Rail strikes the day before I travel

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rollindoughnut

Rail strikes the day before I travel

Post by rollindoughnut »

Sorry for being needy. It's just that I haven't had a proper trip since February and I'd like the getting there part to not be the lasting memory.
Planning on riding the Cycling UK Snowdonia route N to S on Thursday 6th Oct - Sunday 9th.
Current plan is to drive to Shrewsbury early and get a train around 7.30am to Llandudno. There's now a strike on the 5th. Would you expect much disruption on the 6th. I ask because down my way SE of London it'd be a mess for ages.

Whilst we're here; I'm thinking that we'll (will be with a friend), arrive at Machynlleth sometime on Sunday and jump on a train back to Shrewsbury. They seem to be every hour. Any local knowledge on this.

Again I apologise for trying to manage every variable but as for the actual riding I'll take it as it comes as I have faith in myself and my buddy. I have no faith at all in British transport networks.
woodsmith

Re: Rail strikes the day before I travel

Post by woodsmith »

Check which operator you'll be using and then have a look at what their website says is the only advice I can give.
RIP

Re: Rail strikes the day before I travel

Post by RIP »

I'd speak to a real person at Transport for Wales Rail, they do have them :smile: .

https://tfw.wales/help-and-contact/ ... ntact-us

Much nicer to talk than browse some webpage. Sometimes I Whatsapp if it's just to book something, and sometimes I phone them if I'm feeling chatty: 03333-211202.

In theory, since it's a weekday, all the empty trains should have been left in the right places on Tuesday night, so no problem, but....

If it was me I'd be booking the bike(s) on the train(s) when you speak to them. Maximum 4 bikes per train and sometimes only 2. As you say, there's a train every hour from Mach to Shrewsbury on Sunday so if you turned up but couldn't get the bikes on you'd just have to nip into the Red Lion for a quick one while waiting for the next train.

I see there's an 07.28 on Thursday from Shrewsbury arriving Llan Jc at 09.18, and there's tickets for £12 if you get in quick. Miss that one and the next is at 08.50.

Have fun!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster