Bike for me lad

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BigdummySteve

Bike for me lad

Post by BigdummySteve »

My boy John has recently started to take an interest in coming out with me, he surprised me by joining me for my November BAM. If fact he insisted that we ride from home rather than cut a few miles off in the car :-bd

At the moment he’s riding a carrera abyss, a small framed 24” hybrid. It’s like a miniature 29er, big wheels fitted into a small frame. It’s lasted him two years and now we need the next step up. His inseam is 24” so he’s a little way off needing a 26” wheel bike, any suggestions on decent bikes, I’m apparently allowed a budget of around £400 although I might be able to stretch it a little if no one is looking :???:

I
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
voodoo_simon

Re: Bike for me lad

Post by voodoo_simon »

How tall is he?

Frog do a lovely range of bikes, so worth looking at. Their mountain bikes are over budget but do come with air forks, so better than most manufacturers by giving a usable fork

Also, if he’s 10 or older, Trek do the Marlin range in a 13.5’’, 650b etc and are excellent value. £395 for Suntour forks, hydraulic brakes, Shimano gears etc and a new, lovely looking frame for 2019
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

A mate bought his grandson a orbea 24" mtb for xmas. It was a nice bike with rigid forks and seemed to be much better specced than the equivalent priced frog or spesh. https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles/ki ... am-disc-19

Edit - found the link and orbea not merida!
Last edited by fatbikephil on Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Go 2nd hand - loads of parents spend good money, then the child outgrows it and you get a good bike for your budget.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

htrider wrote:A mate bought his grandson a orbea 24" mtb for xmas. It was a nice bike with rigid forks and seemed to be much better specced than the equivalent priced frog or spesh. https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles/ki ... am-disc-19

Good call, the Orbea MX 24 Team Disc is definitely on the radar

mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

BigdummySteve wrote:
htrider wrote:A mate bought his grandson a orbea 24" mtb for xmas. It was a nice bike with rigid forks and seemed to be much better specced than the equivalent priced frog or spesh. https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles/ki ... am-disc-19

Good call, the Orbea MX 24 Team Disc is definitely on the radar
Got my 8 year old girl a MX24 Team but the v-brake version. I am very impressed with it for £300.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

How old is he Steve ? Moved my lad onto a xs 27.5 when he was 10 ,it looked huge but when he was on it he was really comfortable and confident ,a bit too confident to be honest ,stand over height not a problem as the top tube was shaped ,it's worth taking him into a shop and have him sit on a few different wheel sizes , otherwise it can work out quite expensive ,he only lasted a year on the xs giant and then he nicked my medium one, as for orbea they are great bikes ,bought him a 27.5 mx10 for Christmas come with part xt and part deore groupset ,36 rear and 32/22 up front ,the 22 works really well for him as he doesn't get on with going up and is too confident coming down
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got a 14" Inbred looking for a new home Steve. I built it for Dee but she's never really ridden it. I reckon it'd suit someone down to about 5'1".
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

IME they dont use a 24 " bike for very long and most who an ride one can get away with riding a XS 26 er - which are incredibly good value for what you get

I got mine an older Orange 5 - not exactly a Bike packing bike but second hand straight tube 26 ers is where the bargains are though many parents seem t up the price of the XS frames a bit
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I've got a 14" Inbred looking for a new home Steve. I built it for Dee but she's never really ridden it. I reckon it'd suit someone down to about 5'1".

Hmm sounds interesting, he’s 4’8 at the moment I did read something on the tinterweb about running 24” wheels and shorter cranks, swapping them out to 26” as they grow what do you think?

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It might fit him Steve. I'll go and throw a tape across it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

With the saddle dropped as low as possible, it measures 25" vertically from saddle to floor. Due to the heavily sloping TT, stand-over is also 25".
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Sounds like it would fit him fine with perhaps a set of shorter cranks from thorn, what sort of cash would you want?

Also have you asked Dee? I don’t want to be cake less ever time I come to wales

Al

Post by Al »

Stu I think the horse has just bolted but if for any reason your inbred doesn’t suit Steve I’d be really interested for my daughter - been trawling eBay for 14” frames for ages!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd like £400 for it ideally. I'll reach it out tomorrow and do some pics. Of the top of my head - Rockshox something or other, Deore groupset inc brakes with a 36t out back and 22/32 up front with a Blackspire Dually chain device.
Al

Post by Al »

Sounds great but I’ll have to pass stu - bit over my budget in current climate!
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’ll be up Saturday if you bring it along I’ll have a look.
Will have to wait until next payday with it being right after Christmas :-bd