Garmin Charge Mounting Solutions

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pistonbroke

Garmin Charge Mounting Solutions

Post by pistonbroke »

Been using an Edge 530 married to their proprietary battery pack for a few months and I'm happy with the extended life it offers on long trips. The 5 pin connection seems much more durable than the crappy micro USB that I've managed to break on previous attempts to keep the GPS charged on the go. The only issue I have is the lack of mounts. You seem to be limited to 2, an out front which is massive and puts the gps in a different postcode whilst interfering with my barbag/accessory bag setup, the other being one designed for use on tri-bars. What I really want is something that connects the battery to the GPS without the handlebar mount but can't find anything, probably a candidate for 3D printing. Before I take a hacksaw to my out front mount, which I'd prefer not to do, has anyone any bright ideas?
lune ranger

Re: Garmin Charge Mounting Solutions

Post by lune ranger »

I did actually take a hacksaw to an out front mount so I could fit a 530 with the batt pack within the loop of some Jones bars. It took a couple of attempts to stick it back together so it didn’t rattle apart but now it’s solid and I’m pleased with the result, despite the fact it’s ever so slightly wonky. That’s on my Krampus, on my Fargo I have a machined metal one that mounts off the stem. It’s by a Japanese firm called Rec-Mounts. They do a few versions, each of which is eye wateringly expensive. They don’t appear to have a European importer so you have to buy from Japan to add to the cost. There are a few on eBay.
My other bike has tri bars and I have the Garmin tri bar mount and it’s fine.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Have a Google for “rec mounts garmin” they may do something that suits your needs. I looked for a 3D printing option for you but could not find one.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Thanks for the thoughts on Rec-Mounts, certainly passes the Barnsley war cry test "OW MUCH?" Ideally I want the battery and GPS to sit on the stem, I think I'll need to use a piece of aluminium plate cut and shaped to replace a headset spacer with a tongue to fix to the back of the battery, I'm a bit loath to have to destroy the out front mount just to get the bit that joins the battery and unit. Garmin claim to make a part to turn a normal mount into one that will hold the battery but it's missing the 1/4 turn tabs so no go there.