Packraft fanciers ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Packraft fanciers ...

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've been talking to Supai Adventure Gear in the States who manufacture packrafts. The things are tiny when packed (about 1l bottle size) and weigh very little (700g), they also have plenty of tie-down points for strapping your bike down ... they'll add extra reinforcement to these if you tell them you're carrying a bike.

Anyway, they've sent me a link to a nice little film of them on the Colorado river. Well worth watching for the stunning location even if you couldn't care less about rafts ;)

http://vimeo.com/53744103
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dan_K

Re: Packraft fanciers ...

Post by Dan_K »

vaguely exciting!

Not much use for me though unfortunately...
gairym

Post by gairym »

Brilliant, something else added to the list of 'things I must own', just what I need.

Thanks Stuart!

*EDIT: Since reading/posting I've done nothing but research packrafts and canyoneering - I think I'm hooked :D
Gari

Post by Gari »

mmm, not convinced by that. I can't imagine anything weighing 700gm is going to be strong enough to cope with having a bike strapped to it,no matter how many tie ons you get 'em to fit. plus it looks very unstable to paddle, the guy spends the few seconds we see of the raft in action with his feet over the side!!!
Ian

Post by Ian »

The issue with the one in the vid looks to me that it wouldn't have enough buoyancy for person + bike?

I'm pretty sure I read/heard somewhere that Flyweight Designs don't recommend strapping bikes to theirs because they're not strong enough for it.
griffdowg

Post by griffdowg »

Gari wrote:mmm, not convinced by that. I can't imagine anything weighing 700gm is going to be strong enough to cope with having a bike strapped to it,no matter how many tie ons you get 'em to fit. plus it looks very unstable to paddle, the guy spends the few seconds we see of the raft in action with his feet over the side!!!
Interesting video.

700g is light. My Alpacka comes in at 2.4kg including the spraydeck.

http://siroccoverland.com/2012/06/27/al ... me-out-uk/

These things are surprisingly buoyant and yes they are hard to paddle as you have no skeg. His feet were over the side because he had his pack in the raft. when I bought mine I was worried it was going to be too big but after taking it out a dozen times I made the right choice. The key to using them is a shallow set-off point that you can walk in (off a jetty isn't easy!) and a good secure strap system to secure your bike or pack. I have floated with a daysack onboard and its surprisingly well held.

still not tried my bike on it yet but as I have had one of them stolen and leaving the UK next year im not sure im going to get the chance now. It will however be coming with us to Siberia and Mongolia in the rover :D

what you have to remember is these were never designed to be used as proper kayaks etc. They are designed to be as light and packable as practicable.

Depending on the length of your float session also factor in the weight of your paddle and PFD. Mine splits into 4 sections and is pretty small.

G
Gari

Post by Gari »

Hi Griffdowg, I spent 20 years as a kayak coach and river guide, and have paddle " real" kayaks on rivers up to and including class IV water, so I am sticking with my original assessment, YMMV of course.
Having enough displacement is one thing, being stable while doing so another.
As for his legs being over the side ' cos his day pack is in the way, he would struggle to fit a boat on I would say.

Still prefer an Alpacka.