WRT checkpoints-newbie questions

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

WRT checkpoints-newbie questions

Post by voodoo_simon »

I've entered into the WRT lite and i'm not really sure what happens or the point of the weekend!

So;
1) What happens at the checkpoints? Do i need to write down a code (or something) to prove i've been there?
2) Is it a race and fastest time/most checkpoints win (not that i'll be able to get to all checkpoints nor get a fast time!)

Cheers, cant wait for the weekend to come round :D
restlessshawn

Re: WRT checkpoints-newbie questions

Post by restlessshawn »

1) No, nobody cares but you
2) As per 1

Think of it as a pointless excuse to explore some lovely countryside and then drink tea / eat cake.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Think of it as a pointless excuse to explore some lovely countryside and then drink tea / eat cake.
Reckon that sums it up quite nicely ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mike

Post by Mike »

I agree, lets hope the sun is shining....is anyone planning a pub meet on the sat evening anywhere?? Would be a shame to miss out on a social BEER!! Im doing the lite version but i can stretch to trails further :P
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

excellent, thought just as much but wasn't sure!

I'm up for a pub meet on the saturday night, so i'll tag along to which ever pub is decided on :D
Mike

Post by Mike »

voodoo_simon.. have u got ur route sorted yet, ive kinda put a route together. Ill have a look into a ph. Borth is about the half way point if all the grids are used iv a camp area in mind so if anyone else is heading out that way for the first night then it could be a good possibility
Nick

Post by Nick »

The North Shropshire Contingent will be in a pub somewhere on Saturday night, every year I say I won't get battered on the first night, every year I wake up on Sunday with 45 miles ahead and a hangover... The Druid in Goginan looks good.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Ah, goginan is too far out the way for me as i can only make the lite version this time so its looking like the pub in Tal y Bont?? Any good for food does anyone know please?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Any good for food does anyone know please?
Never been but there's two, the Black Lion and the White Lion about 50 yards apart ... both look fine.
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

Voodoo_Simon and Yetiman I'm doing lite and had thought of chip supper in Borth but Tal-y-bont in area i had planned to bivi and meeting up for a pint seems a much more sociable thing to do. So if that's the agreed place I will stick my head round the door
Mike

Post by Mike »

Ive googled the pubs in talybont and its looking like the white lion is my prefered fav as looks really nice n got great reviews!! Brothersmith please stick ur head in and say hi ill send u my chosen route to look over see if it is similar to urs, im planning to camp out in the oak forest that was suggested not so far from town....towards Borth... cant wait now to get on it!!!
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Yetiman,
General plan for me is to ride with my mate (he hasn't rode for a few months and i'm singlespeeding!) and go to either of the closest checkpoints. Then using mainly tracks/fireroads, start heading west to Glaslyn (8294) and dip southwest Nant-y-moch reservoir. We'll probably circle south around that to Rhyd Ffosffudr (7286) and descend into Tal-y-bont, drink in the chosen pub and we'll probably steal your bivy site too or somewhere near :D

Not sure on day 2, but we'll probably head towards Mach direction (unless there is a good cafe near?)

Just got to get my bike sorted and tell my mate the route plan :shock:
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

Yetiman wrote: im planning to camp out in the oak forest that was suggested not so far from town....towards Borth... cant wait now to get on it!!!
I had the same plan too. Will try to make Borth checkpoint before hitting pub though but will depend on how keen I am feeling :D

I sent you a PM with some more details

Cheers
Malc
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not sure on day 2, but we'll probably head towards Mach direction (unless there is a good cafe near?)
There's a cafe at SN 629859 and another at SN659922.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

cheers s8tannorm, i've marked those on the map :D

Got a feeling this is going to be a tour of cafes and pubs at this rate... :lol: