Achilles swelling, experiences and tips?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Achilles swelling, experiences and tips?

Post by jameso »

I'm enjoying some enforced downtime in the Ecrins.. it would be more enjoyable without a minor Achilles inflammation but then I wouldn't have had a very leisurely couple of days in one of the most beautiful areas I know of.
Inflammation there isn't something I've had before. Nothing on the bike changed but a new cleat on that side a week before the trip was a bit too far fwd. Probably caused by that and doing 2 long flat days to start, I'm really not used to pedalling on the flat for that kind of distance. Plus a general lack of miles as build up, not been doing many real all-day rides so far this year.

Anyway.. I lowered my saddle a tad as soon as it felt odd there, reduced ankling while pedalling. Stopped riding more than a few miles here and there the day after it came on, when I realised it was more than a general stiffness, so I've been resting as much as poss last 48hrs. A couple of ibuprofen a day and putting my foot in a cold mountain stream. It's not really painful but riding now will only make it worse.

I'm wary of riding soon after it feeling normal and aggravating it again, likewise I'd rather be riding than getting a train home..
Anyone had similar, any advice on how long it needs? TIA
Cheeky Monkey

Re: Achilles swelling, experiences and tips?

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Had achilles issues previously but from climbing not riding.

Ice therapy - cube in a cloth and then worked gently over injury area for 2 to 4 minutes. Reduce inflamation and encourage blood flow. Repeat a few times a day. I wonder if it might be a bit less "full-on" chilling and more localised-cold-therapy focused than a mountain stream?

Sorbothane heel inserts so tendon isn't extended quite so much during use. Not sure if that is frowned on now, possibly not something to do longterm and to be careful about when removing and going back to "normal" insoles.

e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sorbothane-Sho ... 9976&psc=1

Physios always seem to be able to find the source of a problem which is not actually where the pain and discomfort manifests :roll: I'm not one and gawd knows if it's related but, in the belief that it'd probably not do any harm or make things worse, foam rolling legs, particularly calves might help "take tension" off the achilles. You can improvise a roller out of lots of things - tins of beans, tennis balls etc etc.

2p and a lot of guesswork. Healing vibes :cool:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Thanks CM. I'm stretching fairly well these days, in fact it might be an increase in that and the type of stretches in recent months that freed up the hip tension, that let me put in longer days to start, that gave me an overuse issue. The ankle bones connected to the, hip bone.. gah. Age innit. Playing catch up on all the physical maintenance we need to ride well generally.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

There was some chat about this a few years ago (like 2014/15) in relation to cleat position. The view was that the further back the cleat, the less strain on the achilles. I'd been having issues with mine and this sorted it.

So I guess if you get your cleat back where it should be, or even further back if poss, that should sort it?? I do a lot of hamstring and calf stretching and I suspect this also gives the achilles an easier time when pedaling.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Cheers Phil. Cleats are already pretty far back, something I changed about 10yrs ago now so it may be setting off with one ~5mm further fwd than it should be. Normally not too sensitive to set up but, age and longer distance than last 6 mths, maybe
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

James... first few years of making the 240 miler/24H route I would use my flatties. No pain and evwrything sorted. Then started using spd and it cames in buckets. Ended in this year when I was off cycling for almost half a year with sciatica. I reckon it was all linked over the years and hadn't done much stretching for almost 15 years.

Anyway, recently during my time training for the Everesting (which in reading about and seeing what others have been doing in terms of Everesting, I'm reassured that my mtb climb is harder) I've added in green juices. Like smoothies but home made. 75% greens and 25%fruits. It's definitely not in my head that my recovery rate and inflammation has dropped by over 50%.

Will elaborate later and probably more of a long term plan but I no longer need to have cold showers to manage the imflammation it seems.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

https://youtu.be/tovkf5nxXKk

This was what the herbalist suggested me to watch before starting my 600ml per day raw smoothies. Last chest infection lasted 2 days during this. Before that, in Jan, lasted almost 6 weeks. Defo summat to consider long term methinks...

NB. I usually have 3 chest infections per year withsome being pneumonia. Hopefully this is changing :grin:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Flatties.. there's a good idea for riding in the next week or 3, as a safeguard. Good to know diet can help with inflammation too, will try that. Thanks Shafiq.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Time(mtb) pedals have a float which cured my knee issues. No idea if they will help with feet issues though

Not cheap can lend a pair with cleats if you want to try first
jameso

Post by jameso »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:29 pm Time(mtb) pedals have a float which cured my knee issues. No idea if they will help with feet issues though

Not cheap can lend a pair with cleats if you want to try first
Cheers, I have Shimanos and theyve always seemed good - worth bearing Times in mind as something to try. I think Greg on here said we should put in the prep work rather than buy solutions :) but if new pedals are part of this, all good
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Shimano gave me bad knees, Time's didn't. My knees like the float and my cleat-set-up-skills are probably a bit pony. Time's let me get away with it.

YMMV :cool: