ICE?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

ICE?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Apart from the obvious, ie sticking an emergency number in your mobile, does anyone carry anything else?

I noticed last year that flatfishy had an 'Asbo tag' around his ankle, so hopefully he'll crash/die upside down ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Taylor

Re: ICE?

Post by Taylor »

Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Never really thought about it, just assumed they would find "Mum and Dad" on my mobile and ring that. Emergency number on it is a good idea though.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Could be tricky for anyone to dial any number, if its locked with a code.
One way round this might be to have a screen saver picture with your emergency details on
2924 miles per Gallon
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I have a sticker on one of the horizontal vents at the back of my lid and I've written I.C.E on the vertical edge to aid finding it. Tbh, if someone just scoops me up and drops me off at a hospital so I get fixed that'll do. Last time I ended up in hospital on an outing I swore my mates to secrecy. No point my missus worrying unnecessarily. :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I did see these stem top-caps a while ago ... I have to wonder whether someone would spot it/think to look there though.

http://www.kapz.co.uk/kapz---custom---d ... lt-1-p.asp
Chew

Post by Chew »

Mart wrote:Could be tricky for anyone to dial any number, if its locked with a code.
One way round this might be to have a screen saver picture with your emergency details on
The idea is to have it stored on your SIM so that you can just transfer that to another phone. Doesn't matter then if you can't unlock the phone or it's smashed up when you have an accident.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Chew wrote:
Mart wrote:Could be tricky for anyone to dial any number, if its locked with a code.
The idea is to have it stored on your SIM so that you can just transfer that to another phone. Doesn't matter then if you can't unlock the phone or it's smashed up when you have an accident.
Sounds like an almighty faff to swap sims when there are three sizes and you sometimes need tools to remove them. A laminated card in your pocket/stuck to the bars has to be a better option? I'm also not sure what the mad rush is for Joe Public to contact your family? If I was out with a mate he can do it or if solo the Police, can probably work it out from my driving licence, etc.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Actually I've just realised that when I'm out I don't carry any form of id or a phone ... I can feel some Ramboesque dog tags coming on ;)
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Sort of connected, how many people carry a donor card. There's one in my wallet but i don't carry my wallet out on trips. I am registered online though.
FLV

Post by FLV »

tricky stuff.
I make sure my emergency phone (a cheapo pay as you go) has a few calls worth on it (it weighs 67g) and it has obvious numbers on it such as DAD, MUM, WIFE...

I dont call her that, its just an emergency number....honest :D

The biggest thing i have an issue with is leaving a route. In principal a good idea.
For example, yesterday: the good lady wanted to know my route. now living in the peak a day route can pass through 3 or more mountain rescue districts. When I set out she badgered a route out of me but after about 10miles I changed it totally due to conditions on the trail. No mobile signal, no way of updating.
If something had have happened I'd have been 25 miles minimum from where I said.
In my experience, the worse the conditions, the more likely I will have to change the route so the less usefull a left route will be.

Tricky
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

Besides a shed load of metal work in my leg I have a long standing medical condition so have always carried something.

On the phone I have this app;
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ZlLmljZSJd

Its first thing that flashes up when your phone switches but you dont need to unlock the phone to access the info. Good news for 999, bad news for theiving scumbags :D

I also have dog tags with Name, Next of Kin, blood group and medication on.

I work in the health care profession and know what a difference this info can make. If you ride solo you should carry something. The way I look at it its not about letting MUM/DAD/WIFE/SIGNIFICANT OTHER know your OK but having someone to make important decisions about your care when your not able to.

When I broke my leg I was admitted in the evening. The surgeons wanted to leave the op until the morning. This would have left me at very high risk of developing Avascular Necrosis (bone death basically) which would have really complicated my recovery. I was too wacked up on morphine to question it. It was only my better half shouting at them (and me) down the phone telling them to do the operation now, that got it done that evening.

Here endeth the sermon ;)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My Dakota 20 GPS lets me put a message on the first/loading screen. I've put in a home contact number.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I always carry my wallet as it seems foolhardy to leave it in the car (more likely, IMO, to get some scumbag trying to whip stuff). If riding from home it depends but it's often on me, that or a phone.

Otherwise I consider a lot of this stuff falls into, in the nicest possible way, kitchen sink approach. Each to their 8-)