Sleeping bag liners

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Borderer

Sleeping bag liners

Post by Borderer »

Talk to me about sleeping bag liners people. What do you use, how much do they weigh and what do you think of them?

I have the following:

Lifeventure thermolite liner from Amazon (£16) weight = 334g. These are our winter liners - very cosy and comfortable as they stretch with you. Downside is weight and bulk. Not sure they add as much warmth as claimed but cosy none the less.

Faux silk Ebay liners from Vietnam (£10.86) weight = 131g. Our summer liners - ok but don't stretch and can feel restrictive - I could really do with an XL and I am not a large person.

Silk liner from Decathlon (£25) weight 110g. Another summer liner - this has ripped really badly, again probably because it doesn't stretch at all. Ok but not that different from the faux liner to be honest.

Can anyone recommend a lightweight summer liner that is either stretchy or big enough not to be restrictive? Or can anyone recommend a lighter weight winter liner that doesn't cost the earth?

Cheers
lune ranger

Re: Sleeping bag liners

Post by lune ranger »

Big fan of silk liners here.
They add a surprising amount of apparent warmth for hardly any weight or bulk.
They are however not stretchy add do add a bit to the faff associated with sleeping bags.
Overall well worth it imo.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I’ve an alpkit silk one. But that’s on the small side too.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

DIY from the same fabric I make my quilts. 7d Ripstop Nylon. 60 g. Main reason I use it is to keep my quilts/bags 'clean'.

Especially when sleeping without or little clothes, silk is superb, only thing that bothers me is it doesn't last long.

Seatosummit make different sizes and seem to last longer than cocoon liners. I never checked, but like with merino, a little polyamide or so will add much to longetivity.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Alpinum wrote:DIY from the same fabric I make my quilts. 7d Ripstop Nylon. 60 g. Main reason I use it is to keep my quilts/bags 'clean'.
That's interesting, do you have any more info? I had a search in the MYOG forum and couldn't find anything. It sounds sweaty to me! Is it?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Borderer wrote:
Alpinum wrote:DIY from the same fabric I make my quilts. 7d Ripstop Nylon. 60 g. Main reason I use it is to keep my quilts/bags 'clean'.
That's interesting, do you have any more info? I had a search in the MYOG forum and couldn't find anything. It sounds sweaty to me! Is it?
I’m assuming it will be similar 7d fabric that would be used on quilts and sleeping bags. In which case - no, not sweaty.

I guess a simple sleeping bag liver is one of the easier sewing projects to take on. :-bd
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

ianfitz wrote:I’m assuming it will be similar 7d fabric that would be used on quilts and sleeping bags. In which case - no, not sweaty.

I guess a simple sleeping bag liver is one of the easier sewing projects to take on. :-bd
Cheers Ian. Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can buy this stuff? I have been googling but only come up with some that is either very expensive or sounds like it will be crunchy and not very soft.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Borderer wrote:
7d from Extremtextil.de, just a very regular 7d with a little dwr. Slightly tapered towards the bottom and tight enough, so my arms don't get lost, loose enought to wear a mid weight down jacket in it. Seam is flat-felled. 7d is a superb fabric, my winterbag, summer quilts and down jackets/jumpers are made of it. Silky to the touch and once you manage to sew such a thin and slippery fabric, take it's properties into account, it's a job of less than an hour.

If you're a bit too warm (then you have too much stuff with you clearly...) it's less comfy than silk, clings much easier to the skin, but at least for me that's hardly ever the case.

I also have a life outside forums and strava, instagram and twitter. I have made quite a few stuff myself, none of which will be found on here. Sorry :wink:
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Alpinum wrote:
Borderer wrote:
7d from Extremtextil.de, just a very regular 7d with a little dwr. Slightly tapered towards the bottom and tight enough, so my arms don't get lost, loose enought to wear a mid weight down jacket in it. Seam is flat-felled. 7d is a superb fabric, my winterbag, summer quilts and down jackets/jumpers are made of it. Silky to the touch and once you manage to sew such a thin and slippery fabric, take it's properties into account, it's a job of less than an hour.

If you're a bit too warm (then you have too much stuff with you clearly...) it's less comfy than silk, clings much easier to the skin, but at least for me that's hardly ever the case.

I also have a life outside forums and strava, instagram and twitter. I have made quite a few stuff myself, none of which will be found on here. Sorry :wink:
Nice one, thanks for that.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

ianfitz wrote: I’m assuming it will be similar 7d fabric that would be used on quilts and sleeping bags. In which case - no, not sweaty.

Very, very similar. Montbell, Berghaus, Rab, all the very same with a tight Ripstop weave of 1 mm.
Cumulus though uses a slightly different, more open Ripstop weave. But still, properties will be so similar, I don't think we can notice a difference in use.

In a way it's not sweaty, but once you are slightly warm, many fabrics are less clingy. Cotton, silk, jersey (which also is polyamide like nylon and has some elasthane/spandex/lycra too).

Forgot...
Here's the link
https://www.extremtextil.de/ripstop-nyl ... 2g-qm.html
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

A silk one I from Decathlon or Mountain Warehouse (I can't recall). Works fine other than the faff of getting out without pulling it out of the bag, or getting back in when it's dark and I can see nowt.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Alpinum wrote:Forgot...
Here's the link
https://www.extremtextil.de/ripstop-nyl ... 2g-qm.html
Thanks for that. Was struggling to find it even with the help of google translate..... Quite pricey then at €26 per m and with a roll width of only 140cm it would make for a very snug liner unless I I had a seam down both sides and didn't just fold it over. The weight of it sounds good though.

So far it's looking like a XL Vietnamese one is the best deal for me for a summer liner. £12 or thereabouts for a rectangular one (I could taper it if it was annoying).
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TREKSILK-Reg ... ctupt=true

Also thinking of these for a winter liner Mountain Warehouse microfibre £9 each with discount for buying two - around 225g if online sources to be believed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mountain-War ... 2749.l2649

I suspect the Treksilk ones would probably come in at around 150g each so 150g vs 225g isn't that big of a deal. If the microfibre ones are stretchy enough it might just be worth sticking with them.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I bought a fleece liner from Go Outdoors and it was huge so I cut down its length and width to come up to my armpits and fit my circumference. Great for winter and not too weighty or large to pack.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Something like this at 4+ euro would be ok. https://www.extremtextil.de/en/nylon-ta ... price.html

Guess it will be soft/silky(ish) like most sleeping bags. Ive has fabrics from them before, decent company

There’s a few lighter and pricier fabrics too in the uncoated section.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I had a Rab silk liner (long version) which worked well till fell apart with heavy use. Nice boxy shape and 132g.

Now have a stretchy silk number from Sea to summit, pretty sure it's this? https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ummy-p2510 or similar

The added stretch seems to prevent the liner disappearing in the night.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Ray Young wrote:I bought a fleece liner from Go Outdoors and it was huge so I cut down its length and width to come up to my armpits and fit my circumference. Great for winter and not too weighty or large to pack.
Thanks for that Ray. I guess I like a long liner as faces and necks are dirty things and it is where they rub that a bag can really show the dirt on a long journey. I like having the liner come up over the edge of the bag for this reason. If you ever get chance to weigh yours then I would be interested to hear what it comes out at.
ianfitz wrote:Something like this at 4+ euro would be ok. https://www.extremtextil.de/en/nylon-ta ... price.html
Cheers for that Ian, that is interesting. Yeah, price is a very big consideration for me right enough. By the time you add postage and thread to 2 metres of that stuff, as cheap as it is, it probably won't beat the cost of the Treksilk liners. I always start off with great intentions re MYOG but its very hard to compete with far east prices for the finished article. If I really can't find what I want though then a home-made option would be worthwhile.
Jamesh wrote:Now have a stretchy silk number from Sea to summit, pretty sure it's this? https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ummy-p2510 or similar
The added stretch seems to prevent the liner disappearing in the night.
Yeah I was looking at those but the price is prohibitive. Usually there is a cheaper version somewhere but in this case I can't seem to find one. They do look great though. Pretty much exactly what I want. Nobody ever sells them second hand on eBay so folk must like them. I thought if I could find the material that they use I could make a panel to fit into my existing faux silk liners to allow them to give a little, but I can't even seem to find that fabric anywhere either.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

a DIY version would be grand i imagine, stretchy panels do aid restless sleepers and not tying yourself in knots(me)
That price is scary I know, I paid under 50 for it in a close down sale..still a chunk for something so rudimentary
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Ooooh - just found the Stretchy Fabric page on extremetextil.de

https://www.extremtextil.de/en/fabrics/ ... astic.html
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

Borderer wrote: Also thinking of these for a winter liner Mountain Warehouse microfibre £9 each with discount for buying two - around 225g if online sources to be believed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mountain-War ... 2749.l2649

I suspect the Treksilk ones would probably come in at around 150g each so 150g vs 225g isn't that big of a deal. If the microfibre ones are stretchy enough it might just be worth sticking with them.
I don't know much about liners, but I have the MW one and it's crap! Too small (for me) - ripped the first time I used it at the slit at the top. It isn't a 'microfibre' as you'd expect (like a fleece), but more like one of those packable shopping bags (slippery, non-stretch plasticky feel). I would definitely avoid it.

As such, I just ordered an XL silk from the other link so thanks for that! Hopefully will be a step up :-bd :-bd
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I've got a Trekmates Polyester/Cotton liner from Go Outdoors a while back. It's quite roomy for me at 5ft6in (42 chest) and comes up over the top of the bag. It weighs about 160g and althoughI can'tremember what I paid it was certainly a lot cheaper than the silk versions. (I got it to try and limit the salt coming from the head neck area onto the sleeping bag whilst sea kayaking) It does add some warmth but I wouldn't say it was a winter liner. Might be worth a look?
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Borderer- the fleece liner I cut down now weighs 360g. Below are pics of its size compared to my bag. It looks big loosely rolled up but I don't pack it that way. I stuff it in with my sleeping bag or in the tapered end of my seatpack so it actually packs down much smaller. Like I said I cut it down to come up to my armpits then cut the circumference to fit. I only ever use a liner in winter as I find the faff of getting into a bag annoying enough as it is.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/169272415@N07/Q67577
https://www.flickr.com/gp/169272415@N07/4278Z4
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

In the interest of balance... I was bought a very nice silk liner as a present. I used it for a year or so, but I can't say I noticed any extra warmth, and I found I got tangled up in it, and it would invariably end up scrunched up at the bottom of my bag after I got up for a pee and didn't have the dexterity/impetus to get back into it half-asleep. So I sold it on and don't miss it. YMMV.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

RAB mummy liner user here. Not crazy expensive but not the cheapest. Wish I’d gotten one years ago. Its working well in Antipodea where its 20 deg. each night and no need for my down bag.

Greetz

S.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Scattamah wrote:RAB mummy liner user here. Not crazy expensive but not the cheapest. Wish I’d gotten one years ago. Its working well in Antipodea where its 20 deg. each night and no need for my down bag.

Greetz

S.
Go on rub it in Scott , can't wait for your return your gonna be needing a high altitude sleeping bag to get used to the temps again buddy =))