Tarp

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jay91

Tarp

Post by jay91 »

Hi I'm new to this I'm just after some advice on a tarp are they all the same ie cheap eBay ones or more high end stuff also they don't seem to be sold with poles? :)
Trying to ride bikes.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Tarp

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

are they all the same ie cheap eBay ones or more high end stuff
No, not the same. At best cheap(er) tarps will be PU coated nylon which tends to be thicker and the PU coating is pretty heavy. As price increases you should notice that they become silicone coated (silnylon). This is usually much lighter, packs smaller but just as waterproof. If you want to go mad then Cuben tarps are available.

A 'flat' tarp is usually the most versatile but if you don't want to experiment and just want to use a simple A frame pitch, then a 'cat cut' tarp will make pitching much easier. I'm quite a fan of square tarps but they're not easy to find, most manufactures produce rectangular tarps instead.
they don't seem to be sold with poles?
With regard to poles ... any tarp that comes with a pole(s) will be heavy (I'm thinking Vango and Decathlon). You don't actually require a pole but it can often make life easier and certainly opens up different pitching options. There's a few lightweight pole options out there but not much that's light and packs small* Remember that most tarps won't come with pegs or lines either.

*Hopefully this will be addressed quite soon. ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Ahh thanks for the info I think il be looking at the cheaper option . Sorry for all the questions but what's the best/easiest way to set up a trap I've seen pictures of bike wheels being use. :)
Trying to ride bikes.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry for all the questions but what's the best/easiest way to set up a trap I've seen pictures of bike wheels being use.
I favour carrying a pole and often end up with a half pyramid (or similar) set up. As long as the door is away from the weather it offers lots of protection.

johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

£18 from go-Outdoors, RRP £35
Replacing the steel pole & pegs would be a relatively cheap way to save a shed load of weight from it.

It's really designed as an extension for a tent but a wheel under the "tent door" end does the trick if you want it higher at the rear. The pole is in 3 sections so you can have the front lower if you like. Front wheel under one side and bike across the other is another option and removes the need for the pole.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Cheers for the info as u can tel I've go not got much knowledge of bivving looking to get out soon me and my friend mite do the wrt-light
Trying to ride bikes.
rwhite01

Post by rwhite01 »

Hi Guys, I've had my finger hovering over the buy button on the Terra nova competition 1 tarp. Wondering if you have an opinion on it? Or any suggestions on where my £43.00 might be best spent?

I'll Definitely be interested in one of your carbon poles stu...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Hi Guys, I've had my finger hovering over the buy button on the Terra nova competition 1 tarp. Wondering if you have an opinion on it? Or any suggestions on where my £43.00 might be best spent?
They're a good tarp. At 1.5m x 2.5m it's big enough for solo use ... the tarp in the pic up there ^ is 1.4m x 2.3m and I've slept under that in some pretty nasty winter conditions.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I have one and used it all last year including in some pretty poor weather. At 1.5m x 2.5m it's OK but I wouldn't want to go any smaller. My only real criticism is that there are no central tie out points so in high winds it can bow in a bit, I intend to add some to mine. For the money I say it's good value.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

You can also buy tarp clips that avoid the need for sewing.
Adrian Brewster

Post by Adrian Brewster »

Adrian Brewster

Post by Adrian Brewster »

..... too late. Looks like they've sold out. Hope you got one in time.
rwhite01

Post by rwhite01 »

Thanks for the advice guys I missed Terra nova selling them off :( I'll definitely get one based on that feedback though. I'm a fair weather bivi'er and I'd sooner take the 1 man tent than carry that weight in a tarp. What length is the pole in the picture?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What length is the pole in the picture?
My pic features a 1m pole.

EDIT: No, actually it's 120cm but set up at 1m.
Tanglefist

Post by Tanglefist »

Firmo

Post by Firmo »

This may sound like a silly question (I've got loads of them!)

What is the best way to erect a tarp, and is there a good video to demonstrate?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What is the best way to erect a tarp, and is there a good video to demonstrate?
There's no right or wrong way really, everyone tends to have their own ideas and ways of doing things. Get it out in the garden and experiment is the best bet really. Just remember, contrary to many of the pics you see, you are actually trying to get as tight a pitch as possible avoiding wrinkles / creases, etc.

A few ideas:

This might give you somemore ideas:
http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.co ... ovely.html
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

I know It might not be the done thing but I brought this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAMO-CAMOUFLA ... 27c99a835a

It comes in at under 400g on the kitchen scales and at £7.00 delivered to your door, you can't go wrong can you ???

I was feeling a bit flush so I had a two man one as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAMO-CAMOUFLA ... 484c04bb84

If nothing else it lets you decide what size is right for you without spending a fortune.

abuse now please