Wells next to the sea 400K
Clun Mill 375K
Mankinholes 375K
Rowan 350K
Helmsley 325K
Kington 300K
Lockton (Dalby Forest) 250K

-----

The news is what it is, and I'm sure the general view here will be of sadness/anger. Hopefully some of them will live on as independent hostels, maybe YHA is moving towards a franchise model rather than owner-operator. But what was once quite a network is pretty decimated.

Do you use YHAs? I often do, as a staging post between nights in the open, especially in shoulder seasons when it's nice to be able to have a shower, wash clothes, use the drying room, take cover from foul weather. Will we miss them when they're (even more) gone? Can B&Bs, bunkhouses, independent hostels, Premier Inns, AirBNB, campsites etc fulfil that function?

I feel pretty gutted as I like what I see as the communality and democracy (i.e. cheapness) of YHA. They're places where you're part of a shared endeavour, not just a customer. But maybe that's just nostalgia and wishful thinking?
redefined_cycles

Re: YHA puts 1/3 of properties up for sale

Post by redefined_cycles »

Sad to see. I'll probably cancel my yearly sub soon depending on how the story pans out...
JackT

Post by JackT »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:25 am Sad to see. I'll probably cancel my yearly sub soon depending on how the story pans out...
I'm more 'stay and fight'. But again, possibly misguided.

I don't expect they're selling them off for fun, must be financial pressure. All that time closed or lower occupancy during Covid. I remember after foot and mouth they were in a terrible financial hole and sold off a bunch of properties. Covid must have hit harder, unless they were somehow compensated by furlough etc.
faustus

Post by faustus »

I'm more inclined to try and use them now, and sad to see my nearest one on the list (Streatley). Although whenever i've tried to book somewhere in the past few years it's always been fully booked...but I can imagine Covid has hit hard, and i've no idea, but if they have outstanding loans or mortgages secured against properties, then I can imagine interest rate rises causing problems?? I do hope many continue as hostels, but I can also see them being developed or converted to put them in the 'National Trust Holiday Cottages' price bracket - which would be a real shame.
Verena

Post by Verena »

That's sad to see.

Wish I could have the one on Poppit Sands....
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

I feel pretty gutted as I like what I see as the communality and democracy (i.e. cheapness) of YHA. They're places where you're part of a shared endeavour, not just a customer. But maybe that's just nostalgia and wishful thinking?
Just look at the independent hostels, half of them are ex YHA anyway

https://www.blytheswood.co.uk/

Great little place
faustus

Post by faustus »

That one looks lovely, but kinda proves my point, it is 50 to 75 quid a night minimum 2 night stay... doesn't help if you're travelling through and want basic but not boutique... :???:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

JackT wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:40 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:25 am Sad to see. I'll probably cancel my yearly sub soon depending on how the story pans out...
I'm more 'stay and fight'. But again, possibly misguided.

I don't expect they're selling them off for fun, must be financial pressure. All that time closed or lower occupancy during Covid. I remember after foot and mouth they were in a terrible financial hole and sold off a bunch of properties. Covid must have hit harder, unless they were somehow compensated by furlough etc.
That too... Maybe... Only £15 sub per year but it just seems like we're not really getting very far with em anymore. Used to love em but prices (whenever I've checked) of late have become restrictive. Possibly due to Covid at which time I managed to get good help outof them.

Might stay!!
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Haven't stayed in one for ages. My OH wouldn't be happy with "rough n ready" accommodation and the last time I looked at one a "proper" hotel was either the same price or negligible difference in price.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Can't imagine the rise of Air B&B has done much to help.

It does appear that some years ago YHA moved with the times ie more facilities and as you'd expect, higher prices ... I wonder if by doing so, they lost much of their USP and put themselves in direct competition with a much bigger pool of accommodation providers?
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

johnnystorm wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:33 pm Haven't stayed in one for ages. My OH wouldn't be happy with "rough n ready" accommodation and the last time I looked at one a "proper" hotel was either the same price or negligible difference in price.
Put this into another thread the other week

Just had a look for Keswick (both August dates)

YHA in private room for three plus en suite £680 for 4 nights

Cottage via Sykes, 2 bedrooms, kitchen, lounge etc etc £625

:shock:

Second to last time I went to Keswick in October half term, was £100 difference for a stay in the YHA (en suite) to staying in a 3 bedroom place and it meant the in laws got a free holiday as they could stay with us.

They might be alright if your alone, don’t mind a dorm but I don’t feel like they want families there with those prices…
JackT

Post by JackT »

Last summer I did two nights at YHA Port Eynon in a family room that sleeps up to six (double bed, two sets of bunks). The hostel is the old lifeboat station and the room had a big picture window overlooking the bay. No en-suite but not a big hostel so never a problem. £86 a night. Not dirt cheap but felt good value especially given the location.

Dorm beds typically £15/night. Camping (with use of all the facilities inside) about £10/night. But agree that they maybe fall between the two stools of more comfortable hotels/B&Bs and more consciously 'roughing it' in a tent or a bothy.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

That one looks lovely, but kinda proves my point, it is 50 to 75 quid a night minimum 2 night stay...
It was a lot cheaper when I stayed, probably now recovering their investment in the new facilities, I was getting a room for £25 a night but stayed a week, others in the communal room were cheaper
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

We use them a lot as a family. 2 adults and one under 12 and they work out cheap over hotels.

WIll be a shame to see some of these venues go as we've stayed in them in the past year. Hathersage and Patterdale especially.

Surprised Mankinholes is so cheap. House prices in the Calder Valley are nuts at the moment, that is a cracking price for the location it is in.
ton

Post by ton »

Myself and my wife are yha members and use them all the time. Sadly they are nothing like they were. The price system is very strange. Even off putting g sometimes.

Got a week touring planned for September. Staying at,
Malham. Kirkby Stephen. Keswick. Ambleside and Carnforth. Last night would have been Silverdale but that was sold a few years ago.
I will use them as long as they stay open. Had some amazing times staying in hostels.
Loki

Post by Loki »

I actually got to speak to a friend who is staff in one of the Cornish YHA buildings, it seems they are selling them on as a franchise and will stay within the YHA structure, I have stopped in many over the years, sadly now they are pricing themselves out of the market, when it is cheaper to get a B&B or hotel room with more to offer for much less than their pricing, it is a real shame.
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com