Road bike handlebars

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Zoglug

Road bike handlebars

Post by Zoglug »

Hey everyone,

Not your typical question for a mountain bike nased forum but here goes:-

Ive been looking at the possibility of using my road bike to do some long distance touring, the problem i have is mounting the bag to the handlebars. As you can see from the pic, the 13l airlok extra bag is a tight fit and doesnt leave a lot of room for my hands and for shifting (poor sora shifters on my bar).

I dont really want to go with flat bars, as i like the drops so have been considering the On One Midge bars. Has anyone used them to a similar effect? Will they allow me to use a 13l airlok mounted using the Wildcat mountain lion? Is there any other type of bar i should be considering?
jameso

Re: Road bike handlebars

Post by jameso »

Midges and 46cm Woodchippers with a 13l alpkit bag holding a bag and mat, in a Revelate harness set up -

..if you can make out the detail, the second pic is the Woodchipper. If you like riding on the hoods and the drops like a road bike the Woodchippers are a better bar, a more vertical hood position. Both had similar space around the hoods despite the Woodchipper feeling wider overall. The Revelate pocket is 12" wide I think, for reference. Let me know if you need any measurements off the bars.
restlessshawn

Re: Road bike handlebars

Post by restlessshawn »

I have midges on my road bike, will try and get a chance to try a 13l bag on that at the weekend as I have been thinking about a lightweight tour on it