Suggestions for a 3-4 days getaway

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rivers

Suggestions for a 3-4 days getaway

Post by rivers »

I've got 3, maybe 4 days in August to get away for some bikepacking. Where would you suggest in the Southwest of England or South Wales?
Thanks
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Suggestions for a 3-4 days getaway

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

South Wales - Gower is nice but I'm not sure there's really enough for 3 or more days. Black Mountain would be another option. Easy enough to form a 3-4 day loop.
May the bridges you burn light your way
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Westcountry Way https://bikepacking.com/routes/westcountry-way/

Exmoor and Quantock Hills https://bikepacking.com/routes/bikepack ... -quantock/

I definiteley don't recommend the West Kernow Way
rivers

Post by rivers »

woodsmith wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:30 am Westcountry Way https://bikepacking.com/routes/westcountry-way/

Exmoor and Quantock Hills https://bikepacking.com/routes/bikepack ... -quantock/

Any reason you don't recommend the West Kernow Way?
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

rivers wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:46 am
woodsmith wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:30 am Westcountry Way https://bikepacking.com/routes/westcountry-way/

Here's my thoughts from another forum :

I did the WKW a few days after the route was published and IMHO it is crap. Its inaccessablr for regular touring cyclists and far too tarmac heavy to satisfy off road riders. For a route which really requires a mtb or at least a gravel bike with 2" tyres , having 70%+ of the route on tarmac is stupid. West Cornwall is pretty short on bridlepaths compared to other parts of England and Wales and therefor just isn't really suitable for trying to create a long distance off-road route.
There are a few sections of very busy main road and lots of the other lanes, especially down on the Lizard are so narrow as to be extremely dangerous for cycling on, i.e. there is barely enough space for a car and certainley not enough for a car and cycle to pass. High Cornish hedges obscure the view for mile after mile and turn every corner into a blind death trap. There were several errors on the GPX track which hopefully will get sorted out soon, including one which directed you down a stream whereupon you had to lift the bike over a barbed wire topped wall to access the lane on the other side. I rode after a decent dry spell in fine sunny weather yet there were 3 or 4 sections which were quagmires, one actually the path of a stream seemingly. Thats fine, I like a bit of mud and don't care about wet feet but if the route becomes popular these sections will be all but impassable. The moorland section after Men-an-tol is already so eroded as to be dangerous ( a couple I met seriously considered quiting the route after this section. They had also been shouted at for cycling along a road which the residant, probably incorrectley said was private). To direct the route over this section is frankly irresponsible from both a safety and a conservation point of view.
I love a bit of industrial heritage as much, if not more than, the next person, but how many Cornish engine houses does anyone need to see? The ones along the cliffs are iconic, picture postcard images of Cornwall but the section around Camborne-redruth just feels like padding out the mileage.
I'm glad to see that CUK are tackling the problem of historicly misdesignated ROW but putting riders into direct conflict with walkers is not going to win us any friends. Until a dispute is settled and the OS maps updated walkers will quite rightly view us as riding somewhere where we shouldn't be.
I'm an experienced off road tourer/bikepacker on a well equiped mountain bike. There were a few short sections of enjoyable, challenging riding, but so much of the rest of it was dull. Its not for nothing that Cornwall is described as an ordinary picture in a beautiful frame. If you want to see the best of it, leave the bike at home and hike the Southwest Coastal path.
By contrast, I loved the KAW. So much so I did the Ridgeway section a second time later in the summer.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

King Alfred Way - it is a belter if the weather has been dry a few days before. Avoid in rain
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
rivers

Post by rivers »

woodsmith wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:11 am
rivers wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:46 am

Here's my thoughts from another forum :

I did the WKW a few days after the route was published and IMHO it is crap. Its inaccessablr for regular touring cyclists and far too tarmac heavy to satisfy off road riders. For a route which really requires a mtb or at least a gravel bike with 2" tyres , having 70%+ of the route on tarmac is stupid. West Cornwall is pretty short on bridlepaths compared to other parts of England and Wales and therefor just isn't really suitable for trying to create a long distance off-road route.
There are a few sections of very busy main road and lots of the other lanes, especially down on the Lizard are so narrow as to be extremely dangerous for cycling on, i.e. there is barely enough space for a car and certainley not enough for a car and cycle to pass. High Cornish hedges obscure the view for mile after mile and turn every corner into a blind death trap. There were several errors on the GPX track which hopefully will get sorted out soon, including one which directed you down a stream whereupon you had to lift the bike over a barbed wire topped wall to access the lane on the other side. I rode after a decent dry spell in fine sunny weather yet there were 3 or 4 sections which were quagmires, one actually the path of a stream seemingly. Thats fine, I like a bit of mud and don't care about wet feet but if the route becomes popular these sections will be all but impassable. The moorland section after Men-an-tol is already so eroded as to be dangerous ( a couple I met seriously considered quiting the route after this section. They had also been shouted at for cycling along a road which the residant, probably incorrectley said was private). To direct the route over this section is frankly irresponsible from both a safety and a conservation point of view.
I love a bit of industrial heritage as much, if not more than, the next person, but how many Cornish engine houses does anyone need to see? The ones along the cliffs are iconic, picture postcard images of Cornwall but the section around Camborne-redruth just feels like padding out the mileage.
I'm glad to see that CUK are tackling the problem of historicly misdesignated ROW but putting riders into direct conflict with walkers is not going to win us any friends. Until a dispute is settled and the OS maps updated walkers will quite rightly view us as riding somewhere where we shouldn't be.
I'm an experienced off road tourer/bikepacker on a well equiped mountain bike. There were a few short sections of enjoyable, challenging riding, but so much of the rest of it was dull. Its not for nothing that Cornwall is described as an ordinary picture in a beautiful frame. If you want to see the best of it, leave the bike at home and hike the Southwest Coastal path.
By contrast, I loved the KAW. So much so I did the Ridgeway section a second time later in the summer.
Good to know, thank you. KAW is definitely on the radar, and easy enough for myself to get to. Just whether or not the person I'm hoping to ride with can get the time off.
HUX

Post by HUX »

This
https://www.escapism.bike/routes/tour-of-the-cotswolds
Or as mentioned KAW but I preferred the Cotswolds as it was quieter. 4 days is plenty. Route is a bit lumpy in and out of Bath and plenty of bivi spots
rivers

Post by rivers »

Apparently the wife is expecting me to meet her in Ilfracombe at the end of my trip. So weighing up my options- West Country Way, but heading towards Ilfracombe from Exford instead of Minehead or KAW, but taking a train to Barnstaple at the end and meeting the wife in Ilfracombe. I highly doubt my mountain bike build will be finished by then so it will have to be my gravel bike. Thoughts?
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

rivers wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:06 pm Apparently the wife is expecting me to meet her in Ilfracombe at the end of my trip. So weighing up my options- West Country Way, but heading towards Ilfracombe from Exford instead of Minehead or KAW, but taking a train to Barnstaple at the end and meeting the wife in Ilfracombe. I highly doubt my mountain bike build will be finished by then so it will have to be my gravel bike. Thoughts?
If you have the time I'd be tempted to go almost as far as Minehead and take Sustrans Route 51 from Porlock to Ilfracombe. Gravel bike should be fine for most of it IIRC and ideal for the mostly tarmac bit between the 2 moors. I'd take the BW over the top of Dunkery Beacon rather than following the WCW and rejoin the route near Brockwell. This cuts off some rough track and a horrible bit of pushing. Plus excellent views from the beacon.
rivers

Post by rivers »

woodsmith wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:53 pm
rivers wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:06 pm Apparently the wife is expecting me to meet her in Ilfracombe at the end of my trip. So weighing up my options- West Country Way, but heading towards Ilfracombe from Exford instead of Minehead or KAW, but taking a train to Barnstaple at the end and meeting the wife in Ilfracombe. I highly doubt my mountain bike build will be finished by then so it will have to be my gravel bike. Thoughts?
If you have the time I'd be tempted to go almost as far as Minehead and take Sustrans Route 51 from Porlock to Ilfracombe. Gravel bike should be fine for most of it IIRC and ideal for the mostly tarmac bit between the 2 moors. I'd take the BW over the top of Dunkery Beacon rather than following the WCW and rejoin the route near Brockwell. This cuts off some rough track and a horrible bit of pushing. Plus excellent views from the beacon.
Thanks for the advice. I think WCW is going to be my best option over KAW. Now to start planning... Thinking 35-40 miles/day, which would give me a night camping on the edge of Dartmoor, just looking for a place for night 2 and 3 (which will probably be Minehead).
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Depends how close to Minehead you want to be. The top of Dunkery Beacon has great views or you kip in the woodlands past Wootton Courtney.
For the day 2 night I’d just decide where you want to eat or stock up and find somewhere suitable nearby. Mid Devon has loads of great options - it’s got an abundance of fields and copses and hedges to choose from :-bd
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ootini

Post by ootini »

HUX wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:40 am This
https://www.escapism.bike/routes/tour-of-the-cotswolds
Or as mentioned KAW but I preferred the Cotswolds as it was quieter. 4 days is plenty. Route is a bit lumpy in and out of Bath and plenty of bivi spots
This looks good. But dies anyone know where I can download the route without needing a RWGPS premium account please?
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC