Waterproof jacket recommendations?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

DoctorRad

Waterproof jacket recommendations?

Post by DoctorRad »

I sweat. A lot. I therefore find many waterproofs uncomfortably sweaty. Looking to buy a new waterproof jacket to be used for regular commuting during the winter, and as an MTB waterproof jacket at the weekends. Features in order of importance are:

1) Very breathable
2) Good ventilation
3) Durability-per-£ (i.e. I don't mind it being not very durable if it's cheap. If it's expensive, it needs to be durable)
4) Hood big enough to go over a helmet
5) Zips can easily be operated with one hand
6) Fairly long with a good sized rear flap
7) Good sized hand pockets (preferably chest height not waist height)

What would you recommend?
Ben98

Re: Waterproof jacket recommendations?

Post by Ben98 »

Does it have to be "waterproof"?
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

Depends. I don't mind being a bit damp so long as I'm not cold and damp. I'd prefer something I can use in summer without getting too sweaty, and then put more layers underneath in the winter... so I guess I'm not looking at something which insulates as well as weatherproofs.

Are you thinking about the Paramo option? I'm definitely considering going down that route, but a bit worried the fabric might insulate (thermally) a but too much. Input appreciated.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I'm happy with my Altura Night-Vision waterproof. Can't comment on the hood as it's an optional item and I haven't bothered getting one yet. It's a tenner extra. The back has a vent in it and the pit zips work pretty well with a single gloved hand. The reflective bits and built in light are handy for commuting.

The women's ones are half-price at Evans currently. ;)
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/teclite-shirt/
This sounds to fit the bill, i have the ripstop version without the hood (http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/product ... ite-shirt/) and its brilliant, but i would probably go with standard pertex if i bought again, it just seems more windproof and you seem to want a hood
There's also this, its the same but with a front zip http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/product ... te-jacket/
Hope this helps
Ben
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/product ... cle-shirt/
Just remembered this is basically the cycling version with a vented back and longer zip
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

I used to have a Buffalo shirt, which I got on with pretty well so long as it was below freezing! I'd imagine that the Teclite shirts would be far too warm for use as a summer waterproof, but I might have a look as a winter outer layer and commuting solution.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

It will be worth looking at mountaineering jackets too, they tick all the boxes except, perhaps, the long in the tail. For fabrics, my preference is Gore-tex active shell (most breathable of the GTX range) although it would be wise to consider event and polartec neo-shell.

Rab, mountain equipment, TNF etc etc will do these type of jackets for ₤200ish. I'm currently using an Arcteryx Beta FL that has impressed me no end
bobs

Post by bobs »

Paramo is a good option as you can wear less under it, no condensation and well vented. And it lasts forever.

Bob
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

Proper mountaineering jackets are certainly an option, but I'm always interested to hear what others are getting along well with, especially if they're a hot bod like myself...
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

The teclite insulation is much less warm than the standard pile lining, ive found that whilst it is too warm for summer, spring, autumn are all covered :)
FLV

Post by FLV »

bobs wrote:Paramo is a good option as you can wear less under it, no condensation and well vented. And it lasts forever.

Bob
I also like paramo. I have a velez smock that is about 5 years old now. Its pretty warm but they do a 'light' version I'm hankering after too
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

FLV wrote:
bobs wrote:Paramo is a good option as you can wear less under it, no condensation and well vented. And it lasts forever.

Bob
I also like paramo. I have a velez smock that is about 5 years old now. Its pretty warm but they do a 'light' version I'm hankering after too

I wanna get that paramo pasco when I get a chance.

I have a gore oxygen thing, was amazing I thought when I got it, but over time I've decided that waterproof membrane based jackets aren't the way to go and it's all about staying at the correct temperature, I no longer care if I'm wet! Enter pertex in the summer and paramo on the winter (although I am using a gore windstopper jacket too as it breathes a bit better than the fully waterproof one)
FLV

Post by FLV »

Zippy. That would be a warm jacket for sure, waterproof too. Probably similar to the velez I guess.

Paramo's are very comfy to wear. I use mine a lot when it gets to about 3 degrees or preferably lower, or indeed wet and cold as its very warm.
I guess as a point of reference I was wearing an endura baa baa short sleeve and an endura windchill sofshell fronted jacket on Monday night. it probably got to 5 degrees, was dry too. The paramo would have been a bit too warm.

I also like RAB vapour rise jackets, cheaper and lighter than Paramo but not waterproof
Tanglefist

Post by Tanglefist »

I also run hot, normally I just taking the jacket off and getting wet. I think a "Berghaus Velum II Gore-Tex Active Jacket" will tick all the boxes.

1) Very breathable

Pro-shell goretex, so yep. No pit zips, but the pocket are also vents.

2) Good ventilation

As above.

3) Durability-per-£ (i.e. I don't mind it being not very durable if it's cheap. If it's expensive, it needs to be durable)

I haven't had mine long enough to comment authoritatively.

4) Hood big enough to go over a helmet

Yep. It's got a wired hood, so you can mold it a fair bit to your preferences.

5) Zips can easily be operated with one hand

More or less. All the pulls to tension the hood and collar are designed for one handed using fro climbing and such.

6) Fairly long with a good sized rear flap

Slightly longer, not so long as a full on cycling jacket though.

7) Good sized hand pockets (preferably chest height not waist height)

Yep.

The collar can be a little irritating when the weather isn't horrible, but great when it's gets nasty. I've also got an endura MT-500 jacket. It's pretty nice, heavier though. Long pit and chest zips. The hood isn't big enough for 95% of helmets. After years of service, the zip is starting to fail. It has a pocket on the wrist which is weird and mostly pointless.

The nightvision jackets are ok, and relatively cheap. The zips seem to fail with irritating regularity - although I've only seen a very small sample number.
Lughnasadh

Post by Lughnasadh »

I use a dhb event jacket for road, commute and mountain bike.

Great jacket - keeps water out and lets vapour out - I have been bone dry working hard in some serious downpours and I am a fairly heavy sweater!

No pockets and no hood version though. I think they normally retail around 100 - 110 but often come up in wiggle sales for around 80.
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

I do actually have an Arc'teryx Gore-Tex Pro-shell jacket that my wife got me in a sale last year, but I've been keeping it for 'best', i.e. skiing and big days on the hill. Since we're not going skiing this season, I'll try it out for commuting and see how breathable it is.

My current commuting and riding jacket is Rab eVent, which I thought was supposed to be very breathable, but that's not my current experience. However, it's over five years old, and I've heard elsewhere that eVent doesn't stay breathable if you don't keep it very clean. When I have washed it, I was unable to get the surface repellency back my using a warm iron as the care instructions suggested, so I soaked it in TX Direct. Might this have wrecked its breathability? Any suggestions that might get its breathability back?
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

A hub is essential in my view but it doesn't have to fit over the helmet.
In heavy rain my helmet fits OVER my hood...
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

Hood under helmet is fine on the hill, but I don't like it for commuting as it changes the way you hear other vehicles on the road - you lose directional sound cues as the hood is tight over your ears. Over helmet is still different, but better than under helmet.
Eoghan

Post by Eoghan »

For some reason it seems to me that "walking" waterproofs are more expensive than "cycling" ones pound-for-pound. Cycling models don't come much more expensive than the Gore Fusion which is less than £200 I think (Gore-Tex Active Shell) whereas £200 doesn't buy you much of a walking waterproof unless it's on offer, top of the range ones can be double that. Presumably just marketing?

I have a Gore Fusion which I'm pretty happy with, also an eVent walking jacket by Montane which is great although cut too long for biking.

Breathable you're talking Active Shell or eVent, although if you'#re not bothered by waterproofing of course a soft shell or windproof would be more breathable still. Ventilation - apart from pit zips can't everything else be done just by unzipping?
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Eoghan wrote:For some reason it seems to me that "walking" waterproofs are more expensive than "cycling" ones pound-for-pound. Cycling models don't come much more expensive than the Gore Fusion which is less than £200 I think (Gore-Tex Active Shell) whereas £200 doesn't buy you much of a walking waterproof unless it's on offer, top of the range ones can be double that. Presumably just marketing?
I think they're very similar in price and more expensive because of the extra material and features. Walking jackets will always be hooded (generally wired) and will have more fabric in certain areas (shoulders etc) and more zippered pockets. E.g:

http://store.berghaus.com/p/mens/men-s- ... ket/434194

I wear a Berghaus Temperance II jacket for trekking (and bikepacking in places like a Scotland) and a montane singletrack jacket for anything else as I want something that dries quickly. Think I paid around £180 for the Berghaus one though rather than the RRP. The raptor hood is excellent and fits over a lid.

Edit: Berghaus £160 here if you like green:

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/berghaus ... tAodvmAAfQ
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

That Berghaus is broadly similar to (edit: though probably lighter than) my Arc'teryx. Now considering lightweight / windproof / non-membrane options...