over 500kcals and two or three of your 5 a day depending which two soup tubes you use.
"What doesn't kill us makes us stranger." - The Joker
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

If you want to eat cold I would put the oats/milk powder in water the night before and allow it to absorb over night. Done this in the past at home through the summer where I used milk on porridge and left it in the fridge overnight. I would suggest using 'nicer' oats if doing this rather than cheap oats. Again, add your various dried fruit, nuts, seeds etc.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

would it work with cold water? (Just thinking of cooker-less camping options!)
If I'm going cookerless, I convert mine into flapjack before I go :wink:

Half a jar of runny honey, butter (120g should be ample) in a bowl and heat in the microwave for 3 minutes. Stir in oats until it looks like thick porridge, spread it onto a non-stick tray and smooth out/press down with a wet spoon (you want it 20mm - 25mm thick). In the oven for 20 mins at 200c and cut into pieces while warm.

Goes down well with a brew at breakfast ... or any other time :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
nobby

Post by nobby »

Blackhound wrote:If you want to eat cold I would put the oats/milk powder in water the night before and allow it to absorb over night. Done this in the past at home through the summer where I used milk on porridge and left it in the fridge overnight. I would suggest using 'nicer' oats if doing this rather than cheap oats. Again, add your various dried fruit, nuts, seeds etc.

That works for swelling everything up and gets the fruit sugars into the oats but you lose the crunchy, chewy texture of the raw oats
"What doesn't kill us makes us stranger." - The Joker
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

Went to Lakeland today and picked up some 500ml soup and sauce bags, gusseted to stand up and rounded bottom corners.
They look well able to cope with pouring the boiling water in without going too floppy and that should mean i can perhaps reuse them too.
Then to Cotswold for a Sea to Summit long handled spoon to mix with. Looking forward to trying next week.
thanks for all the ideas to jazz up the porridge. M
InspiredRamblings

Post by InspiredRamblings »

For off the shelf options, the Oats So Simple sachets don't contain milk powder (annoying) but their pots do. However they're quite bulky.

Grasshopper Foods make porridge and soups in pop up pots that take up much less space, and the porridge does contain milk powder (and fruit options). Quite a clever idea but not the cheapest. They also don't feel like huge portions, even tho I think they contain the same amount as Oats So Simple sachets, which I use a lot. Quite a novel idea though, simple if you don't want to bother with prep, and quite tasty.
Salsa Horsethief XT (2020)
Jamis Dragonslayer (2016)

http://www.uninspiredramblings.com
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

InspiredRamblings wrote: Grasshopper Foods make porridge and soups in pop up pots that take up much less space, and the porridge does contain milk powder (and fruit options). Quite a clever idea but not the cheapest. They also don't feel like huge portions, even tho I think they contain the same amount as Oats So Simple sachets, which I use a lot. Quite a novel idea though, simple if you don't want to bother with prep, and quite tasty.
I've tried most of the Grasshopper Foods pots, they're all good, including the thai green curry noodles :wink:
But even the hopper pots are more bulky than if a food bag is used & they're not the cheapest option.

The hopper pot itself could actually be re-used on a multi-day trip, although the concertina shape can be a bit awkward for getting the last bits of food out of..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!