Welsh Ride Thing - Advice for an Idiot

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Zoglug

Welsh Ride Thing - Advice for an Idiot

Post by Zoglug »

Hi everyone, small question for you all please.

I was sorting my bike out at weekend to get it ready for my first weekend out at the start of May and noticed i could probably do with a new set of tyres, especially if i convince myself to sign up for the WRT. The bike is an On One 456 and the tyres are the stock tyres, which are a rather fat 2.5". Im not so clued up when it comes to my MTB (mainly a road cyclist), so i am wondering 2 things

1) For bikepacking in general, should i go for something a little narrower
2) What tyre combination you would recommend

I have done a quick search, but the threads i checked on my dinner all seem to be geared towards 29er tyres.

Any advice would be fantastic.

Many thanks

Zog
Last edited by Zoglug on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheeky Monkey

Re: Tyre Recommendations

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Try them and see? Personal preference is the biggest factor.

I know that 's not necessarily helpful though so, if it were me, I would be tempted to run the existing tyre on the front and get something a little narrower (say 2.1 to 2.3 ish) on the back.

Bigger tyre at the front gives lots of shock absorbency and grip, even with the suspension fork I assume you have. Skinnier on the rear is a little more efficient / not such a big lump. Also worth increasing the pressures in tyres once the bike is loaded as softer tyres set up for just rider weight can get rather squirmy when cornering with all that camping gear lashed to it / you ;)
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Depends which route you intend to take on the WRT. I'm on a 26er and generally use XC type tyres as I don't do much full on stuff. Continental Mountain King or Race King are pretty good. Mountain king are for slightly looser stuff so could be a good compromise as it'll probably rain on the WRT.

2.5 is pretty wide unless it's particularly fast rolling but good if you're running a rigid fork.
jameso

Post by jameso »

2.5 is big but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I go for the biggest tyres I can if it's relatively firm ground, only going down to 2.2 in the wet.

A bigger tyre can be used at a lower pressure for more comfort and lower rolling resistance. Makes more difference n a loaded bike than unloaded. The main problem is that big volume tends to mean chunkier treads and needs a wider rim to work well at much below 25psi. The Ardent 2.4 is a great compromise imo but hopeless in the mud. Spesh Purgatory 2.2 is a better all-rounder, big enough and relatively well treaded for soft ground.
Zoglug

Re: Welsh Ride Thing - Advice for an Idiot

Post by Zoglug »

Firstly, thanks for the advice on the tyres, ive been checking them out and looking forward to making a decision on payday tomorrow.

Secondly, i have changed the title. The reason for this is to keep the number of threads i start to a bare minimum! Wouldnt want to annoy people here!

I’ve signed up for the WRT Lite today, and whilst excited. I am a tad nervous too. I’m unfit, overweight but very much looking forward to getting away from the hustle and bustle of real life for a couple of days and trying out some wild camping :D . I’m hoping to cycle 20-25 miles each day and generally just looking to challenge myself as much as possible. I do have a few questions which I am hoping some of you more experienced chaps can answer.

As I am coming over from Manchester, I am looking to drive over the Friday night, is there a place people meet to camp over the Friday night? Is there somewhere I can leave my car nearby for 2 nights?

My main worries however, other than my fitness are surrounding my kit. As I am only doing the Lite, I can’t help but think I am bringing too much stuff (maybe this is where you all tell me i am not bringing enough), having never done this before, I am unsure though. I started a spreadsheet :roll: (I know, shoot me!) but have summarised it here. I was hoping you could cast your eyes over it and just let me know if I have made any glaring mistakes!

Welsh Ride Thing – Kit List

Bike:-
On One 456

Carriers:-
Handle Bars – Mountain Lion with 13l Airlok
Skyehigh 600
Beanie
Leggings
Base Layer
Socks
Gloves

Saddle – Tiger with 8l Airlok (not sure it will all fit in just waiting on the airlock bag to arrive)
Hunka Bivi
Airo Mat
Gamma Head Torch
2 Pairs Spare Socks
TW Ultralite Tarp

Backpack – Mountain Warehouse Peregrine 30l (Would like to get rid of this in the future but unable to get Revelate Tangle or equivalent frame bag before the WRT)
3l Hydration Bladder
Map
Food
Alpkit Candy Cane Pegs
Tools & Spares
Topeak Multitool
Pump
Spare Tube
Patch Kit
Chain Tool
Tyre Levers
Split Link
Compass
Medical Kit
Coleman F1 Lite Stove plus Gas

Still Need
Map – will purchase after May 1st!
Spare Chain Section
Something to cook with (Alpkit Ti mug if they restock or equivalent)
Groundsheet?
Decent Front Light for MTB?
Water Filter?
Tarp Pole?

Is there anything im bringing you probably wouldnt? Anything which is of the utmost importance to bring along? Any advice would be fantastic.

Cheers

Zog
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I'd ditch the second pair of socks and not worry about the front light.

Not sure you'll get the Hunka and mat in an 8L airlok together inside a Tiger.

Here's my bike that I loaded yesterday for my trip to Scotland tonight. The inverted traingle bag was only £4 off ebay and the fuel tank is a custom double length one from bikepack.eu. Lots of options out there...

Scotland Trip by DKNWHY, on Flickr
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

"Tools & Spares
Topeak Multitool
Chain Tool
Tyre Levers"

you sure there is no duplication in that lot?

no need for a light, headtorch in an emergency will be ok.

have you got some kind of warm jacket?

and worryingly I see no mention of a waterproof!
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Emergency loo roll, measured and stored folded neatly in a doubled up zip-lock bag.

Ear plugs handy for if its a windy night.

Compass.

Lhoon or spork or......

Matches (in dry bag of some sort)

Groundsheet not needed, wet ground won't penetrate mat and bivvybag.
Personally I prefer to carry a travel tap water filter, but where ur going, if ur sensible you will be fine.

Good list though btw , looking largely sorted. Enjoy!
Matt

Post by Matt »

Go to the Flickr page and roll over stuff for a description. This amount worked well for me.

WRT Gear Laid Out by fantasticmrmatt, on Flickr
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

WRT lite is just one night isn't it? You have 3 pairs of spare socks listed and I would take just one. Sleep in them overnight and wear the next day - dry socks are good. If you have Seal Skins or the like take them if wet.
Sufficient water around, should not need a filter.
Unless you are planning to ride at night your headtorch should be sufficient. Emergency lights always worth taking though.
Whiskey?

You can leave your cars ar BB HQ for the event. There is a campsite about 1-2 miles away you can stay the night before.

Depending on map requirements look at OS custom maps. It can be centred on Stuarts, or to the North / South depending on where route goes, meaning you need just one. I did this last year for full WRT and just got it all on one map.

Just go out to enjoy it and see where you end up. You said 20-25 miles but you might only do 15. Or you might do 40. Have fun.

http://www.shop.ordnancesurveyleisure.co.uk/
Zoglug

Post by Zoglug »

Thanks for all the advice! There were many things i had not considered, maybe the most important being loo roll!!! :shock:

With regards to the waterproof, i will be bringing one, it was on a separate kit list which was items ill be wearing to cycle. I guess i just presumed it would be raining with it being Wales! And the warm jacket is something i am looking to pick up during the next month. It will either be the £25 Karrimor, or one from Alpkit if i decide to splurge a little.

Ill certainly be checking out the custom OS maps. I don't think ill get very far, so i believe that ill get by with just a standard map but lets see once the co-ordinates arrive!

Last night i did a test run of my Mountain Lion/13l Airlok. It was a very tight fit trying to get the sleeping bag in along with my sleeping gear, i could only roll the top once, which made me worry it would get very wet. Once my other airlok bags arrive today, ill be able to play about a little more over the weekend with how i can get everything i need in, and if a frame bag will be an absolute necessity for the weekend.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Zoglug wrote:Last night i did a test run of my Mountain Lion/13l Airlok. It was a very tight fit trying to get the sleeping bag in along with my sleeping gear, i could only roll the top once, which made me worry it would get very wet.
A minimum of 3 rolls is recommended to ensure your contents stays dry.
Matt

Post by Matt »

At the end of the day don't stress about it.

Did 100 miles along SDW & 2 nights with this. (50L Rucksac :shock: )

Tarp was just Damp Proof Course

Bike loaded and set to go by fantasticmrmatt, on Flickr

After that my gear got better as I learn't what worked, still learning, still changing stuff
Eoghan

Post by Eoghan »

Zoglug wrote:
Last night i did a test run of my Mountain Lion/13l Airlok. It was a very tight fit trying to get the sleeping bag in along with my sleeping gear, i could only roll the top once, which made me worry it would get very wet. Once my other airlok bags arrive today, ill be able to play about a little more over the weekend with how i can get everything i need in, and if a frame bag will be an absolute necessity for the weekend.
Tip for packing a sleeping bag into a dry bag: roll the top down a few times BEFORE you pack the sleeping bag in. That way you'll still manage it but have some room to spare and with a nice quick movement you'll be able to get all the rolls you need.
Zoglug

Post by Zoglug »

I had a little spare time yesterday, so I fitted the mountain lion and tiger and started to see what I could reasonably fit in the two bags.

In the front bag, I would only fit in the sleeping bag. In the tiger, I managed to fit the sleeping mat, Bivi bag and my head torch, so I was very happy with that. I have got a frame bag on the way, so hopefully ill be able to pack everything up and take it out one evening this week to see how I cope with it!
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Are you taking the blood bowl figures too? :P
Zoglug

Post by Zoglug »

rudedog wrote:Are you taking the blood bowl figures too? :P
Ill need something to do of the evening! :lol:
Zoglug

Post by Zoglug »

Down Jackets - Im just wondering if one of these is likely to be required for the WRT or would i get away with just a fleece? The cheap Karrimor ones are not in stock in my size, the next up seem to be Alpkit's Filo which is probably pushing my budget for this gear to the very maximum and im not sure i can sneak one past the missus :roll: especially as ive still a few bits to pick up before the end of May!
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I've just done scotland without one. I' used HH merino top and bottoms with a montane fireball smock and a had and was perfectly warm. Don't forget you'll have a sleeping bag with you so can use that to keep warm in the evening.
Dry socks and gloves are also the key.....
Chew

Post by Chew »

Zoglug wrote:Down Jackets - Im just wondering if one of these is likely to be required for the WRT or would i get away with just a fleece? The cheap Karrimor ones are not in stock in my size, the next up seem to be Alpkit's Filo which is probably pushing my budget for this gear to the very maximum and im not sure i can sneak one past the missus :roll: especially as ive still a few bits to pick up before the end of May!
You dont need a Down Jacket. Its a nice to have on a cold night around camp but not a necessity, and a fleece will work fine. Like Dan says having warm hands a feet make a big difference to feeling warm. Get yourself down to your local pound shop and see if you can find some cheap wolly gloves to wear on a night (like the ones you used to wear tas a kid).

Probably the cheapest and best piece of kit i have
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Uniqlo do cheap and comparable weight jackets to the Karrimor ones.

You could also consider a vest, which Karrimor do too (as do uniqlo). Very versatile either on its own or combined with a cag / windproof). Little lighter and more compact too.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »