New bike

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

maxap

New bike

Post by maxap »

Hello,
I am having a bit of a problem finding a MTB for my partner. We live to far away from anywhere with a good selection of bikes to try out, so I am looking online.

She is 5 foot/153cm with an inner leg measurement of 72cm. There don't seem to be many MTBs around for her size, which i am guessing would be about a 14inch frame. Though some sites seem to think she should could ride a 16inch frame with an inner leg of 72cm. Surely 16inches is too big for someone 153cm tall? What do you think?

Anyway, if you got any ideas about MTB makes/models that do the smaller frames, please pass them on.

Cheers
voodoo_simon

Re: New bike

Post by voodoo_simon »

Trek go down to XS, so worth enquiring
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

You'll find that some of the larger volume manufacturers will have stuff. IMHO you should ideally be looking at 27.5" wheel, not 29" as it's difficult to package the big wheels for a small person.

Cube AIM is a good example of a bike with a 14" frame.

https://www.mtbmonster.com/cube-bikes-size-guide/
benp1

Post by benp1 »

What about a quality kids bike?
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

benp1 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:20 pm What about a quality kids bike?
Me thunks precisely. Islabikes or the Hoy bike range. No reason older folk can't ride em.

https://www.islabikes.co.uk/product/bikes/creig/
I'm just going outside ...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What kind of bike is it she'd like? Rigid, hardtail, full sus'?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I was just looking at what Decathlon offer and they list their small as suitable for 5'1" and up.

Then I went and had a look at Evans and there's some interesting stuff - as mentioned Trek do list and sell XS which is good down to 137cm and an inside leg of 64cm. I'm quite taken with the Roscoe range (apart from the name)

Some of the Pinnacle range, namey the Kapur are also available in XS which appear similar in size to the Treks.
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

The roscoe is a fantastic bike, quite the fan of them :-bd
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

My wife is about that size, and rides an XS giant/Liv 27.5" wheel hardtail with a fair bit of seatpost showing. They go down to a XXS in one or 2 models. Only real issue she's found is that there's not enough room for a bottle inside the frame!
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Here's a random idea. If you do Facebook get in touch with Bikeworx Bike Shop in Angeles City. It's my mate in the Philippines, they sell loads of bikes and all their customers are short. My mate is Jake but he has staff.
maxap

Post by maxap »

Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful. I have managed to find a Cube hardtail that seems to be pretty much spot on, - well on paper anyway. It was in stock as well, so will see when it gets here.
Cheers all